MARM

Freaking Out!

10 posts in this topic

Gosh, I know I must be driving everyone nuts already with my frequent posts regarding preparing for the interview, but I am freaking out!

My friends all lovingly diagnosed me with "OCD" according to societal norms since elementary school days, so this kinda gives an idea of where I am coming from... (I don't actually have OCD, but I tend to check and double check everything and freak out :wacko::bonk: ...)

So these are the questions driving me insane, I appreciate anyone's input please!

1.) My fiance applied for and received his UK police certificate in December (He received it December 18, 2008). It is still valid, correct? ACPO suddenly didn't change something or did they come up with newer ones that the embassy is looking for?

2.) I-134 and supporting documents include copies of tax returns and W-2s: Does the embassy keep any of these? I know the embassy keeps the original I-134. But what about the supporting documents? Tax returns are like 20 pages each for 2006, 2007, and 2008, should I be making duplicates of all these and duplicates of W-2s/employer letters?

3.) Does the embassy need my original divorce decree from my fiance at the time of interview? I am the USC (the divorced one), my fiance (never married) is the one interviewing.

4.) And I have heard that they ask for the USC's passport copy or proof of US Citizenship of the petitioner, a notarized copy of passport or birth certificate, should I worry about this and send my fiance these as well? I don't want to send more documents than he needs because it is a needless hassle and too much paperwork and resulting confusion is the LAST thing we want.

5.) What about the originally filed I-129F? NOA2? Please tell me that the embassy will not ask for the original NOA2, it is not an issue sending it, but the fact that it is something close to impossible to re-obtain if God-forbid it gets lost in the mail or misplaced, it would be added stress for me to send it to my fiance from here. What about a copy of the entire I-129F originally filed? From what I have read in the reviews, it is not mentioned as being asked for at the interview.

6.) My understanding is that my fiance needs to take with him exactly what is on the IV-15 Checklist and documents of evidence of meeting/relationship for the interview. Am I right? Or is the embassy going to instruct my fiance on what he needs to take to the interview in addition to the instructions in packet 3?

This is so nerve-wracking!

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

Gosh, I know I must be driving everyone nuts already with my frequent posts regarding preparing for the interview, but I am freaking out!

My friends all lovingly diagnosed me with "OCD" according to societal norms since elementary school days, so this kinda gives an idea of where I am coming from... (I don't actually have OCD, but I tend to check and double check everything and freak out :wacko::bonk: ...)

So these are the questions driving me insane, I appreciate anyone's input please!

1.) My fiance applied for and received his UK police certificate in December (He received it December 18, 2008). It is still valid, correct? ACPO suddenly didn't change something or did they come up with newer ones that the embassy is looking for?

No, it is valid for a year

2.) I-134 and supporting documents include copies of tax returns and W-2s: Does the embassy keep any of these? I know the embassy keeps the original I-134. But what about the supporting documents? Tax returns are like 20 pages each for 2006, 2007, and 2008, should I be making duplicates of all these and duplicates of W-2s/employer letters?

I am just taking copies of hs W2's, I dont have the tax returns, you can make a copy for yourself if you want to, not sure if they keep them, but someone who has had the interview will come along soon and confirm what they keep

3.) Does the embassy need my original divorce decree from my fiance at the time of interview? I am the USC (the divorced one), my fiance (never married) is the one interviewing.

If you want to take a copy then take one you have already sent that the divorce decree with the original petition so they have already verified that you are divorced, otherwise you would have not got this far the petition would have been denied so taking a copy is not necessary

4.) And I have heard that they ask for the USC's passport copy or proof of US Citizenship of the petitioner, a notarized copy of passport or birth certificate, should I worry about this and send my fiance these as well? I don't want to send more documents than he needs because it is a needless hassle and too much paperwork and resulting confusion is the LAST thing we want.

No I am not taking it, just incase they cant find anything and for peace of mind I am taking the copy of the 129 and it is in there

5.) What about the originally filed I-129F? NOA2? Please tell me that the embassy will not ask for the original NOA2, it is not an issue sending it, but the fact that it is something close to impossible to re-obtain if God-forbid it gets lost in the mail or misplaced, it would be added stress for me to send it to my fiance from here. What about a copy of the entire I-129F originally filed? From what I have read in the reviews, it is not mentioned as being asked for at the interview.

Just take the copy of the 129 with you it is not required but take it for peace of mind incase they cant find anything, I am

6.) My understanding is that my fiance needs to take with him exactly what is on the IV-15 Checklist and documents of evidence of meeting/relationship for the interview. Am I right? Or is the embassy going to instruct my fiance on what he needs to take to the interview in addition to the instructions in packet 3?

Take with prrof of ongoing relationship, it seems in the UK that theyont always ask to see it as it is not a high fraud country. The embass is not going to tell you what to bring. Take with proof of meeting if you have met again since filing the petiton, phoe records, e-mails, pics, chances are tha they wont ask to see them but have them incase they do

This is so nerve-wracking!

Now calm down a bit, I know it is stressfull I have my interview in under 3 weeks and now you are making me panic all over again hahahah

The Embassy in London wants him to bring what's on the checklist. The rest is VJ hysteria IMO. It's your choice how much you want to worry beyond what's on the London list.

For the copies of copies question just ask yourself..."Is this the only copy of this document I have in the world and would I be sorry if they kept it?" If it is, then have a photocopy to go with it for them to keep.

• Example, the only copy of your tax return and W2. If you don't have another one, then make a photocopy and don't give up your only one. If you've got more in your file cabinet, then one copy for him is enough.
  • Example, his only certified birth certificate. He wants to keep that, so needs a photocopy of it to hand over for the file after they verify the original.
  • Example, his police certificate. He wants to keep it, so shows the real one and gives them a photocopy for the file.
If you can easily replace something because you've already made photocopies, then it doesn't matter if he hands it over.

(Just a little comment on the police certificate. Nick is newly in the US job seach mode. Almost every application asks you to give your driver's license number and sign a statement saying they can check your criminal background. Since many won't get a driver's license immediately, he is commenting that he can provide a UK police background check document complete with photo id if they would like that. It's just kind of a nice touch to be able to offer that, so he's glad he ordered a second copy and didn't give up his only original to London.)

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Moved to Embassy forum.

Just an off topic, personal opinion comment on moving this thread:

This forum, where the original post landed after being moved, is called US Embassy and Consulate General Discussion.

Her questions were not of a general nature. It was London specific. It seems appropriate to post it in the UK regional where there are many readers who have recently been to the same specific Embassy and are familiar with the procedures in London. Someone reading this from Equador or the Philippeans might need to follow totally different anecdotal experiences to prepare for the differences in consulates. For example, in the Phils, lovely scapbooks of the couple seem to be expected while London never looks at that stuff. If a poster wants input from country specific people, I don't see why they can't post in the regionals.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Because this is what the Regional forums are for...

Topics of discussion may include travel, moving, what to eat and any other experience you may wish to share or inquire about. Have fun!

Part of the problem with keeping it in the UK forum is that there are more than a few UK people who don't ever go into the UK sub-forum, whereas pretty much everybody on VJ will be passing through the Consulate forum at some point or other.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Because this is what the Regional forums are for...

Topics of discussion may include travel, moving, what to eat and any other experience you may wish to share or inquire about. Have fun!

I think that makes enquiring about it in the UK forums valid as putting together documents for the embassy interview can be classified as an experience.

Part of the problem with keeping it in the UK forum is that there are more than a few UK people who don't ever go into the UK sub-forum, whereas pretty much everybody on VJ will be passing through the Consulate forum at some point or other.

and then there are those UK people who only ever end up in the consulate forum because we followed a moved post as most of what is here seems not specific to us /shrug

Edited by Talyss

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent : 2nd July 2008

NOA1 : 25th July 2008

NOA2 : 28th November 2008

NVC Received : 2nd December 2008

NVC Left : 12th January 2009

Consulate Received : 26th January 2009

Packet 3 Sent : 27th January 2009

Interview: 19th February 2009

Visa in hand : 24th February 2009

Flew to US: 28th February 2009

Wedding Day 10th March 2009 in snowy Colorado

AOS Journey

AOS package sent : 24th March 2009

NOA: 31st March 2009

AOS transferred to CSC: 13th April 2009

Biometrics Appt: 23rd April 2009

AOS approved 13th May 2009

Green Card received 9th June 2009

Stuck in AP at NVC thread

UK AOS Progress Timeline

If anyone has a problem with this, or any other posts, being moved please speak to a moderator.

I don't think anyone is upset about the post begin moved. I think people are saying it may be easier for people to find this info in the UK specific forum since the questions all relate to London specifically and there are related posts in the same regional forum by me regarding these subjects. But we do appreciate the mods doing their job, and we understand... :star:

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.