Amoon

I need more education on halal foods

98 posts in this topic

Ok, so here is my dilemma...my husband is Muslim...he will be here very soon (we are at NVC now). I was talking to someone today from Jordan (here in the states) and he mentioned halal meats. He explained all of that to me and now I am worried. I guess I didn't realize that there was the halal aspect to the foods allowed to be eaten in the Isalmic religion (as I am Christian I am not very educated on this). The guy I was talking to mentioned halal marshmallows and then that really threw me for a loop. I really didn't realize that some pork bi products were used to make these kinds of things, like gelatin. So to get to the point, I live in a rather small town. There is one place I know of that sells halal meats & a few other things. So is there a list of brands that you can buy...stuff like chips, chocolate...etc? I'm scared to buy the wrong thing!!! On top of that all of my family is Christian and they buy their meat from the regular grocery store, so I am guessing we are going to have to take our own meat to family gatherings because I cannot be sure that what they are serving is halal (not to mention going to all the restaurants around here, pretty sure NONE of them serve anything remotely halal except veggies).....I want to make sure my husband is comfortable here and that he doesn't have to worry about what he is eating...any suggestions, tips, your experiences if you are/have been in a similar situation would be very helpful. Sorry its long-winded but I want to get the point across.

Amanda

Yes, as Allah/God promises to ease things, I do the same as the other poster does. Whenever I eat out and the halal chicken or beef isn't available, I say 'bismillah'.

However, husband and I do not cook non-halal meat at home since we have options here (the halal meat store is quite reachable, about 35-40 minute away from home). I suggest you to cook more seafood at home, since there's no halal-haram term on it.

Btw, I am touched on your effort in providing him a comfortable environment. God bless! :)

K-1

Application mailed.............12-04-2008

NOA1...............................12-07-2008

Touched...........................03-19-2008

NOA2...............................03-19-2008

Touched...........................04-08-2008

Touched...........................04-22-2008

Sent to NVC......................04-23-2008

Case number generated.....04-29-2008

Case left NVC....................04-30-2008

Case arrived at embassy....05-06-2008

Packet 3...........................05-07-2008

Medical check....................05-08-2008

Packet 4............................05-08-2008

Interview date....05-22-2008 APPROVED

Visa in hand.......................05-29-2008

US entry............................06-02-2008

The wedding......................06-07-2008

AOS, EAD, and AP

Application mailed..............06-18-2008

Application received............06-20-2008

NOA1................................06-24-2008

Touched............................06-27-2008

Biometrics appointment.......07-15-2008

Touched on I-765...............09-03-2008

EAD Card ordered...............09-03-2008

EAD & AP received..............09-10-2008

AOS interview.....................12-08-2008

AOS approved.....................12-08-2008

Two-year GC received..........01-05-2009

Removing Condition (I-751)

Application mailed..................09-17-2010

Application received................09-20-2010

NOA1................................09-27-2010

Biometrics appointments...11-04-2010 & 12-28-2010

App approved...................01-13-2011

Ten-yr GC received.............01-18-2011

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Even if you bring,cook halal..but then "in jesus name" is said over the food..he may not eat it

This never even crossed my mind.

When we have dinner at other homes my family blesses the food with a Christian prayer, and I requested that my husband respect their customs. He merely says Bismillah after they have finished the blessing. He seemed okay with that.

that's what we do too

:D mine wont

If you have family/friends that normally do a prayer it would be wise to figure this out before he gets here. This could turn nasty, and I am sure that is the last thing you will want when he gets here. Good luck with it.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Even if you bring,cook halal..but then "in jesus name" is said over the food..he may not eat it

When we have dinner at other homes my family blesses the food with a Christian prayer, and I requested that my husband respect their customs. He merely says Bismillah after they have finished the blessing. He seemed okay with that.

that's what we do too

If you have family/friends that normally do a prayer it would be wise to figure this out before he gets here. This could turn nasty, and I am sure that is the last thing you will want when he gets here. Good luck with it.

We did.

thats why I was suggesting that people think about this and talk about it/come up with a solution before the spouse comes.

It's one of those things that probably isnt thought of, and i know my husband cant be the only one lol

I explained to my right wing/fundemental parents that they would not want to eat dinner that had been blessed in Mohammed's name..so they should understand. they did. :)

Edited by Lisa wa Yazied

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

that's what we do too

We did.

thats why I was suggesting that people think about this and talk about it/come up with a solution before the spouse comes.

It's one of those things that probably isnt thought of, and i know my husband cant be the only one lol

I explained to my right wing/fundemental parents that they would not want to eat dinner that had been blessed in Mohammed's name..so they should understand. they did. :)

Smart girl. :thumbs: And it sounds as if your parents are great people to be so understanding.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline

that's what we do too

We did.

Smart girl. :thumbs: And it sounds as if your parents are great people to be so understanding.

Thanks :) They are trying. Im sure we will have periodic misunderstandings, but I'm doing my best to prepare them for everything.

sorry Amanda...back to topic :D

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

I am going to agree with UmmSqueakster on this one. He doesn't get it yet, he's not here. My husband said "yes of course I only eat halal" until he moved to BFW (BF Wisconsin) and there was no halal meat. He hates vegetables, so that left him with fruit and beans, and it lasted ooooooh a day?? After talking to the imam at the mosque it was quite ok for him to say bismillah and dig into grocery store meat. Also this may cause an uproar but the Quran says it's permissible to eat the meat of the people of the book. Turkey, chicken, beef, all pob (people of the book) food. For us it's not an issue now. Also when a pound of ground beef at the halal store is $6 and a pound of ground beef at the grocery store is $3 come on. Economics come into consideration. We have 4 mouths to feed!

As for the family this was an issue. We had to be very careful what we ate at first. This year was the first Christmas gathering where everyone was VERY accomodating and left pork items off the menu. It really was so much more relaxing and easy for us. The hardest is the kids. For example we eat pepperoni pizza, with turkey pepperoni, however when we're with my family they have pork pepperoni, it's pretty tough to explain to a 4 yr old why he can eat something that looks the same at home but not at grandma's. We've since talked to him about it and I think it's ok now. But you should have seen the death stares of my family when he was throwing a fit because we wouldn't let him eat the pepperoni pizza....

He always says Bismillah and i think he has resorted to the fact that #1 it is not that easy for us to get the halal meat #2 it is more cost effective

and #3 he will be forgiven for eating the only meat that is available as long as it is not PORK.

Plus after having not eaten the Pork, even tho he could get it in his country and the fact that is ingrained in him that is not good for various reasons

I think he doesnt want to eat it anyway, he doesnt even like the smell..it is very distinct to him, kind of like the lamb smell with me.

Edited by sandrila

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

we got a great new butcher at our halal store nearby really jazzed about it. When we're out we generally eat vegitarian and have learned local halal restaurants not too easy and we're in seattle but when focused it can be done.

Filed: Timeline
Ok, so here is my dilemma...my husband is Muslim...he will be here very soon (we are at NVC now). I was talking to someone today from Jordan (here in the states) and he mentioned halal meats. He explained all of that to me and now I am worried. I guess I didn't realize that there was the halal aspect to the foods allowed to be eaten in the Isalmic religion (as I am Christian I am not very educated on this). The guy I was talking to mentioned halal marshmallows and then that really threw me for a loop. I really didn't realize that some pork bi products were used to make these kinds of things, like gelatin. So to get to the point, I live in a rather small town. There is one place I know of that sells halal meats & a few other things. So is there a list of brands that you can buy...stuff like chips, chocolate...etc? I'm scared to buy the wrong thing!!! On top of that all of my family is Christian and they buy their meat from the regular grocery store, so I am guessing we are going to have to take our own meat to family gatherings because I cannot be sure that what they are serving is halal (not to mention going to all the restaurants around here, pretty sure NONE of them serve anything remotely halal except veggies).....I want to make sure my husband is comfortable here and that he doesn't have to worry about what he is eating...any suggestions, tips, your experiences if you are/have been in a similar situation would be very helpful. Sorry its long-winded but I want to get the point across.

Amanda

The Iman at the mosque told my husband that it was acceptable to eat halal meat only at Ramadan, so that is what he does. Of course, he doesn't eat pork.

Wanttobelieve

so expense, convenience, and sheikhs with bad intel are all it takes to sway some people. that's pretty amazing. i feel like such a martyr now. :P

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow, so condescending......judging others also so very islamic...

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

so expense, convenience, and sheikhs with bad intel are all it takes to sway some people. that's pretty amazing. i feel like such a martyr now. :P

Yes of course...didn't you know?! I heard it on Fox news...its all good. :P

:P <---- be careful, even with this face some may think yr very serious and judgmental.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hmmm reads as pretty judgmental but that's nothing new from the source...

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline
Wow, so condescending......judging others also so very islamic...

i havent seen anyone being judgmental yet.

People seem to be extra sensitive when they are told its not the "right way" or whatever.

But, i havent read any judgments.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.