k34

Interview question

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would have thought I could find this info here, but didn't see anything that addressed this issue exactly...

My fiance (the USC) apparently does not have his birth certificate. I didn't think this was a problem since a copy of his passport was sufficient in place of the birth certificate when we filed the I129f. Now that I am going through the interview items to have though, it looks like I will need to have this. Did anyone else not have their USC's BC (or certified copy of)? I am worried that he won't be able to get one in time, and am annoyed at myself for missing this detail! :help:

• 7/7/08 -- I-129f sent
  • 7/9/08 -- I-129f received at CSC
  • 7/24/08 -- NOA1 (finally!)
  • 12/2/08 -- NOA2 (WOOT!!!!)
  • 12/8/08 -- received at NVC
  • 12/22/08 -- packet 3 (with packet 4 attachment instead of checklist :P)
  • 12/29/08 -- packet 3 sent back with bits and pieces that I pulled together to make up a packet 3
  • 1/5/09 -- actual packet 3 received, but found out by via e-mail that they were satisfied with what I had already provided
  • 2/10/09 -- found out via call to DoS that my interview is scheduled!
  • 3/16/09 -- interview!!!! APROVED!!!
  • 4/7/09 -- MOVE!!!!!!!!
    Crossed at Detroit/Windsor Tunnel... pretty painless, about 45 minutes, inexperienced officer, asked for and received EA stamp
  • 4/13/09 -- Married in New Orleans!!!!!!!!
  • 5/30/09 -- Filed AOS/AP/EAD
  • 6/1/09 -- AOS etc received in Chicago

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I would have thought I could find this info here, but didn't see anything that addressed this issue exactly...

My fiance (the USC) apparently does not have his birth certificate. I didn't think this was a problem since a copy of his passport was sufficient in place of the birth certificate when we filed the I129f. Now that I am going through the interview items to have though, it looks like I will need to have this. Did anyone else not have their USC's BC (or certified copy of)? I am worried that he won't be able to get one in time, and am annoyed at myself for missing this detail! :help:

Well that is odd. I just had a look at the K1 checklist and I don't see any mention of the USC's birth certificate.

Where did you see this, what does it say - could it be a new requirement?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I also remember having to provide a copy of Glen's BC.... I recall this because it was at his parents house and his Mom had a hard time finding it, but finally did and I was freaking out thinking he didn't have one.... I had to send a copy with the K1 package. Maybe this is a new requirement in the past year or so.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Required Document Checklist – K-1 Fiancé Visa

Required Documents & Forms for the K-1 Fiancé Visa:

(Please make sure these are all enclosed in the package you send to the USCIS.)

***All documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a notarized translation***

Document Check Here

FROM THE PETITIONER (U.S. CITIZEN):

1)

Form I-129F

Petition for Alien Fiancé ___________

Completed & Signed

2)

Form G-325A

Biographic Information ___________

Completed & Signed by Petitioner (U.S. Citizen)

3)

Form I-824 (Optional)

Application for Action on Approved Application or Petition ___________

Completed & Signed by Petitioner (U.S. Citizen)

4)

A written statement describing the circumstances under which you and your

Fiancé met and your intention to marry within 90 days of her arrival. ___________

5)

Copy of Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate ___________

6)

Copy of Passport ___________

7)

Proof of termination of any prior marriages (copy) ___________

8)

Two USCIS Color Photographs (see specification sheet) ___________

9)

Evidence that you have met and evidence of the relationship:

Letters ___________

Emails ___________

Telephone Bills ___________

Photographs together ___________

Receipt from engagement ring(if available) ___________

Visa stamps in passport from visiting fiancé ___________

Copies of airline tickets from visiting fiancé ___________

FROM THE BENEFICIARY (FIANCÉ):

10)

Form G-325A

Biographic Information ___________

Completed & Signed by Fiancé

11)

Two USCIS Color Photographs (see specification sheet) ___________

12)

Proof of termination of any prior marriages (copy) ___________

^^ I went by the above checklist, so I assumed you needed to send in the BC copy. But you didn't and never got an RFE.... so maybe you don't need it? I dunno, I wanted to be on the safe side I guess.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

^^That is for the K1 petition. The OP was inquiring about what is needed at the interview.

The packet I received from the Vancouver Consulate made no mention of my USC finace's BC. They have proof of his citizenship from the approved petition. What they want is your BC - the long form.

Edited by eyoa

Timeline
^^That is for the K1 petition. The OP was inquiring about what is needed at the interview.

The packet I received from the Vancouver Consulate made no mention of my USC finace's BC. They have proof of his citizenship from the approved petition. What they want is your BC - the long form.

Yeah I just re-read the letter, and I guess you are right. Probably a combination of the somewhat vague wording on the checklist and reading other people's lists of what they took with them that got me worried about that.

• 7/7/08 -- I-129f sent
  • 12/29/08 -- packet 3 sent back with bits and pieces that I pulled together to make up a packet 3
  • 1/5/09 -- actual packet 3 received, but found out by via e-mail that they were satisfied with what I had already provided
  • 4/7/09 -- MOVE!!!!!!!!
    Crossed at Detroit/Windsor Tunnel... pretty painless, about 45 minutes, inexperienced officer, asked for and received EA stamp

Timeline

I know we needed the originals of the copied documents we had sent in for both parts of the process. They looked at the originals for my and my husband's birth certificates and his divorce decrees. The interviewer actually scrutinized one of the divorce decrees and got a 2nd opinion on it because they hadn't seen one like it before and weren't sure if it was an original or not (Texas).

Your husband should be able to order an official copy of his birth certificate through the vital statistics office for where he was born. Sometimes this can be in State records, sometimes it is in the county records. Do an online search for where he was born and find out where they keep their birth records. He should be able to order a copy without much delay and if necessary courier it to you in time for the interview.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
I know we needed the originals of the copied documents we had sent in for both parts of the process. They looked at the originals for my and my husband's birth certificates and his divorce decrees. The interviewer actually scrutinized one of the divorce decrees and got a 2nd opinion on it because they hadn't seen one like it before and weren't sure if it was an original or not (Texas).

Your husband should be able to order an official copy of his birth certificate through the vital statistics office for where he was born. Sometimes this can be in State records, sometimes it is in the county records. Do an online search for where he was born and find out where they keep their birth records. He should be able to order a copy without much delay and if necessary courier it to you in time for the interview.

Thanks! I looked into it and it seems like he should be able to get it pretty quickly. Alternatively, since we used a copy of his passport for the application, I was thinking I should maybe have his original passport. He seemed ok with letting me have it, which surprised me... I wouldn't want to let mine out of my possession! But then I use mine pretty much weekly... he only needs his a few times a year.

• 7/7/08 -- I-129f sent
  • 4/7/09 -- MOVE!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.