zoso

Resident of another country

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I became citizen of US on February 2009. I already filed I-130 (on Feb2007) for my husband who is currently a permanent resident of Qatar. Now I want to move to Qatar as well and live as a permanent resident with him. My question is if I seek permanent residency, would that be harmful for his I-130 petitions or any future application?

Thanks a lot

God bless everybody with visa journey.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Once you're a US citizen you can reside wherever you want and stay there for as long as you want, so that's not an issue. The issue would be are you going to live in the US with your husband once his visa is approved? He needs to reside in the US in order to keep his permanent residency.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Once you're a US citizen you can reside wherever you want and stay there for as long as you want, so that's not an issue. The issue would be are you going to live in the US with your husband once his visa is approved? He needs to reside in the US in order to keep his permanent residency.

Diana

I also believe that in order to get an immigration visa, the petitioner must be residing in the US.

The question that will come up is "how can your husband be a permanent resident of Qatar and a permanent resident of the US?" I think you can only have one permanent resident.

Based on the facts that you have given, I don't think your husband can get an immigration visa to the US if he is a permanent resident of Qatar and he does not have the intention at the time the visa becomes available to enter the US to become a permanent resident. One must live in the US for at least the minimum requisite time in order to keep the green card.

P.S. As a US citizen, you will be required to file US tax returns, Form 1040NR. It could be problematic if you seek to petition your husband for a green card in the future.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

He is not seeking residency of both countries. Qatari residency is only good as long as he has a job. You quite job, residency gone. Then how doest it means that he has an intention to stay in Qatar rather than USA at the time of visa is available. Once visa is ready we would move to USA even next day and stay there permanently.

My concern is not residency of Qatar, rather if problem would rise for him if i choose to live with him in Qatar until his visa is ready

I am filing my Tax every year so far, so that won’t be a problem for him.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Timeline

I guess a "permanent residency" in Qatar is not that permanent. LOL. Therein lies the confusion.

The only thing about the I-130 that could be problematic is the Affidavit of Support, I-864. You will need to show that the income you have now will continue (same source) after your husband immigrates to the US. You may need a joint sponsor if you have to get a different job once you return to the US.

Timeline

The purpose of the I-864 is to show that the immigrant has enough financial support to live without becoming reliant on welfare. There are several ways to show support. The most common is that the petitioner has a regular source of income that will continue after the beneficiary immigrates. This means you have a job that will continue after your husband immigrate. If you are relying on getting another job when you get back, that will be problematic as the economy sucks right now and lots of people cannot find jobs.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I see, then you're not seeking permanent residency there but just want to stay there temporarily until his US visa is approved, correct? In that case, you can, like I said a US citizen can live and stay wherever he/she is allowed to stay based on the country. But pay attention to what aaron2020 said, and make sure you have all your ducks in a row as far as the sponsoring part of it.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.