bryonm4

Has anybody tried this

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Has anybody that was denied a K1 visa in Vietnam gotten married to there Fiancee in Thailand? I have had several people tell me that it can be done however several others tell me it cannot. I have not seen or heard of it being done in the last 5 years.

I plan on getting married on the 28th of febuary so I would like to know if anybody else has attempted it within the last 5 years or if anybody has checked into it. Opioins about it also welcome. The problem with doing it is I don't want to be the first to try it and having this end up being a bigger mess.

Many law firms tell you to do it but they don't have anybody you can talk to that has done it and they want a bunch of money up front.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-08-04

Interview Date : 2008-11-06

Interview Result : Denied 2008-12-05

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Marriage : 2009-04-13

I-130 Sent : 2009-04-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-04-29

I-130 Approved : 2009-09-09

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 4 Received : 2009-11-13

Interview Date : 2009-12-23

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2010-01-07

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

By my side happy everafter 02-19-10

Timeline

I have not done it but the fact they want a lot of money should help you answer the question. Also think about this. The Thailand embassy is going to ask why y'all are going through them. You will have to tell them and they will check. The same problems will appear.

You both can get a visa and will get one with patience. Just clear the first petition up and do another. Make sure all is done this time in the m,atter that ensures an issuance.

The US Government isn't totally stupid. If your wife is a VN citizen and has always lived there and was denied a visa from there and then suddenly moves to Thailand and you petition her again from there....well what would you think? For most situations with this process just pretend you are the adjudicator and play the story out for yourself. If you have to squint at it, imagine the real adjudicator's reaction. they have seen just about every angle at this stage.

If you are to get the visa, you will have your best chance in VN. At least you will not have to explain why your wife now suddenly lives in Thailand (unless she is a Thai citizen by chance). Don't make more red flags for yourselves.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You can't outrun a computer database. That might of worked 20 years ago when things weren't as automated but you have to address your issues.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Timeline
You can't outrun a computer database. That might of worked 20 years ago when things weren't as automated but you have to address your issues.

My fiancee is not Thailand but she lived in a Thailand refugee camp for 4 years.

One of the reason the consular listed on the denial was that my fiancee didn't know where I went to school however that wasn't even asked at the interview. How do you address that? There are 4 examples listed on my denial of this same situation. That is the reason for taking it to Thailand.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

My fiancee is not Thailand but she lived in a Thailand refugee camp for 4 years.

One of the reason the consular listed on the denial was that my fiancee didn't know where I went to school however that wasn't even asked at the interview. How do you address that? There are 4 examples listed on my denial of this same situation. That is the reason for taking it to Thailand.

Let me give you an honest assessment based on everything that I have read in your posts. I recall that you had one visit and limited pictures. This was further complicated by the fact that you were engaged very shortly after meeting in person for the first time. These are big red flags for the HCM Consulate. I believe that you were going to get denied based on your circumstances regardless of what your fiancee said or did not say. However, her language complications did not help. And she was probably given a semi-standard rejection letter that the CO did not fully edit properly (that's why it mentioned the college).

The only thing you can do is to learn from this. Visit more (I would not try HCM with less than 3), get married, have lots of proof (pictures, e-mails, letters, phone calls). Get as much as possible. Once you have dispatched with the K1, file the K3 petition and build your evidence folder.

Going to Thailand is not going to change any of the underlying facts. On the contrary, you will have to answer the "why Thailand?" question and also have to deal with yet another language.

Also, the two of you should develop a list of all possible questions and practice them dozens and dozens of times. My list sits at 215 questions that I have taken from every source I could find. We practice them every single day. In English.

From what I've seen you post. You said your fiancee doesn't speak or understand English very good and gave thw wrong answers at her first interview.

Doesn't matter where the interview is that isn't going away and she may still not understand the questions the CO asks her again and she may give the wrong answers again!

3rd time around in immigration isn't a blessing!

You and her HAVE to have your acts together for the second interview.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Let me give you an honest assessment based on everything that I have read in your posts. I recall that you had one visit and limited pictures. This was further complicated by the fact that you were engaged very shortly after meeting in person for the first time. These are big red flags for the HCM Consulate. I believe that you were going to get denied based on your circumstances regardless of what your fiancee said or did not say. However, her language complications did not help. And she was probably given a semi-standard rejection letter that the CO did not fully edit properly (that's why it mentioned the college).

The only thing you can do is to learn from this. Visit more (I would not try HCM with less than 3), get married, have lots of proof (pictures, e-mails, letters, phone calls). Get as much as possible. Once you have dispatched with the K1, file the K3 petition and build your evidence folder.

Going to Thailand is not going to change any of the underlying facts. On the contrary, you will have to answer the "why Thailand?" question and also have to deal with yet another language.

Also, the two of you should develop a list of all possible questions and practice them dozens and dozens of times. My list sits at 215 questions that I have taken from every source I could find. We practice them every single day. In English.

You said something here that I never heard before and it made some sense and that was the form letter. I was thinking it was typed up at the time of the interview. That makes sense maybe they just forgot to edit it. I hope that was the case it does restore some faith back in the system.

Thanks for that perspective

I would like to see your questions if you could provide a link or email them to me I would be greatfull.

We did correct the other stuff. Last month I started saving our chat logs and Im planning my second trip in 7 days to marry and 2 or 3 more after that including the interview. I wonder if they will think were getting married to soon second meeting I hope thats not a big red flag to them.

I hope they go by time not the actuall number of times you have met. Because we have been together 1 year 10 months and its been 14 months since we met in person however I still have a ton of evedence most of wich she brought to the interview 3 months ago. Maybe we should wait 6 months and pile up the evedence before we file. We hired a photographer for the wedding and somebody to film it. I will talk with the attorny and see if waiting before we file will help

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

Timeline
From what I've seen you post. You said your fiancee doesn't speak or understand English very good and gave thw wrong answers at her first interview.

Doesn't matter where the interview is that isn't going away and she may still not understand the questions the CO asks her again and she may give the wrong answers again!

3rd time around in immigration isn't a blessing!

You and her HAVE to have your acts together for the second interview.

I found out her English is better than most that passed it isnt good. She didn't know the name of my school when she was at the interview and I posted that however after that I found out they didnt' even ask the question so I was a little steamed. If we make the corrections then hopefully she will get her visa I hope they decide to give her a chance next time

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

You said something here that I never heard before and it made some sense and that was the form letter. I was thinking it was typed up at the time of the interview. That makes sense maybe they just forgot to edit it. I hope that was the case it does restore some faith back in the system.

Thanks for that perspective

I would like to see your questions if you could provide a link or email them to me I would be greatfull.

We did correct the other stuff. Last month I started saving our chat logs and Im planning my second trip in 7 days to marry and 2 or 3 more after that including the interview. I wonder if they will think were getting married to soon second meeting I hope thats not a big red flag to them.

I hope they go by time not the actuall number of times you have met. Because we have been together 1 year 10 months and its been 14 months since we met in person however I still have a ton of evedence most of wich she brought to the interview 3 months ago. Maybe we should wait 6 months and pile up the evedence before we file. We hired a photographer for the wedding and somebody to film it. I will talk with the attorny and see if waiting before we file will help

Happy to send you the list of questions. I can put it in a pdf. PM me your e-mail address

Timeline

I have this concern They interview My fiancee on 11/06/08 and they said she didn't know a bunch of stuff but she did. Now we are getting married on 02/28/09 that is 16 weeks and 2 days later. I wonder if they will come back and say she didn't know anything about me and yet I married her 16 weeks later so that could work against us. I think it would be better to hold off on the wedding for 6 months however we have known each other for 22 months and thats a long time to date somebody. This time I will have more evedince as in chat logs showing communication also another trip to marry her. I wonder if we wait 6 months to file after we marry if that will help it?

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

I have this concern They interview My fiancee on 11/06/08 and they said she didn't know a bunch of stuff but she did. Now we are getting married on 02/28/09 that is 16 weeks and 2 days later. I wonder if they will come back and say she didn't know anything about me and yet I married her 16 weeks later so that could work against us. I think it would be better to hold off on the wedding for 6 months however we have known each other for 22 months and thats a long time to date somebody. This time I will have more evedince as in chat logs showing communication also another trip to marry her. I wonder if we wait 6 months to file after we marry if that will help it?

I would pose that question to your attorney. But if you can handle the 1.5 year wait to get a visa, visiting again now and then coming again for the marriage may make some sense in demonstrating a bona fide relationship.

Timeline

From what I remember she also didn't speak any Vietnamese either and you had said before she has lived in Vietnam her whole life. You also said she spoke little English. And I remember you saying she was not able to understand many things during the interview because of the limitations of not knowing English and Vietnamese. Those are only two languages she was going to be able to do the interview in. You wanted them to do it in Chinese as that was what she spoke. These would be big red flags to them. Think about why this is so. Also next time tell her to leave the cell phone. I remember you saying she pulled out her cell phone and called someone to answer a question. When I read that I remember saying to myself that the interviewer was pulling out the denial letter at that time.

All of this can be overcome by being well prepared next time. It sounded like one big misunderstanding. As for insisting they get a chinese interpreter I think is not gonna happen. It will have to be in English or Vietnamese. If you insist on going to Thailand to get the visa then please let us know how it goes. Everyone here sees disaster going that route. I am perplexed that any attorney will suggest this especially after being turned down once in HCMC. The embassy will know about this and get the details. One person here has said they were turned down and I am sure there have been others that overcame a denial. Just next time do what is needed to get the visa.

Timeline
From what I remember she also didn't speak any Vietnamese either and you had said before she has lived in Vietnam her whole life. You also said she spoke little English. And I remember you saying she was not able to understand many things during the interview because of the limitations of not knowing English and Vietnamese. Those are only two languages she was going to be able to do the interview in. You wanted them to do it in Chinese as that was what she spoke. These would be big red flags to them. Think about why this is so. Also next time tell her to leave the cell phone. I remember you saying she pulled out her cell phone and called someone to answer a question. When I read that I remember saying to myself that the interviewer was pulling out the denial letter at that time.

All of this can be overcome by being well prepared next time. It sounded like one big misunderstanding. As for insisting they get a chinese interpreter I think is not gonna happen. It will have to be in English or Vietnamese. If you insist on going to Thailand to get the visa then please let us know how it goes. Everyone here sees disaster going that route. I am perplexed that any attorney will suggest this especially after being turned down once in HCMC. The embassy will know about this and get the details. One person here has said they were turned down and I am sure there have been others that overcame a denial. Just next time do what is needed to get the visa.

I did post she pulled out a cell phone at the interview but I found out later that was wrong. She had a consult and I was sent the results of the consult. In the consult she pulled out a cell phone and made a phone call to her brother to find out where he lived and worked. The way the consult was worded I thought she had done that at the interview.

Whats really bad is one of my senators case workers got her confused with another benificiary from the phillipeans and faxed the consulate asking them to forgive her pulling out a cheat sheet to anwser the questions. I was steamed about that but he had told me since it never happened not to worry about it because it wasnt in there computer system only on his letter.

I see people all the time getting married within 2 weeks of meeting in GUZ getting the visa denied the first time and then getting it on the second time. This isn't GUZ but GUZ is very hard also. Plus we have alot more evedince in the 16 weeks. I will ask the attorny to see what he thinks. SHe is so excited about the wedding though.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.