Aeonix

Totally lost

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I am a USC and my husband a UKC. We have one child together and will have been married 2 years in march. We live in the UK, but I am desperately unhappy here, and we want to move to the US asap. I'm totally lost though, it's very different to getting my visa to live here, and I feel like I'm out at sea without a life preserver, and keep finding conflicting info.

I need to know about the poverty guidelines and how a household is worked out, because I have been living in the UK for the last 3 years I don't have tax returns. I also know that I would not be able to get a job to meet the income requirements on my own, but from what I have read they won't accept combined income for the sponsorship...

On top of that it seems as though they will consider my co-sponsor's entire family as well as all three of us for the guidelines, and if they won't accept combined income from me, the primary, plus a co-sponsor, then I am going to assume they wouldn't consider a co-sponsor and their spouse's combined income either right? My mother and father would likely meet the requirements as combined income for a household of...I'm not sure how many because my niece is pregnant and lives with them, as well as my brother who is 26, works, so Im not sure if he and my nieces upcoming child are counted.

And if none of that works, will a UKC be able to sponsor my husband? I know for sure that they would meet the requirements for income, just not sure if they can do it not being a USC :(

I just want to go back home....and I want to be with my husband and daughter...it seems that's too much to ask though :(

Try goolging direct consular filing. There should be plenty to read. Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline
Try goolging direct consular filing. There should be plenty to read. Good luck :thumbs:

I've done that, but the part I get stuck on is the income requirements. I don't understand the point of being able to have multiple sponsors if they each individually have to exceed 125% poverty line for the entire household, and yet our combined incomes don't count towards making that amount??

I don't see us qualifying for the income part of it if they won't let us combine incomes to make the 125% poverty line for a household the size it would be.

It just makes no sense to me...the people working in the household contribute to the household expenses, so why should just one member have to have the 125%+?

or am I just not getting it right?

Filed: Country: Denmark
Timeline

Do you not file your US taxes cause you are a stay at home mom? Perhaps I'm confused about the income requirement, but if you, the USC, does not meet the income requirement then you need to have a joint sponser from the US that does meet it. So, do you have any family in the US or a friend that could joint sponser for you?

I believe the reason you can't use your husband's income is he is the alien... as you are applying for him to come to the US to be with you, you have to prove that you or another person can sponsor/co-sponser him.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... I'm still learning too! :)

Edited by Amythyst

Timeline
Do you not file your US taxes cause you are a stay at home mom? Perhaps I'm confused about the income requirement, but if you, the USC, does not meet the income requirement then you need to have a joint sponser from the US that does meet it. So, do you have any family in the US or a friend that could joint sponser for you?

I believe the reason you can't use your husband's income is he is the alien... as you are applying for him to come to the US to be with you, you have to prove that you or another person can sponsor/co-sponser him.

For the first year and a half I wasn't able to work, first due to visa issues then because I had recently had my daughter. I did work for about 8 months but it never amounted to anything that would require me to file taxes, I had to leave my job though because we had to move closer to my husbands work. I've been told I can back-file regardless of if I did not have any income, but it still won't help, there's no way I can find a job paying what they require.

The problem I have is that I don't understand the income requirements..it sounds to me as though if I were to ask my parents to co-sponsor my husband, it could only be either my mother or my father, not both, and they would not take into account both their incomes, just the one I choose as a co-sponsor, while considering every single person in the house a part of the 'household', as well as the three of us...that seems like a ridiculous hurdle to have to jump...my parents don't support my brother, but he does live with them, so he's counted as a household member. They *both* work to make the money they need...I don't know of anyone in my family who alone could make up 125% of the poverty level for several family members.

It looks like it will be impossible to get my husband over if the requirement is as it seems, which is well, stupid. I am married to this man and we have child together, so why is it so hard to live in the same country together? :(

Edited by Aeonix

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

For the first year and a half I wasn't able to work, first due to visa issues then because I had recently had my daughter. I did work for about 8 months but it never amounted to anything that would require me to file taxes, I had to leave my job though because we had to move closer to my husbands work. I've been told I can back-file regardless of if I did not have any income, but it still won't help, there's no way I can find a job paying what they require.

The problem I have is that I don't understand the income requirements..it sounds to me as though if I were to ask my parents to co-sponsor my husband, it could only be either my mother or my father, not both, and they would not take into account both their incomes, just the one I choose as a co-sponsor, while considering every single person in the house a part of the 'household', as well as the three of us...that seems like a ridiculous hurdle to have to jump...my parents don't support my brother, but he does live with them, so he's counted as a household member. They *both* work to make the money they need...I don't know of anyone in my family who alone could make up 125% of the poverty level for several family members.

It looks like it will be impossible to get my husband over if the requirement is as it seems, which is well, stupid. I am married to this man and we have child together, so why is it so hard to live in the same country together? :(

You can have more than one joint-sponsor. And people in their household are not counted as dependents if they are not listed on the joint-sponsor's income tax.

You and your daughter would not be claimed either, just your husband.

Your mother and father could I believe each do an application. And from what I understand, they do not each need to seperately reach the 125% guidelines but combined.

It sounds like it's not impossible to get him here with people willing and able to co-sponsor but don't get in a big hurry.

And it never hurts too call USCIS and ask specific questions. They can guide you in most situations better than we can. The NVC was quite helpful to me also when my case reached that point. It's a confusing and crazy process, so calm down and don't give up so easy.

They know specifically what you need and the rules, and they will tell you. And if you get conflicting info from them you have to keep calling until you get a satisfactory answer.

But I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I do believe you can use TWO joint sponsors, so you can use your mother and father, as long as they can show copies or transcripts of their past taxes (up to 3 yrs) In some cases they do allow the alien spouse to use their assets if it adds up to a certain amount (not quite sure off the top of my head).

someone correct me if I'm wrong!

~Lainie

Feb. 2002 - met online/started talking

Dec.2002 - met IRL, got engaged!

May 2003 - Moved to Holland to live with fiance

Dec.2008 - Got married!

Feb. 23 2009 - DCF Amsterdam Consulate!

Feb. 27 2009 - 130 Approved!

Mar. 27 2009 - Packet 4 rec'd

April 17 2009 - Medical

April 27 2009 -Final Interview--APPROVED!!

April 29 2009 - Received VISA in mail!

June 22 2009 - Flew to NY

Sept 18 2009 - Moved to NC-WooHoo!

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

yes, they are correct, you can have more than one sponsor. your spouses income can also be considered only if it will continue once you are in the US. Your parent's assets can also be counted. If using assets, they need to equal 3 times the poverty level guideline. you might check with the embassy there. i know the embassy in Denmark will look over your affidavits for accuracy and prequal before you file, in fact they suggest you do so. the embassy in the UK will likely do the same.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.