JennaLyn

what do you do to pass the time?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay...so he's only been gone just about a month now but it feels like an eternity(not that I have to tell you all that) He was here for 3 months and won't be back until mid April.

What do you all do to prevent yourselves from going crazy? Due to some medical issues I am not working right now..so I am HOME going insane..the weather doesn't help. I live in the Southeastern part of Massachusetts(right on the RI border) so its been cold(with a few exceptions last week) so it seems all I do is sit and think..and its driving me crazy!! We have done everything by the book..and we are going to apply for a K1 visa..probably at the end of the year...but still, I come here and read..I am a bit shy and I know nothing about immigration/visa's or what a croa2 or whatever it is means( I don't mean to sound ignorant) I just really don't know..that's why I'm here so I can learn these things..

But while reading, I get nervous about him having to cross the border again. Since he was stopped and turned away the last time he came here..because we had no idea he needed to bring proof of his ties to Canada(we're so new at this stuff) but once he got all of that(2 days later) he was allowed entry no problem...but I still worry!! Does it ever end?

What do you all do to pass the time? I have children and they do keep me busy..but heck they miss him almost as much as I do. Especially my boys since their dad abandoned them.

I CANNOT wait for the warmer weather to arrive so we can all get out and go for walks, especially along the coast(beach) and head out to see some Red Sox games...but for now..UGHHHHH!!

anyway..that's my vent for the day( I should have posted this in the Vent section perhaps?) but I just wanted to know how you all handle(d) being apart.

Thanks so much and Happy Family Day or Presidents Day..wherever you are!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah just try to keep yourself busy and keep reminding yourself that this is just a small chunk out of your life.. when you are finally together forever this will all be just a distant memory...

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I joined a gym, go to classes. Read alot of books/magazines, explore my new neighborhood. Learning how to cook and bake alot better, since I have alot of time on my hands! Clean the apartment, and spend lots of time on VJ :lol:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

You're lucky you can see each other so often...that must be wonderful! It isn't so simple for us as a drive over the border, we are a couple of long and expensive flights apart. I am Canadian, but am a permanent resident in New Zealand.

I worked, up until last week, which kept me busy 12 hours a day. We kept in touch on days on with email and chat. On days off, we got a lot of use out of the webcam, so I could sit and talk, or sew, or whatever. We had major issues with thime zones, and date lines, so after a day shift by the time I could get home it would be 0300 where he was. And he would wait :)

I kept busy I guess, in the main. Read a lot, stayed occupied with whatever I could find. I can say it hasn't been easy.

Almost over now, I fly out in two weeks, and I cannot wait :yes:

Glad you found VJ, when you are ready to look into the process or have questions, the answers are here. The added avantage is you will have really good company, with people who know what it is like (F)

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You mentioned that you have some medical issues that are preventing you from working, but have you considered volunteering? You can probably find a volunteer position working from home making phone calls or sending emails. It might make you feel like you're accomplishing something and helping others while you're waiting.

Timeline
While I was waiting? Well... for fun I'd play Grand Theft Auto: Vice City by myself and Guild Wars alongside my wife.

Better yet, skip Guild Wars and move right on to World of Warcraft :D yes Dead - I play both :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I went to the Jersey Shore a lot...I had a fierce tan that year. :lol: I watched A LOT of tv. In fact, I watched Seasons 1-7 of ER...one episode a day...

I joined my local YMCA which was fun for awhile but it was so small and not worth the money.

Explored my new hood. I shopped a lot.

I don't know. To be honest, without work, I was really depressed.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
I went to the Jersey Shore a lot...I had a fierce tan that year. :lol: I watched A LOT of tv. In fact, I watched Seasons 1-7 of ER...one episode a day...

I joined my local YMCA which was fun for awhile but it was so small and not worth the money.

Explored my new hood. I shopped a lot.

I don't know. To be honest, without work, I was really depressed.

It's amazing how much we all need to define and identify ourselves through work. I have to admit, I cleaned alot, organized and made dinner every night - of course I had the time. About once a week I had a melt down that my husband needed to save me from :wacko:

I wish now that I had enjoyed my small hiatus more and really relaxed but there was too much stress about immigration ####### and wondering whether I would get a job quickly (which I did)

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

It's true. Now that I look back on it I wish I would have enjoyed those months a little bit more. I was also having mini-break downs once a week trying to comprehend why I would leave my job, my friends, my family to be a couch potato. I really need to work in order to feel useful. That is just how I am.

But you do get through it...if you are strong enough and can tough it out. This process isn't for everyone. I'm sure as many positive stories we have heard, there are just as many who made the move to the US and ran away back home within weeks or months..not being able to handle it.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

While I do look forward to going back to work again, getting into a routine, making $$ - I am trying to enjoy the time off. I know alot of people would enjoy a few months off work, and that's what I'm trying to do. Instead of being bored/sad/depressed about not working, I'm looking on the other side. It's temporary, once I start working I'll be busy again. So may as well enjoy the time off while I can! I'm relaxing and trying to be productive :D

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

While we're apart I spend all of my free time at the gym, with friends and family or making jewelry as I'm really into looking for vintage findings and beads and then making things. I also really love shopping, but have been doing less of it now that I'm on my final stretch and moving soon. I also love reading and watching tv, but still never seem to have time for that!

I'm really looking forward to being unemployed... and I know I say that now.. but I plan to join a gym, work on my jewelry more and actually build up my online shop, explore my new city, learn to cook and bake, read all of the books that I haven't had a chance to read that are sitting on my shelf and go to the library in my new city for books, work on my resume and portfolio and just chill. I also will need to work on plans for my wedding and I plan to make my own invitations, spend time researching flowers, making my table cards etc. so I'm looking forward to having time for that.

Is there anything you've always wanted to go? Paint your house? Reorganize a messy room? Start scrapbooking? Learn to knit? Now is the time!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
While I was waiting? Well... for fun I'd play Grand Theft Auto: Vice City by myself and Guild Wars alongside my wife.

Better yet, skip Guild Wars and move right on to World of Warcraft :D yes Dead - I play both :)

I tried WoW for a few months. I didn't care for it at all (seemed too much like EverQuest), but I know some people who're practically addicted.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.