Bern.

Boyfriend or Fiance?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you have nothing to hide, it really shouldn't be that painful. There were times where I thought some of the questions were unnecessary, but at the end of the day, US BP really had no reason not to let me in. I was never breaking any laws.

If you are nervous, that usually means you are trying to hide something..so just Relaxxxx.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think I'll just say fiance. No reason to lie...I just don't want to be get denied. But yeah, it's just my nerves. I'll probably go to the airport super early just in case. :) And um, I'll have a return ticket and proof of employment, and proof of registration in school but I'm not able to get a copy of his orders saying that he is to be deployed March 5th.

I think I'll just say, ''fiance before he is deployed on March 5th.'' if they ask. :P

Should my ties be good though? >>

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The last time I went through they didn't ask me who I was visiting, but I was going to say fiance if they asked.

When I came back into Canada I just said boyfriend and took my ring off to avoid dealing with any ring issues. Probably not the moral thing to do... but I REALLY did not want to give Canada a depost or whatever and my ring is quite expensive so it would've been alot...

Now I'm not crossing again until I move so I'm glad about that!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Don't they record it in the system? My only problem is, I always put a home address on my customs sheet and they ALWAYS tend to ask about it. Unless I declare food, then they skip me and go for the food.

Anyone with experience bringing over maple syrup? My fiance's mom wants a few bottles. :P

And yeah, after this trip, I'm not passing over until 2010 unless I go to Disney land or something. :)

dev356pr___.png

Timeline

I brought down maple syrup! left it in my main suitcase! I never mentioned it, they never asked!! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

Here you go..... this is a valuable site: CBP - Find Answers

Stop freaking out. Tell the truth always. Have evidence to back up your statements. The more you work yourself up, the more the CBP officers are going to wonder why you're so nervous. You have done/are doing nothing wrong. You are guilty of nothing. Stop trying to find something to feel guilty about.

Have a nice trip. :)

iagree.gif

Timeline
Don't they record it in the system? My only problem is, I always put a home address on my customs sheet and they ALWAYS tend to ask about it. Unless I declare food, then they skip me and go for the food.

Anyone with experience bringing over maple syrup? My fiance's mom wants a few bottles. :P

And yeah, after this trip, I'm not passing over until 2010 unless I go to Disney land or something. :)

I always bring maple syrup, they sell it at the duty free shop in Pearson! I'm sure it's allowed, I don't see why not. It's not meat or dairy.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

They sell it past customs in Calgary too, but like it's cheaper to buy it in a store. :P But I might wait on it, I already have tons of smarties to declare! His younger brothers want to see Canadian smarties...since I saw smarties in the USA and shouted, THOSE ARE ROCKETS. And I got a ton of funny looks.

Anyway...I'm fine now. And I've also noted that I'm nerve free talking to the guy, it's before I even step foot in customs is when I'm like oh dear. :P

dev356pr___.png

Timeline
They sell it past customs in Calgary too, but like it's cheaper to buy it in a store. :P But I might wait on it, I already have tons of smarties to declare! His younger brothers want to see Canadian smarties...since I saw smarties in the USA and shouted, THOSE ARE ROCKETS. And I got a ton of funny looks.

Anyway...I'm fine now. And I've also noted that I'm nerve free talking to the guy, it's before I even step foot in customs is when I'm like oh dear. :P

On one visit I brought a box of 50 Smarties that I got from Costco.... they really didn't care, anytime I've brought candy/chips food stuffs they don't pay attention. I always declare it too.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife brought down chocolates once. She checked the box "bringing in food" (or whatever it said) and U.S. Customs asked about it, but didn't have a problem. They seem to care about fruits and vegetables. Maple syrup shouldn't be a problem.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

On that article, that couple was nailed because they made a material misrepresentation to the officer. What that means is if your misrepresentation would make a material difference in an officer's determination of your admissibility, it carries significant penalties. THe CBP officer is the sole judge on whather your statement is a material misrepresentation and there is no appeal once that determination is made.

As a former CBP officer, It it my opinion that there is a material difference in the strength of your relationship and therefore your ties to the US between the terms boyfriend and fiancee. BOth connotate a relationship, but one has a much higher level of commitment.

If you have a fiancee, I would use the term fiancee... If the commitment to marriage isn't there yet, then use boyfriend. I believe most people on here have made that commitment and therefore should use the term fiancee and allow the CBP officer to make the decision on your admissibility. YOu've come to far to find yourself with a ban on admission to the US because of a difference in terms.

If you come prepared, the fact you have a fiancee in the US shouldn't be a bar.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

Wow. You got to love the people that have been behind the scenes!

Well, I have a letter of employee and my work schedule for the week I return and the week after that, as well, I have my managers card. As well, I've gone back to school so I am bringing proof of registration. (:

So I leave Saturday, wish me luck!

dev356pr___.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.