MPGGPM

What happens at POE is someone has 2 visas?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Has anyone had experience with something like this? The US consulate did not cancel the tourist visa , however, the person who will be coming to the US also was just issued an F-1 visa. The consulate never canceled her 10 year tourist visa and she now has both in her passport.

When she comes to the POE, she will show them her I-20 and explain that she is entering with the F-1.

I just do not want the fact that she has 2 visas to create a problem. She has entered with her tourist visa previously twice, with no problems.

Since this person is closely related to me, I am just concerned about ``raising eyebrows`` when she enters.

Thanks.

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

Timeline
Why couldn't she take it upon herself to inform the USCIS of having two visas?

That would've been the right thing to do to avoid all of these worries.

2 Reasons...

1) We`re both in Europe right now, and if there is a cost effective way of calling USCIS long distance from here and being placed on hold for anywhere from 30-60 minutes while I wait for an answer to my one question.....I`d like to hear it.

2) Being frank...calling USCIS to begin with, which I have done plenty of times when I am in the US, is a lesson in frustration and generally a waste of time and energy. You get several different answers to the same question from different people, and they aren`t much help at all, and often times if anything, just confuse the issue more.

No one is hiding anything. In fact it was I myself, who brung this up to the consulate`s attention. After which, they allowed us to keep both visas anyhow.

However, I ask the question because the State Department and USCIS/Dept. of Homeland Security are 2 different entities. I am still a bit concerned, and just want to get input from someone has actually has ``experience``with something similar.

In a forum such as this, I am hopeful there will be someone who will respond to this question who actually has had something similar happen to them before. Getting an answer from someone with experience with this sort of thing would probably be the most helpful thing now.

That is what I am REALLY looking for.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Timeline
No one is hiding anything. In fact, it was I, myself, who brought this up to the consulate's attention. After which, they allowed us to keep both visas anyhow.

So; what are you worried about?

Just blame it on the consulate!

I guess you`re right.

As everyone here can attest.......when it comes to dealing with US Immigration, there is absolutely nothing for us to worry about. ;)

Edited by MPGGPM

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

If they werein Europe they couldnt call USCIS. U cannot accessthe 1-800 numbers from outside the uS (expect Canada I think, not sure about it). So how the hell could they inform USCIS all way from Europe dmartmar???

Maria

Got married in Killeen, Texas on April 27 2004

*°K-3 Visa°*

Oct 12 2005 - Sent I-130 to NSC

Oct 24 2005 - NOA 1

Nov 7 2005 - Sent I-129F to Chicago

Nov 9 2005 - NOA 1

Dec 5 2005 - NOA 2 - I-129F Approved!!! (28 days)

Dec 13 2005 - Application Forwarded to NVC

Dec 16 2005 - Application received by the Consulate in Italy

Jan 4 2006 - Packet 3

Jan 10 2006 - Sent "Applicant's Statement" to Naples

Jan 27 2006 - Packet 4

Feb 22 2006 - Medical and Interview

Feb 22 2006 - Interview... APPROVED Got the Visa!!!

Mar 2 2006 - I-130 case *touched*

Mar 6 2006 - RFE for the I-130 (Marriage Certificate)

Mar 14 2006 - Sent RFE to CSC

Mar 21 2006 - RFE received by CSC

Mar 30 2006 - Detroit POE - Got the I-94

Mar 31 2006 - I-130 NOA 2 - APPROVED!!! (170 days)

*°AOS°*

Mar 31 2006 - I-765 sent to Chicago

Apr 5 2006 - I-765 NOA1

Apr 7 2006 - Vaccination Supplement appt. in Cleveland

Apr 13 2006 - EAD Biometrics Appointment Letter

Apr 18 2006 - EAD Biometrics in Pittsburg

Apr 22 2006 - I-485 sent to Chicago lockbox

Apr 28 2006 - I-485 NOA1

May 3 2006 - EAD Approved!! (33 days)

May 5 2006 - EAC received (NOA2)

May 5 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment Letter

May 8 2006 - Applied for Social Security Number

May 11 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment in Pittsburgh

May 18 2006 - Social Security Card arrived in the mail

May 18 2006 - Interview Appointment Letter

May 31 2006 - Flew back to Italy

Jun 24 2006 - I-485 *touched*

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

My fiance first came to the US on a B1/B2, entered about four times on that visa. Then later he came as an F1. He is here on an F1 now, and he entered with both valid F1 and valid B1/B2 in his passport. He presented his I-20 and F1 when he was entering to begin his course of study.

Theoretically, a person can have two visas. When a typical F1-er ends their student status (completes their degree, etc), s/he can theoretically enter the US again as a tourist for brief periods for the purpose of visiting. This is quite common.

Timeline
My fiance first came to the US on a B1/B2, entered about four times on that visa. Then later he came as an F1. He is here on an F1 now, and he entered with both valid F1 and valid B1/B2 in his passport. He presented his I-20 and F1 when he was entering to begin his course of study.

Theoretically, a person can have two visas. When a typical F1-er ends their student status (completes their degree, etc), s/he can theoretically enter the US again as a tourist for brief periods for the purpose of visiting. This is quite common.

I REALLY appreciate your response. That pretty much sums up what I was trying to find out. Your situation was nearly identical to ours, ......even had the same 2 visas in his passport.

Thanks a lot! :thumbs:

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Filed: Timeline
If they werein Europe they couldnt call USCIS. U cannot accessthe 1-800 numbers from outside the uS (expect Canada I think, not sure about it). So how the hell could they inform USCIS all way from Europe dmartmar???

Maria

You can call USCIS at 1-800 number from anywhere in the world. But it is not free...

I have two valid visas in my passport (B1/B2 and L-1) since 3 years ago. I had traveled to USA more than 15 times since them without any kind of problems in the POE.

When I travel to work I say to the officer "I'm entering to work in USA, so I'd like to use my L-1" and when I'm on vacations I said "I'm entering on a vacations trip, so I'd like to use my B1/B2 visa". No problem whatsoever.

AFAIK, It's perfectly legal to have multiple visas on your passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.