r0yalflush

2009 poverty

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I filed my I-129F and got NOA1 in september 9, 2008. I'm wondering if they're going to use the 2008 or 2009 poverty guide line if my fiance interview date is in 2009

also if my income for 2006 and 2007 didn't meet the poverty guide line, can they calculate my current income on each paychecks, and add them to see if it meets the guide line?

for example, every 2 weeks i get one paycheck, each paycheck is about 900, one month would be 1800, and they time that by 12 to find out if i can meet the povert guide line??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I filed my I-129F and got NOA1 in september 9, 2008. I'm wondering if they're going to use the 2008 or 2009 poverty guide line if my fiance interview date is in 2009

also if my income for 2006 and 2007 didn't meet the poverty guide line, can they calculate my current income on each paychecks, and add them to see if it meets the guide line?

for example, every 2 weeks i get one paycheck, each paycheck is about 900, one month would be 1800, and they time that by 12 to find out if i can meet the povert guide line??

If your interview is after April 1 they will use the new guidelines.

The USCIS and the consulate will not calculate or estimate anything, ever. YOU do that. If your "current" (and "current" means the day you complete the I-134) then it is your current bas annual salary. With the information you provided here your current annual income is $21,600. They use GROSS income, not after tax "net" income. If your "take home" pay is $900 every two weeks then your annual income is well more than $21,600. I would say you are fine for a family size of two (you and your fiancee)

If your current income is above the guidelines you past tax returns are just back-up, don't worry

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The USCIS and the consulate will not calculate or estimate anything, ever. YOU do that. If your "current" (and "current" means the day you complete the I-134) then it is your current bas annual salary. With the information you provided here your current annual income is $21,600. They use GROSS income, not after tax "net" income. If your "take home" pay is $900 every two weeks then your annual income is well more than $21,600. I would say you are fine for a family size of two (you and your fiancee)

If your current income is above the guidelines you past tax returns are just back-up, don't worry

Thank you very much for your respond. Actually i have a family size of 3 since my fiance just gave birth. I just look at the 2009 poverty guidelines, i need to make about 1,900 a month in order to meet the guidelines. Right now i make only 1,800 a month, can i work overtime to reach 1,900 a month. Can i do this 2 months in a row before the interview date? then show them 2 months worth of paystubs that shows about 1900 a month?

Can i do this 2 months in a row before the interview date? then show them 2 months worth of paystubs that shows about 1900 a month?

If you're cutting it that close - it might be prudent to have a co-sponsor just in case. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you very much for your respond. Actually i have a family size of 3 since my fiance just gave birth. I just look at the 2009 poverty guidelines, i need to make about 1,900 a month in order to meet the guidelines. Right now i make only 1,800 a month, can i work overtime to reach 1,900 a month. Can i do this 2 months in a row before the interview date? then show them 2 months worth of paystubs that shows about 1900 a month?

The answer is a definite "maybe". Yes you can calculate it that way. Take your total GROSS income for the period between Jan 1, 2009 and the day you complete the I-134, including overtime. Divide by the number of months in the calculation, then multiply by 12. IMPORTANT...have your employer write a letter stating your base income and that you are eligible for overtime and state that you are currently earning at the rate of $xx,xxx annually. You should be OK. I am not eligible for overtime but for bonuses. I did the same and the letter from my employer was stated just as this and it was accepted in Kiev. However my base pay is well above the poverty guidelines and I do not know if that made a difference. It would have if they discounted the bonuses. I stated my income as annual including bonuses. I also attached check stubs for some months prior to the interview. They did not even look at it. So it will depend on how your consulate considers it, they are able to discount anything they want.

If you are this close to the guidelines, I recommend a co-sponsor just to be safe.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The answer is a definite "maybe". Yes you can calculate it that way. Take your total GROSS income for the period between Jan 1, 2009 and the day you complete the I-134, including overtime. Divide by the number of months in the calculation, then multiply by 12. IMPORTANT...have your employer write a letter stating your base income and that you are eligible for overtime and state that you are currently earning at the rate of $xx,xxx annually. You should be OK. I am not eligible for overtime but for bonuses. I did the same and the letter from my employer was stated just as this and it was accepted in Kiev. However my base pay is well above the poverty guidelines and I do not know if that made a difference. It would have if they discounted the bonuses. I stated my income as annual including bonuses. I also attached check stubs for some months prior to the interview. They did not even look at it. So it will depend on how your consulate considers it, they are able to discount anything they want.

If you are this close to the guidelines, I recommend a co-sponsor just to be safe.

i wish i can have a co-signer for this. The US EMBASSY in Vietnam does not accept co-signers. They denied 95% of the people with co-signers. So i am doing this all on my own. I think i am right at the poverty guidelines, hopefully. Sucks that i have to deal with the 2009 guidelines instead of 2008 though.

Edited by r0yalflush

Timeline
Does the consulate in HCMH care about income in 2006 and 2007?

What did you earn in 2008?

When you say you earn 1800 per month, is that gross or net? You use gross for any financial calcs you perform for the Service.

i quit my previous job in april 2008, and started my new job in july 2008. So my income tax return for both jobs during the year of 2008 was about 11,000. 1,800 a month is my current gross income :innocent:

Edited by r0yalflush

Filed: Other Timeline

i wish i can have a co-signer for this. The US EMBASSY in Vietnam does not accept co-signers. They denied 95% of the people with co-signers. So i am doing this all on my own. I think i am right at the poverty guidelines, hopefully. Sucks that i have to deal with the 2009 guideliens instead of 2008 though.

Good for you for looking for clues at your consulate.

Here's another clue for you - what do you know about the 5% of beneficiaries who were approved with another sponsor? Were those sponsors family members?

Timeline

i wish i can have a co-signer for this. The US EMBASSY in Vietnam does not accept co-signers. They denied 95% of the people with co-signers. So i am doing this all on my own. I think i am right at the poverty guidelines, hopefully. Sucks that i have to deal with the 2009 guideliens instead of 2008 though.

Here's another clue for you - what do you know about the 5% of beneficiaries who were approved with another sponsor? Were those sponsors family members?

I don't the answer to your question, but everyone that had experienced with the US EMBASSY in Vietnam, clearly said they hate and will not accept co-signers. Only 5% of them got a pink slip, that could be any reasons.

Edited by r0yalflush

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't the answer to your question, but everyone that had experienced with the US EMBASSY in Vietnam, clearly said they hate and will not accept co-signers. Only 5% of them got a pink slip, that could be any reasons.

Well, I'm only asking you because you can't always believe what "everyone" says. ;)

"Everyone" will also tell you that the consulate in Manila won't accept a "co-sponsor" either, but they do. What Manila frowns on is sponsorship by parties who are not vested in the relationship between the petitioner and the beneficiary. Friends and acquaintances usually don't have much long-term interest in whether or not the marriage survives - family usually does. Family is more likely to give financial support than friends.

Are you following me?

Timeline

Well, I'm only asking you because you can't always believe what "everyone" says. ;)

"Everyone" will also tell you that the consulate in Manila won't accept a "co-sponsor" either, but they do. What Manila frowns on is sponsorship by parties who are not vested in the relationship between the petitioner and the beneficiary. Friends and acquaintances usually don't have much long-term interest in whether or not the marriage survives - family usually does. Family is more likely to give financial support than friends.

Are you following me?

I understand what you're saying, but i've done lots of research on this. Finally came to a conclusion where 10 out of 10 people who has been through this at the US Embassy in Vietnam results in denial because of co-signers. Therefore, i rather take the chance of doing this on my own which i think i am the edge of the poverty line

Edited by r0yalflush

Timeline
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=19802

Read the posts of this member. You might need to go back a ways in your reading.

His situation may help you decide what to do.

i can't access to his posts, can you link me one of his post please?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.