Zoe and Hal

Changing my name

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I want to change my name once we're married but I'm not sure where to do this? Seeing as I don't have a social security number yet I can't change it there - where do I start??? Any thoughts would be appreciated... Thanks!

Welcome to the states and Congrats on your incoming wedding, once you are married, you can start out with social security Department take your marriage certificate there to have the name change,

Go to DMV to change your name on your driver's license, your bank account, they can issued you new cards on your married, and basically just start using your new name from now on.

Edited by Nikita2Charles

Gone but not Forgotten!

Timeline
Welcome to the states and Congrats on your incoming wedding, once you are married, you can start out with social security Department take your marriage certificate there to have the name change,

Go to DMV to change your name on your driver's license, your bank account, they can issued you new cards on your married, and basically just start using your new name from now on.

Should I get a social security number before the wedding and does it have to be in the same state? i'm in ohio but i'm going to be in illinois for a couple of weeks and want to get my aos forms sent out asap.... do i need to change the name for social security first? or just send off the forms with my new name? i feel like there is something i'm missing... sorry if this is a stupid question!

Filed: Timeline

The name on file with the DHS will become your legal name. When you file for EAD and AOS, you will be able to change your legal name there. If you are interviewed for your AOS, you can make another change at that time.

Timeline
The name on file with the DHS will become your legal name. When you file for EAD and AOS, you will be able to change your legal name there. If you are interviewed for your AOS, you can make another change at that time.

sorry to be stupid - but you're saying i just put my new name on the forms and that's it? i don't need to go anywhere/do anything else? thank you so much!

Claudeth changed her name when we filed AOS. When she got her EAD card we went to social security and changed her name there and also to the Filipino embassy and changed her name on her passport. That was a wild time had by all :wacko:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Are you just talking about taking your husband's surname? Or do you want to go from being Zoe to Anna?

If it's your husband's surname you want to use, there is no name change form to fill out.

• Marriage certificate will be issued in whatever name you tell them when you apply for the license. Zoe Mary Smith marries Hal Jones. She can be Zoe Mary Jones, Zoe Smith Jones, or stay Zoe Mary Smith. Pick your name when you apply for the license.
  • Apply for AOS, EAD, AP as Zoe <new last name>
  • Open a bank account as Zoe <new last name>
  • Get a driver's license as as Zoe <new last name>
You just get your new things in your married name and that's it. It's best to be consistent and use the name on all your applications. The only exception...you should go ahead and get your Social Security card in your maiden name because they will want to issue it as it appears in their database, which is as you filled out your I-94 card. You can go to any social security office because it's a federal government thing, not state goverment. You don't have to have a SSN to file AOS. Just put "none" in the blank. Get your SSN before your I-94 expires or you have to wait for EAD or AOS. See the VJ Guides page for a link to how to get your SSN. Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.