EasyRider

Need Lots of Help!!!

8 posts in this topic

I know these are going to seem like dumb questions to most of you VJ pros but for a novice like me, it is all very puzzling. My fiancee and I tried looking for the information ourselves so that we don't have to bother anyone but it's very confusing to us since different sites say different things and even when they do agree we still need some clarification. I have also tried calling the service center but I waited half an hour for them to answer 1 question and in the end, I lost the connection before she could answer. So I will post all of our questions here in one thread with the hopes that somebody out there has an answer to at least some of them. And lets be honest, if VJ'ers don't have the answer then we're in deep trouble. :) So anyway, here goes.

1. I am a "Jr." However, in both the G325a and the I-129F forms there is no suffix box. There is only "last" "first" and "middle" name. So where do I put the "Jr.?" On my passport it's written right next to my last name in the same field. I don't want them to think that my last name is "Jr." and I certainly don't want them to think that my middle name is "Jr." either. Any suggestions?

2. I don't have an Alien # so what do I write, "N/A" or "none?"

3. I was told that we should not leave any boxes blank, so should I write an "-----" in the "Apt." box since I live in a house? Or should I leave it blank because it would be obvious that I live in a house if I don't write anything?

4. Speaking of address, the G325a form asks for the address for the last 5 years, but it asks for only the "Street and Number." Do they want the full address including the Apt. # or just the street and number as they ask.

4a. Also in that question it asks for the "State or Province" but my fiancee is from Bosnia where they have not states or provinces but they do have two "entities" that make up Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Republic of Srpska and The Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. She also lives in the Kanton of Sarajevo but this is more like a county than a state. Should she use put any of these or put nothing since technically there are no states or provinces?

4b. Also, in that same line it asks for the "Country" and as you may imagine "Bosnia and Herzegovina does not fit in there. Can we just write Bosnia? Or can we use the international Country codes like "BIH" which is used in her passport in that field. Or must we hand write "Bosnia and Herzegovina" in all the fields that require the country?

5. Related to (4b.), there is a section in G325a that asks for Citizenship or Nationality, can we just write "Bosnian?"

6. Her last name has a "Ć" in it which is pronounced "ch" as you may know. I would prefer if her name were spelled correctly so we are writing the "Ć." However, will they write it like that or will they just write a "C" instead?

7. Lastly, I have a question about employment. I have done some consulting work in the past. In fact, a good portion of my income has come from consulting. However because I have worked for a lot of different firms, including my state and local government, but only for short periods at a time and only for small jobs at a time I was never sent any tax forms to claim during tax time. And to be honest, I can't even go back and check which firm I worked with which time and for how long or how much I earned. So, should I include this information in my G325a form or should I leave it out since I don't have any accurate records of it nor did I claim in during tax time?

7a. In a related question, my fiancee is also doing some consulting work. She has signed a very specific contract stating that she is not a employee or representative of this firm and they also do not report her income since it is a foreign firm and its headquarters is in another country. I don't understand the employment or tax laws in Bosnia and I doubt that even the people that wrote them do either but should she include this in her employment history?

I know some of these are bonehead questions but I really want to avoid stupid mistakes on our forms to try to avoid an RFE so any help that you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading this far and thanks in advance for your help!

EasyRider and Mala Mu

love1.jpg

My heart belongs to you!

1. I am a "Jr." However, in both the G325a and the I-129F forms there is no suffix box. There is only "last" "first" and "middle" name. So where do I put the "Jr.?" On my passport it's written right next to my last name in the same field. I don't want them to think that my last name is "Jr." and I certainly don't want them to think that my middle name is "Jr." either. Any suggestions? I would put it just after your last name "Smith Jr." - this has to have come up in your lifetime - right?

2. I don't have an Alien # so what do I write, "N/A" or "none?" The correct answer is "NONE" - not N/A.

3. I was told that we should not leave any boxes blank, so should I write an "-----" in the "Apt." box since I live in a house? Or should I leave it blank because it would be obvious that I live in a house if I don't write anything? If you live in a house - under Apt.# it would be appropriate to write "N/A".

4. Speaking of address, the G325a form asks for the address for the last 5 years, but it asks for only the "Street and Number." Do they want the full address including the Apt. # or just the street and number as they ask. Follow the example in the Example Form

4a. Also in that question it asks for the "State or Province" but my fiancee is from Bosnia where they have not states or provinces but they do have two "entities" that make up Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Republic of Srpska and The Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. She also lives in the Kanton of Sarajevo but this is more like a county than a state. Should she use put any of these or put nothing since technically there are no states or provinces? In Germany they don't have states - they have Bundesland but we knew what they meant and put the 'state' under State.

4b. Also, in that same line it asks for the "Country" and as you may imagine "Bosnia and Herzegovina does not fit in there. Can we just write Bosnia? Or can we use the international Country codes like "BIH" which is used in her passport in that field. Or must we hand write "Bosnia and Herzegovina" in all the fields that require the country? You can always leave the form blank (when typing) and complete it by hand after printing - that way you can make it fit.

5. Related to (4b.), there is a section in G325a that asks for Citizenship or Nationality, can we just write "Bosnian?" See above

6. Her last name has a "Ć" in it which is pronounced "ch" as you may know. I would prefer if her name were spelled correctly so we are writing the "Ć." However, will they write it like that or will they just write a "C" instead?It is very likely it will be written with letters available on an english keyboard.

7. Lastly, I have a question about employment. I have done some consulting work in the past. In fact, a good portion of my income has come from consulting. However because I have worked for a lot of different firms, including my state and local government, but only for short periods at a time and only for small jobs at a time I was never sent any tax forms to claim during tax time. And to be honest, I can't even go back and check which firm I worked with which time and for how long or how much I earned. So, should I include this information in my G325a form or should I leave it out since I don't have any accurate records of it nor did I claim in during tax time?The G-325A is a biographical information sheet - it is important to be accurate - it sounds like you are an indipendent (mostly) contractor or some might say 'self-employed.'

7a. In a related question, my fiancee is also doing some consulting work. She has signed a very specific contract stating that she is not a employee or representative of this firm and they also do not report her income since it is a foreign firm and its headquarters is in another country. I don't understand the employment or tax laws in Bosnia and I doubt that even the people that wrote them do either but should she include this in her employment history? Again - this form should be answered accurately (with no unexplained gaps) - it is not a tax-reporting document.

I know some of these are bonehead questions but I really want to avoid stupid mistakes on our forms to try to avoid an RFE so any help that you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

EasyRider and Mala Mu

:thumbs:

Edited by Karin und Otto

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I know these are going to seem like dumb questions to most of you VJ pros but for a novice like me, it is all very puzzling. My fiancee and I tried looking for the information ourselves so that we don't have to bother anyone but it's very confusing to us since different sites say different things and even when they do agree we still need some clarification. I have also tried calling the service center but I waited half an hour for them to answer 1 question and in the end, I lost the connection before she could answer. So I will post all of our questions here in one thread with the hopes that somebody out there has an answer to at least some of them. And lets be honest, if VJ'ers don't have the answer then we're in deep trouble. :) So anyway, here goes.

1. I am a "Jr." However, in both the G325a and the I-129F forms there is no suffix box. There is only "last" "first" and "middle" name. So where do I put the "Jr.?" On my passport it's written right next to my last name in the same field. I don't want them to think that my last name is "Jr." and I certainly don't want them to think that my middle name is "Jr." either. Any suggestions?

3. I was told that we should not leave any boxes blank, so should I write an "-----" in the "Apt." box since I live in a house? Or should I leave it blank because it would be obvious that I live in a house if I don't write anything?

4. Speaking of address, the G325a form asks for the address for the last 5 years, but it asks for only the "Street and Number." Do they want the full address including the Apt. # or just the street and number as they ask.

4a. Also in that question it asks for the "State or Province" but my fiancee is from Bosnia where they have not states or provinces but they do have two "entities" that make up Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Republic of Srpska and The Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. She also lives in the Kanton of Sarajevo but this is more like a county than a state. Should she use put any of these or put nothing since technically there are no states or provinces?

4b. Also, in that same line it asks for the "Country" and as you may imagine "Bosnia and Herzegovina does not fit in there. Can we just write Bosnia? Or can we use the international Country codes like "BIH" which is used in her passport in that field. Or must we hand write "Bosnia and Herzegovina" in all the fields that require the country?

5. Related to (4b.), there is a section in G325a that asks for Citizenship or Nationality, can we just write "Bosnian?"

6. Her last name has a "Ć" in it which is pronounced "ch" as you may know. I would prefer if her name were spelled correctly so we are writing the "Ć." However, will they write it like that or will they just write a "C" instead?

7. Lastly, I have a question about employment. I have done some consulting work in the past. In fact, a good portion of my income has come from consulting. However because I have worked for a lot of different firms, including my state and local government, but only for short periods at a time and only for small jobs at a time I was never sent any tax forms to claim during tax time. And to be honest, I can't even go back and check which firm I worked with which time and for how long or how much I earned. So, should I include this information in my G325a form or should I leave it out since I don't have any accurate records of it nor did I claim in during tax time?

7a. In a related question, my fiancee is also doing some consulting work. She has signed a very specific contract stating that she is not a employee or representative of this firm and they also do not report her income since it is a foreign firm and its headquarters is in another country. I don't understand the employment or tax laws in Bosnia and I doubt that even the people that wrote them do either but should she include this in her employment history?

EasyRider and Mala Mu

Ok, so I am doing nothing else so it isn't a bother. First some caveats. You do not need any other sites, I doubt they will do anything but confuse you. :) This is the best by far. You do not need an attorney but it is a persoanl decision if you want to waste your money. Do not bother to call the VSC or CSC, unless you like to wait on hold and get no answers, oh forgot, the standard answer..."about 6 months" OK , those time and money wasters out of the way, lets get to the good stuff...

1. Enter "jr." after your last name, always enter names exactly as they are on your PASSPORT. If there are any decrepencies on any documents...passport trumps. For your fiancee also.

2. You are a US citizen so you do not have one of these. Write "NA". Always use NA, None or Unknown as answers as appropriate. "NA" is not always appropriate, but in this case it is.

3. "NA" would also be appropriate here.

4. Include apartment number if there is one. Squeeze it all in. Attach a sheet if you have to.

4a. For Ukraine I used the "Oblast" Whatever is the largest political subdivision under the "nation" is the correct one to use.

4b. You should be OK to use internationally recognized country codes in the addresses portion. I used "UA" for Ukraine and for her birthplace I used "Ukraine SSR" which is what it was at the time.

5. This should be stated on her passport. My wife's has two entries, her citizenship is "Ukraine" and her nationality is "Russian". I used her citizenship, Ukraine.

6. You must spell her name exactly as on her passport, don't be messing with any name changes or spelling changes now and do not worry how they pronouce it, for the next few months, go with exactly how anything is spelled on the passport. On the I-129 you will have to write her name in her native alphabet also if it is different than ours.

7. Sounds like you were self-employed as a consultant. And sounds like you kinda forgot about taxes and all that nuisance stuff, hey it happens. I was self employed for 7 years so I can sympathize with Tom Dachle forgetting like a couple million in income. It happens to the best of us. But now it will bite you in the a$$, maybe. The consulate will use your CURRENT income as the first qualifier. If your CURRENT gross income at the time of the interview is more than the minimum (and you can prove it), you WIN!!!!! If not, then you will have to use assets, etc to justify the support need. I'll leave you to sort it out, but if you haven't filed for 2008 yet, keep that in mind when you are deducting all those legitimate business expenses and reducing your gross income. What they are looking for is the net profit from the bottom line of schedule C, your "gross" personal income that you put on the 1040 and pay income (and that DAMN "self employment tax") on. You cannot wiggle out of that 15.3% self employment tax as hard as you try. Dammit.

7a. If there are documents ANYWHERE related to her employment, YES she should list this on the G-325. For the most part the USCIS and consulate couldn't care less about your fiancee's employment history. You CAN list her job as "self employed consultant" which is not a lie and covers all her contracts.

Really there weren't any bonehead questions (well OK maybe the "jr." thing) and I hope it helps so you don't get an RFE.

Good luck

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

EasyRider and Mala Mu

Gary And Alla

Timeline

EasyRider and Mala Mu

Sorry, made a mistake about the "C" with an accent. Two options, one is real simple (even bonehead) print the thing out, take a black pen and put in the accent. The other is to play with your keyboard, great fun on a boring cold night when your fiancee is in Bosnia. Hold down the "alt" and use you number pad to type 3 number combos, then relaease the alt key and see what you get, example...é, French, e accent acute, hold the alt key, type 130 and release the alt key...magic! è, French, e accent grave. Alt 138. See, you will find it there somewhere. I speak and write French so I know all those but have not a clue about this one, it is in there somewhere. Start with alt 100 and go from there.

Gary And Alla

I would put it just after your last name "Smith Jr." - this has to have come up in your lifetime - right?

The correct answer is "NONE" - not N/A.

If you live in a house - under Apt.# it would be appropriate to write "N/A".

Follow the example in the Example Form

In Germany they don't have states - they have Bundesland but we knew what they meant and put the 'state' under State.

You can always leave the form blank (when typing) and complete it by hand after printing - that way you can make it fit.

See above

It is very likely it will be written with letters available on an english keyboard.

The G-325A is a biographical information sheet - it is important to be accurate - it sounds like you are an indipendent (mostly) contractor or some might say 'self-employed.'

Again - this form should be answered accurately (with no unexplained gaps) - it is not a tax-reporting document.

:thumbs:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. :thumbs:

1. It has come up but there is always a box for suffixes, usually. And where there is not, it usually isn't important and it's simply left out.

2. This is where I get confused. I would think N/A would be more appropriate since I don't need one since I'm a citizen. So it doesn't really apply to me but maybe you're right.

3. The reason I wouldn't write N/A is because sometimes apartments are given letters instead of numbers.

4. I looked at the example before I posted this.

5. There isn't anything in Bosnia that is equivalent to a state or Bundesland, whatever that is.

6. I figured so.

7. See above.

8. Of course.

9. Accuracy is my enemy, at this point.

10. This makes sense. Its not a tax reporting document just a biographical one. Good.

love1.jpg

My heart belongs to you!

Ok, so I am doing nothing else so it isn't a bother. First some caveats. You do not need any other sites, I doubt they will do anything but confuse you. :) This is the best by far. You do not need an attorney but it is a persoanl decision if you want to waste your money. Do not bother to call the VSC or CSC, unless you like to wait on hold and get no answers, oh forgot, the standard answer..."about 6 months" OK , those time and money wasters out of the way, lets get to the good stuff...

1. Enter "jr." after your last name, always enter names exactly as they are on your PASSPORT. If there are any decrepencies on any documents...passport trumps. For your fiancee also.

2. You are a US citizen so you do not have one of these. Write "NA". Always use NA, None or Unknown as answers as appropriate. "NA" is not always appropriate, but in this case it is.

4. Include apartment number if there is one. Squeeze it all in. Attach a sheet if you have to.

4a. For Ukraine I used the "Oblast" Whatever is the largest political subdivision under the "nation" is the correct one to use.

4b. You should be OK to use internationally recognized country codes in the addresses portion. I used "UA" for Ukraine and for her birthplace I used "Ukraine SSR" which is what it was at the time.

5. This should be stated on her passport. My wife's has two entries, her citizenship is "Ukraine" and her nationality is "Russian". I used her citizenship, Ukraine.

6. You must spell her name exactly as on her passport, don't be messing with any name changes or spelling changes now and do not worry how they pronouce it, for the next few months, go with exactly how anything is spelled on the passport. On the I-129 you will have to write her name in her native alphabet also if it is different than ours.

7. Sounds like you were self-employed as a consultant. And sounds like you kinda forgot about taxes and all that nuisance stuff, hey it happens. I was self employed for 7 years so I can sympathize with Tom Dachle forgetting like a couple million in income. It happens to the best of us. But now it will bite you in the a$$, maybe. The consulate will use your CURRENT income as the first qualifier. If your CURRENT gross income at the time of the interview is more than the minimum (and you can prove it), you WIN!!!!! If not, then you will have to use assets, etc to justify the support need. I'll leave you to sort it out, but if you haven't filed for 2008 yet, keep that in mind when you are deducting all those legitimate business expenses and reducing your gross income. What they are looking for is the net profit from the bottom line of schedule C, your "gross" personal income that you put on the 1040 and pay income (and that DAMN "self employment tax") on. You cannot wiggle out of that 15.3% self employment tax as hard as you try. Dammit.

7a. If there are documents ANYWHERE related to her employment, YES she should list this on the G-325. For the most part the USCIS and consulate couldn't care less about your fiancee's employment history. You CAN list her job as "self employed consultant" which is not a lie and covers all her contracts.

Really there weren't any bonehead questions (well OK maybe the "jr." thing) and I hope it helps so you don't get an RFE.

Good luck

Thank you for your replies. They were all very helpful!

1. My fiancee suggested that I list "Jr." as part of my last name but I wouldn't listen. I guess she's right, as always! :)

2. This makes more sense to me as I wrote in my reply above.

3. I'd rather write "---" but maybe you guys are right.

4. It's not a matter of squeezing it since it fits fine. My fiancee is adamant to follow the question exactly. The form asks for "Street and Number" but it says nothing of the apartment number so she doesn't want to include it. Her opinion is that if they wanted the full address they would ask for it. And my opinion is that having it and not needing it is better than needing it and not having it, especially since including it won't make much of a difference if it is not needed.

4a. Next subdivision after Country, makes sense. In this case it would be Federation of BIH.

4b. I would think that it should be ok with international codes but for some reason it makes me nervous!!!

5. Always following the info on the passport is good advice, thanks!

6. Same as above! But on the I-129f form it states that we should write it in the native alphabet if it is not the same as Roman letters. Technically it is in Roman letters since it is not in Arabic or Chinese or something. But do Roman letters include "Ć?"

7. Just to be clear, I never "Daschled" out of any taxes. I didn't forget or ignore or anything like that. As I stated before, some of my clients were my state and local government so they had the info so it's not like I was lying or something. But I guess I cleared it up. I do feel like we're picking on old Tom Daschle. It's not like he's the first or the last politician to have "discrepancies." :P

7a. We will use that for both of us. Makes sense.

Thanks again!

love1.jpg

My heart belongs to you!

Timeline

Good luck

Thank you for your replies. They were all very helpful!

1. My fiancee suggested that I list "Jr." as part of my last name but I wouldn't listen. I guess she's right, as always! :)

2. This makes more sense to me as I wrote in my reply above.

3. I'd rather write "---" but maybe you guys are right.

4. It's not a matter of squeezing it since it fits fine. My fiancee is adamant to follow the question exactly. The form asks for "Street and Number" but it says nothing of the apartment number so she doesn't want to include it. Her opinion is that if they wanted the full address they would ask for it. And my opinion is that having it and not needing it is better than needing it and not having it, especially since including it won't make much of a difference if it is not needed.

4a. Next subdivision after Country, makes sense. In this case it would be Federation of BIH.

4b. I would think that it should be ok with international codes but for some reason it makes me nervous!!!

5. Always following the info on the passport is good advice, thanks!

6. Same as above! But on the I-129f form it states that we should write it in the native alphabet if it is not the same as Roman letters. Technically it is in Roman letters since it is not in Arabic or Chinese or something. But do Roman letters include "Ć?"

7. Just to be clear, I never "Daschled" out of any taxes. I didn't forget or ignore or anything like that. As I stated before, some of my clients were my state and local government so they had the info so it's not like I was lying or something. But I guess I cleared it up. I do feel like we're picking on old Tom Daschle. It's not like he's the first or the last politician to have "discrepancies." :P

7a. We will use that for both of us. Makes sense.

Thanks again!

4. This time she isn't right...tell her I said so, I am at a safe distance and YOU have to sleep with her. LOL Include the whole address, don't risk a weeks long RFE problem by standing on principal if the principal really doesn't matter.

6. Yes, it is the Roman alphabet, accents are added in many languages, but it is the same alphabet as opposed to, say, Cyrillic, my wifes native alphabet. Anyway you might like playing with the computer.

7. OK, yeah, there is also Tim Geitner, the guy in charge of the IRS now. Sorry, didn't mean to pick on Tom. :)

Good Luck

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.