Kirsten UK

Does my 11 year old need to have the Medical too?

17 posts in this topic

Ok, I have read the info on the website, but as children don't need to go to the interview I assumed they wouldn't need the medical too?? Does anyone know for sure if I have to arrange an extra appointment for her? If so, do I fill out two medical questionnaires etc? Thanks

Ok, I have read the info on the website, but as children don't need to go to the interview I assumed they wouldn't need the medical too?? Does anyone know for sure if I have to arrange an extra appointment for her? If so, do I fill out two medical questionnaires etc? Thanks

If she is immigrating, she will have a medical, submit the questionnaires, submit photographs, and be charged for the exam. They would probably like to know that there will be two of you at your appointment to allow the extra time in their scheduling.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Ok, thanks. So double the expense too huh?? I know the medical costs a bit less for kids....but its still all going to add up especially with the vaccinations. I guess all will be explained when I get packet 3.....does everyone wait for packet three or just go ahead and send off the forms once they know London has received the case as they are on their website anyway? I'm impatient I know :D

Just because the case has arrived in the mailroom in London doesn't mean they are ready to receive your files. That's kinda why they mail out the P3 letter. It's the way they let you know they have your case logged in and are ready to work with you. But, that said, if you call Dept of State in the US (DOS) you can get more specific info on what's happening in London than you can from the Embassy line you pay to call. So if you find out your case is logged in and know you're LNDxxxxx number, then you are pretty safe to mail in the forms. Too early and they will receive your forms and think 'who the heck is this?' if you catch my drift. So too early could slow you down if they toss your 'unknown' forms aside rather than matching up with your paper file received from NVC.

It is generally believed that if you put a marriage or travel date that's a little sooner they will try to accomodate you with an interview that meets your schedule. If you indicate you aren't leaving for 3-4 months, they will put you farther back in the interview queue.

You can try to get the immunizations from you NHS service. Many have received them free, but they aren't required to do so strictly for immigration purposes.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First of all, don't get the vaccinations done at the medical. It costs WAY too much. Go to your local GP's office beforehand and make an appointment with the nurse practitioner. She can look over your records and give you the vaccinations you need. Your child will need the HepB vaccination and the NHS does not give this out for free. However, they charge less than the medical doctors.

I paid 25 quid for the course of 3 shots for my son (over the course of 3 months). The medical will accept you having started the course (so you don't have to wait until the course is finished - that can be done after the medical).

Then, you bring a copy of the vaccination records with you to the medical (make sure the nurse has signed and dated it). That should save you a fair few quid.

Your child will have to have a medical, although it isn't as extensive as with an adult. They don't have to have an x-ray, HIV/syphilis tests, nor do they have to flash their "bits" at the doctor to prove they're male or female!

Good luck!

Edited by Magenta

First of all, don't get the vaccinations done at the medical. It costs WAY too much. Go to your local GP's office beforehand and make an appointment with the nurse practitioner. She can look over your records and give you the vaccinations you need. Your child will need the HepB vaccination and the NHS does not give this out for free. However, they charge less than the medical doctors.

I paid 25 quid for the course of 3 shots for my son (over the course of 3 months). The medical will accept you having started the course (so you don't have to wait until the course is finished - that can be done after the medical).

Then, you bring a copy of the vaccination records with you to the medical (make sure the nurse has signed and dated it). That should save you a fair few quid.

Your child will have to have a medical, although it isn't as extensive as with an adult. They don't have to have an x-ray, HIV/syphilis tests, nor do they have to flash their "bits" at the doctor to prove they're male or female!

Good luck!

Thanks Nick and Magenta. I'm assuming the 'bits flashing' part is a joke :lol: Or do I need to book in for a bikini wax too :lol:

Edited by Kirsten UK

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Thanks Nick and Magenta. I'm assuming the 'bits flashing' part is a joke :lol: Or do I need to book in for a bikini wax too :lol:

It's no joke, you need to prove that you are female.

I was lucky I had the male Irish doctor and he did not look at my lady bits and just asked if I did breat exams

Think it might be because there was no nurse there with him, and I believe that the law states that a female should be present if the male doctor is doing such a exam.

I was asked by the radiologist if I wanted a female doctor and I stated I did due to the flashing, but none were available so I got away with it

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You'd think as I have given birth to a child that would be enough proof, but hey ho, i'll do what i'm asked!

No, you really do have to flash your ladyparts. I mean, it's literally just a flash, but be prepared! :D

I was lucky I had the male Irish doctor and he did not look at my lady bits and just asked if I did breat exams

Think it might be because there was no nurse there with him, and I believe that the law states that a female should be present if the male doctor is doing such a exam.

I was asked by the radiologist if I wanted a female doctor and I stated I did due to the flashing, but none were available so I got away with it

And women over 35 have to have a breast exam, if I recall correctly.

I don't think the law states that a male doctor has to have a chaperone, merely that they have to provide (or allow one to be present) if asked. It's nothing to do with the sex of the doctor or the patient. I know plenty of women who go to their male doctors for "private" matters without having one.

10 Nov 08 - I-129F Sent

13 Nov 08 - I-129F NOA1

06 Feb 09 - I-129F NOA2

09 Feb 09 - NVC Received

11 Feb 09 - NVC Left

20 Feb 09 - Packet 3 Rec'd

20 Feb 09 - Packet 3 Sent

24 Mar 09 - Medical

30 Mar 09 - Packet 4 Rec'd

24 Apr 09 - Interview Date

03 Jun 09 - US entry

20 Jul 09 - AOS filed

12 Aug 09 - Biometrics

05 Oct 09 - Green Card rec'd

As far as the NHS is concerned (or at least the hospitals I have worked at) a male Dr or healthcare professional will not do any intimate examinations (breasts or downstairs!) without a female chaperone, simply for fear of litigation.

Hey, I examine womans bits all day long at work, I guess its only fair I get a tate of my own medicine :D

I didn't have to flash my bits either....maybe they had reached their quota by the time they saw me :lol:

As far as the NHS is concerned (or at least the hospitals I have worked at) a male Dr or healthcare professional will not do any intimate examinations (breasts or downstairs!) without a female chaperone, simply for fear of litigation.

Hey, I examine womans bits all day long at work, I guess its only fair I get a tate of my own medicine :D

I wonder why female doctors aren't worried about men accusing them of something. I imagine it would be a relatively easy way to wreck someone's career, whether there was any truth to it or not.

I didn't have to flash my bits either....maybe they had reached their quota by the time they saw me :lol:

When you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. :P

10 Nov 08 - I-129F Sent

13 Nov 08 - I-129F NOA1

06 Feb 09 - I-129F NOA2

09 Feb 09 - NVC Received

11 Feb 09 - NVC Left

20 Feb 09 - Packet 3 Rec'd

20 Feb 09 - Packet 3 Sent

24 Mar 09 - Medical

30 Mar 09 - Packet 4 Rec'd

24 Apr 09 - Interview Date

03 Jun 09 - US entry

20 Jul 09 - AOS filed

12 Aug 09 - Biometrics

05 Oct 09 - Green Card rec'd

Me either, no physical exam to see if indeed I am female :lol:

Yes to the kids and medical though and yes, you will need the extra vaccine, but that comes in handy when you register your kid for school. Schools in CA will not allow a child to attend school that doesn't have a full vaccination sheet completed and I think that's true for most? states.

I was asked about breast exams, but I didn't get one re the over 35 thing, but that was when the medicals were in Birmingham. Things change.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.