Cherel & Bob

Visa approved but we have a question

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Cherel's visa was approved on the Feb 10th and was delivered to her on Feb 12th. :dance:

Once we read it we noticed that the expiration date listed was on April 20, 2009. Is this correct? I thought that the K1 was good for entry up to 6 months after being issued and then it was valid for up to 90 days after entering the States. April 20th seems so soon.

Thanks

Bob

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It normally is 6 months, but I believe it is up to the embassy. Did your fiancee do her medical early? I know there have been cases where the visa expiration date was 6 months after the medical, not the interview.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline
It normally is 6 months, but I believe it is up to the embassy. Did your fiancee do her medical early? I know there have been cases where the visa expiration date was 6 months after the medical, not the interview.

Her initial Medical was on November 7, 2008 but she needed the dreaded sputum test and that took 2 months to complete.

Bob

Cherel's visa was approved on the Feb 10th and was delivered to her on Feb 12th. :dance:

Once we read it we noticed that the expiration date listed was on April 20, 2009. Is this correct? I thought that the K1 was good for entry up to 6 months after being issued and then it was valid for up to 90 days after entering the States. April 20th seems so soon.

Thanks

Bob

Maybe they went by her first scheduled interview date?

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Her first interview was scheduled on Nov 19, 2008. So even if they went off of that date it should be valid until May 20, 2009.

Maybe it is a moot point anyways. We have her flight scheduled for March 12. Do we have a full 3 months from that date to get married?

Bob

Her first interview was scheduled on Nov 19, 2008. So even if they went off of that date it should be valid until May 20, 2009.

Maybe it is a moot point anyways. We have her flight scheduled for March 12. Do we have a full 3 months from that date to get married?

Bob

Yep! You guys have 90 days to marry. Best to submit the I-485 for AOS and the EAD and AP as soon as you get the marriage certificate.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Bob

Yep! You guys have 90 days to marry. Best to submit the I-485 for AOS and the EAD and AP as soon as you get the marriage certificate.

90 days will start counting on her port of entry date. I was in her situation too because of the sputum test. I was issued visa July 1 2008, and expires Sept. 25, 2008. I left Philippines August 21, got married Oct 17. Filed AOS November 22.

Thanks

Bob

SIMPLE ANSWER... WITHIN 6 MONTHS TO GET THERE, ONCE SHE IS THERE, YOU GOT WITHIN 90 DAYS TO GET MARRIED...HITCH!

Honey Bun and Sweet Bun Forevermore

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.