TimandJoyce

Flying with dogs

10 posts in this topic

I deeply apologize if this topic is floating around somewhere, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

My dog is a medium sized, so I know she'd have to go into cargo. Also, I'll be moving to SC, so driving is out. I'm hoping that maybe someone else flew with a larger dog, and how that went. I need to know which airlines take them, and the rules and regulations after we arrive. I've heard she'd need to go into quarantine for a month. I'd also make sure her shots were up to date, and I know she's healthy enough for flying. It probably won't be until summer, so I thought that if I could find a red eye, and non stop it would help with her confusion. I would be coming from Vancouver Island and at this point, I'm not sure if I'll fly off the Island and transfer or take the Clipper ferry from Victoria to Seattle and fly from there... :help:

Thanks!

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I deeply apologize if this topic is floating around somewhere, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

My dog is a medium sized, so I know she'd have to go into cargo. Also, I'll be moving to SC, so driving is out. I'm hoping that maybe someone else flew with a larger dog, and how that went. I need to know which airlines take them, and the rules and regulations after we arrive. I've heard she'd need to go into quarantine for a month. I'd also make sure her shots were up to date, and I know she's healthy enough for flying. It probably won't be until summer, so I thought that if I could find a red eye, and non stop it would help with her confusion. I would be coming from Vancouver Island and at this point, I'm not sure if I'll fly off the Island and transfer or take the Clipper ferry from Victoria to Seattle and fly from there... :help:

Thanks!

Hi there- I don't have personal experience with this, but I did work at a Vet. Hospital for a couple years and remember people re-locating with their pets. I'm not 100% sure on my information, but don't think he'll need to be in quarantine if he is up-to-date on all his vaccines and has not had a recent illness. The only time I remember an animal patient needing to be quarantined was when they were moving to the UK- not the USA.

Also, I think you will need to have a vet check the same week as your trip, bringing a letter from the vet to the airline stating that your animal is in good health. Many vets will give you a dose of a calming medicine for your animal so that they will not be so stressed with the trip (and will prevent them from puking in their crates).

My best advice would be to call the airline much in advance so you can make sure you have time to prepare and follow their procedures. I expect that every airline will be a bit different.

2004-09-03 : Met at college in USA and went on first date!

2008-01-02 : Married in Canada.

2008-01-07 : DH returns to USA.

2008-04-20 : Finally received marriage certificate from the province and filed 1-130 Petition.

2008-07-08 : I-130 Approved!

2008-09-15 : Received DS-230 and I-864.

2008-10-14: Mailed DS-230 and I-864

2008-10-30: DS-230 and I-864 received by NVC

2008-11-04: RFE

2008-11-18: Overnighted missing documents to NVC

2008-11-26: Case Complete at NVC!!

2008-03-02: Medical in Toronto

2009-03-23: Interview! Approved!

2009-04-04: The big move. POE: Blue Water Bridge. All went well.

2009-04-16: SSN arrives in the mail.

2009-04-24: PR card arrives in the mail.

Timeline

I have not to the USA with dogs. keep in mind some airline will NOT let a dog travel in cargo during the summer months due to heat. I dont think a cdn dog with up to date shots and proof of health from the vet will require quarantine, but I could be wrong

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsro...ld.ctt/pets.pdf

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there! I flew with my dog from Edmonton down to Boise Idaho. We flew Alaska Airlines in April 08. They were really fabulous and had put a sticker on top of her kennel that had a few stickers that they would detach and have the flight attendant bring it to me so that I would know she was onboard and in the cargo area. She's a pretty small dog, 7 pounds but had to go in cargo because she's so long! You need to make sure that there are containers of food and water in the dog's kennel along with some absorbent material in case they have an accident.

Speaking of accidents, I read somewhere that you should stop allowing your dog to eat about 8-10 hours before the flight and only allow them a very tiny bit of water right before you fly. This will cut down on the chances that they'll make a mess.

This might sound silly or gross but for absorbent material I put a t shirt that I had worn the day before, that smelled like me, into Kaia's kennel. She's got severe separation anxiety so I wanted her to be more comfortable.

Definitely check with your airline to see if they take dogs. I know that on Alaska Air's website they said at what temperature they wouldn't put a dog in the hold, they let you know if there was an extra fee, and everything else that you need. Kaia had her shots about a week before we left as well as a vet exam to certify that she was healthy. I just showed that to the airline when we checked in and it was fine.

When all was said and done it was just fine. We had to make a connection and they got her onboard no problem. She was fine too! She was really happy to get out of her kennel once we got here but she hadn't made any messes and she didn't look too freaked out at all!

Good luck, it can be nervewracking but it will be fine. Just double check with the airline!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Timeline

I believe the only state in the USA that requires a pet quarantine is Hawaii. As long as you have a health certificate from your vet (usually valid for 10 days) saying that your pet is in good health to travel you will be fine. I would recommend having the rabies vaccination up to date, just in case you have an over-zealous border officer. :thumbs:

When we crossed the border, they could have cared less about the cat in the car. They didn't ask to see anything.

When you decide to book, ensure that your pet is checked all the way through, unless you're changing airlines completely along the way. That way you will not have to pay the pet fees again. Those can be expensive.

Our cat held up really well flying. It was the drive that made him uneasy. While we were in the air, the NWA flight attendant came to assure us that Thomas had made it onboard and gave us a slip of paper that had been connected to his carrier.

Depending on how your pet is with travel, I would personally select whichever way was fastest to your destination. Have the move over and done with asap. Just my personal opinion.

Thanks everybody for your great advice! I'm glad to know she won't be quarantined! She's a very healthy dog, and I'll be sure to have all her shots updated before I move.

I'll contact the airlines listed that would take her, and ask about night flying. I figured it would be a lot cooler if we went that way, and landing would be early enough in the morning it shouldn't be too warm yet. * she's guessing here*. I'm sure some company would fly her!

Thanks again!!

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks everybody for your great advice! I'm glad to know she won't be quarantined! She's a very healthy dog, and I'll be sure to have all her shots updated before I move.

I'll contact the airlines listed that would take her, and ask about night flying. I figured it would be a lot cooler if we went that way, and landing would be early enough in the morning it shouldn't be too warm yet. * she's guessing here*. I'm sure some company would fly her!

Thanks again!!

This website may be of help too:

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/i...elcustoms.shtml

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Usually only island nations ( and I guess island states ) require animals to be quarantined. Islands tend to be rabies free and want to keep it that way.

~ Catherine

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.