JenniferJarin

AOS Interview -- do I need to bring tax returns, etc.???

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We have our adjustment of status interview coming up this week. We have a ton of things/documents in both of our names, including a joint bank account, a recent new car purchase, and an 8-month-old baby! ;)

But after looking over the forums here, it seems like some people are bringing financial records, especially tax returns. When we originally filed, my sister signed on as a co-sponsor and provided all her financial records & affadavit of support.

We don't have to bring copies of all her records and her affadavit again, do we? We don't have to file our own 2008 return before the interview, do we? Or bring anymore tax returns of mine, or assets, etc., in general?

The point of this interview is to make sure our relationship is genuine, right? So we bring as many supporting documents that show we have a continuing relationship. But do we also need to show my financial resources again to show I can support him? I am a freelancer who works part-time now that I have a baby, and he got his EAD card late, so he's been having difficulty getting a job, though he attends language classes at night. We are currently able to make ends meet with my part-time work, but also with help from family and my limited savings. So I'm a little concerned this might be an issue at the interview.

Any advice would be helpful!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
We have our adjustment of status interview coming up this week. We have a ton of things/documents in both of our names, including a joint bank account, a recent new car purchase, and an 8-month-old baby! ;)

But after looking over the forums here, it seems like some people are bringing financial records, especially tax returns. When we originally filed, my sister signed on as a co-sponsor and provided all her financial records & affadavit of support.

We don't have to bring copies of all her records and her affadavit again, do we? We don't have to file our own 2008 return before the interview, do we? Or bring anymore tax returns of mine, or assets, etc., in general?

The point of this interview is to make sure our relationship is genuine, right? So we bring as many supporting documents that show we have a continuing relationship. But do we also need to show my financial resources again to show I can support him? I am a freelancer who works part-time now that I have a baby, and he got his EAD card late, so he's been having difficulty getting a job, though he attends language classes at night. We are currently able to make ends meet with my part-time work, but also with help from family and my limited savings. So I'm a little concerned this might be an issue at the interview.

You don't have to file your taxes before you go to the interview, unless it is AFTER april 15th. However I would still bring the tax returns from the previous year, as you never know if the INS may have misplaced them, and if they did, then you may not get approved, because of that.

AOS Process

May 29th 2008- AOS/EAD/I-130 Sent to Chicaogo Lock Box sent via Overnight Delivery

June 6th - Both checks cashed!!

June 25th - Biometrics appointment

Sept. 19th - Card Production Ordered! (113 days since filing)

Sept. 25th - EAD Received!!!

Dec. 5th 2008 - Received appointment letter

Feb. 4th 2009 - AOS Interview (Interviewer says going to recommend for approval)

May 15th- called and talked to an officer to submit a service request

June 10th- Made an infopass appointment,

June 15th- Info pass appointment, told me they could do nothing until the officer made their decision!

June 27 - Filed for I-131 as well as renewal of my work authorization.

July 23rd- Received I-131

Dec 22, 2009 - Biometrics appointment yet again.

January 21, 2010 Second interview

January 22nd - I-485 Touched

January 27th - Received a Request for additonal evidence.

May 27 I-485 Approved

June 13th 2010 - Green card received!

Timeline

You don't have to file your taxes before you go to the interview, unless it is AFTER april 15th. However I would still bring the tax returns from the previous year, as you never know if the INS may have misplaced them, and if they did, then you may not get approved, because of that.

So I'm supposed to bring the entire packet we submitted for AOS????

Also, my main question is: Do I have to show my financial capability or my sister's sponsorship, or basically anything financial on my part at this time, since it was already submitted? I would have received an RFE if it wasn't enough when I submitted the AOS packet. Is the purpose of this interview also to show I can support him, or was this already established & covered and this interview is primarily about establishing a continuing bona-fide relationship, not showing my financial/the co-sponsor's financial capability at this time??

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Also, my main question is: Do I have to show my financial capability or my sister's sponsorship, or basically anything financial on my part at this time, since it was already submitted? I would have received an RFE if it wasn't enough when I submitted the AOS packet. Is the purpose of this interview also to show I can support him, or was this already established & covered and this interview is primarily about establishing a continuing bona-fide relationship, not showing my financial/the co-sponsor's financial capability at this time??

JenniferJarin,

The purpose of the interview is to verify that your marriage is bona fide. When I got my interview, the officer didn't ask about anything financial. She asked about proofs of our living together, so we gave your apartment lease in both our names, joint bank accounts, credit card accounts, IRA with spouse as beneficiary, health insurance, car insurance, etc. She also looked at our wedding pics and took 2 pics. She said the tax returns that already submitted previously are still good and she didn't need the most recent one. However, I think it depends on the officer during your interview.

Make sure you bring copies on anything you're gonna bring with you to the interview. As far as tax returns that you already submitted, I suggest you still bring copies of that tax returns. You never know if they misplace your tax return or not.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep thats what you need to bring. On the notice it tells you to bring a copy as well as the original of every document you submitted to the INS. They have to verify that you have the original documents during the interview. And if you don't have them , then that can be grounds for denial. In Fact I think thats what saved us, was that we had our tax records, and that got us the approval. Whats bringing a few more peices of paper cost you? Other then a little bit of time to gather the required documentation. I would much rather have spent a few more minutes, doing this then risk getting a denial because we didn't bring all the required documentation.

It specifically tells you to bring your tax records, If your other half may not be sponsering you, it also shows that you filed taxes JOINTLY, which also is evidence that your in a bonifide marriage.

Edited by bassagitator

AOS Process

May 29th 2008- AOS/EAD/I-130 Sent to Chicaogo Lock Box sent via Overnight Delivery

June 6th - Both checks cashed!!

June 25th - Biometrics appointment

Sept. 19th - Card Production Ordered! (113 days since filing)

Sept. 25th - EAD Received!!!

Dec. 5th 2008 - Received appointment letter

Feb. 4th 2009 - AOS Interview (Interviewer says going to recommend for approval)

May 15th- called and talked to an officer to submit a service request

June 10th- Made an infopass appointment,

June 15th- Info pass appointment, told me they could do nothing until the officer made their decision!

June 27 - Filed for I-131 as well as renewal of my work authorization.

July 23rd- Received I-131

Dec 22, 2009 - Biometrics appointment yet again.

January 21, 2010 Second interview

January 22nd - I-485 Touched

January 27th - Received a Request for additonal evidence.

May 27 I-485 Approved

June 13th 2010 - Green card received!

So do i need to bring my co-sponsor's W2 forms again? And my Wife's? I already submitted them!

"Love Will Find A Way <3"

05/29/2008 --- Entry into the US on Visa Waiver to visit my girlfriend for a summer holiday and to help take care of her sick father where needed.

06/20/2008 -- After the sad passing of my girlfriend's father, we decided to get married and stay together

08/08/2008 --- We get married, lovely ceremony and dinner with all of Sarah's family present :-)

08/25/2008 --- AOS package sent to Chicago via Fedex overnight priority mail. Fingers crossed now!

08/26/2008 -- AOS Package received in Chicago, signed for by A.Smith (1 day before my VWP expires!)

09/02/2008 -- Checks cashed!!

09/03/2008 -- NOA1 received for I-485, I-130 and I-765.

09/05/2008 -- Case is shown online as pending!!

09/08/2008 -- Biometrics appointment letter received for September 23rd!! (For both I-485 and I-765)

09/12/2008 -- Biometrics walk-in completed, 11 days before the appointment! In Hackensack NJ.

09/20/2008 -- RFE for I-485 received. It was dated September 17.

09/25/2008 -- RFE response evidence sent out to Lee's Summit by USPS, certified mail.

10/02/2008 -- RFE response evidence received and case processing resumed!

11/04/2008 -- EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED! Thank you Lord.

11/10/2008 -- EAD card received in the mail! wOOt wOOt!!!!

11/12/2008 -- SSN ordered from Hackensack, 2-4 weeks in mail!

11/28/2008 -- SSN Received in the mail, wOOt!!!!!!!!

12/7/2008 -- INTERVIEW LETTER RECEIVED!!! It's scheduled February 19, 2009 at 8:30am in Newark. *nerves*

2/19/2009 -- Interview 8:30am - Green Card verbally approved

2/23/2009 -- Welcome letter received! followed by I-130 approval notice!

We cannot predict what YOUR interviewing officer asks for. Read and reread the appt letter - its pretty detailed. Although the proof of relationship is open to what you have.

I didn't have a co-sponsor, so don't know what they will ask for that. Your sister/co-sponsor should have her 2008 W-2 by now. The CO might want to see that. I recall providing my pay stub which showed my year to date earnings.

I don't think you would be denied if you don't bring what they want. BUT you'd have to have a second interview or send follow up info - which delays the GC. I wanted to get it done in the first pass.

Good Luck!!!

Timeline
We cannot predict what YOUR interviewing officer asks for. Read and reread the appt letter - its pretty detailed. Although the proof of relationship is open to what you have.

I didn't have a co-sponsor, so don't know what they will ask for that. Your sister/co-sponsor should have her 2008 W-2 by now. The CO might want to see that. I recall providing my pay stub which showed my year to date earnings.

I don't think you would be denied if you don't bring what they want. BUT you'd have to have a second interview or send follow up info - which delays the GC. I wanted to get it done in the first pass.

Good Luck!!!

I think if our new baby son who will be crawling all over our laps isn't proof our marriage is bona fide, then it's time to get a new interviewing officer.

The 2007 taxes are moot as far as relationship proof, as we weren't married at the time, so would not have filed jointly.

I think my question was misunderstood -- I was asking if part of the point of the interview was to show if I could support my husband, etc. If the only point of the interview is that we need to show our marriage is real, like I said, I think having a baby together kinda trumps joint car insurance, which we have anyway.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.