tomiris

my husband lost his job,can we still file for AOS

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
:help: i'm on a K1 visa and my husband lost his job few days ago. we are confused right now what to do. can i still get my SSN even though he don't have a job? can we still file for AOS? :crying: what are the procedures on the case like us?we got married just a week ago but still our minds needs some clear information on what's the next thing to do. i hope you could help us give a guide. thank you so much and God bless... :innocent:

My I-129F timeline link

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186087

AOS

03/16/2009 - AOS & EAD application mailed

03/18/2009 - package delivered in Chicago Lockbox (day 1)

03/24/2009 - checked cashed by USCIS (day 7)

03/24/2009 - NOA1 for AOS & EAD notice date

03/26/2009 - received hardcopy of NOA1 for AOS and EAD (day 9)

03/26/2009 - Biometrics appointment notice date for AOS and EAD

03/30/2009 - received hardcopy of Biometrics appt. date for AOS and EAD (day 13)

04/13/2009 - Biometrics schedule for AOS and EAD (day 27)

04/13/2009 - Biometrics Done

05/11/2009 - EAD Card Production Ordered (day 55)

05/14/2009 - EAD Card Production Ordered Again (day 58)

05/18/2009 - email from CRIS EAD Approval Notice Sent (day 62)

05/18/2009 - EAD Approval Notice received - card attached (day 62)

05/20/2009 - applied SSN and State ID

05/29/2009 - received from mail SSN

05/30/2009 - received from mail state ID

08/17/2009 - Department of Homeland in Reno interview schedule

thank God, it was so easy interview and it took us 5mins then i was approved.

08/24/2009 - got my temporary residence card.

"God is good all the time..."

"believe in what your eyes can't see but can only be felt in your heart, its faith..."

"As we go thru complying our case requirements, give us Lord your strength, englightenment and lead us the way..."

:help: i'm on a K1 visa and my husband lost his job few days ago. we are confused right now what to do. can i still get my SSN even though he don't have a job? can we still file for AOS? :crying: what are the procedures on the case like us?we got married just a week ago but still our minds needs some clear information on what's the next thing to do. i hope you could help us give a guide. thank you so much and God bless... :innocent:

Getting your SSN has nothing to do with him losing his job and you can get it with no problems. You can still file for AOS but you might want to wait until he has a new job. Right now he should file for unemployment and start looking for a new job.

If I was you I'd spend the next few months getting your finances stable if you have the money file for AOS before the K-1 expires, if not file as soon as you can.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Does he have any family member or friends that can assist with the Affidavit of support? I think that should help. With the economy as it is it should be no surprise to them that person's will be out of a job but you need to have someone willing to support you guys so that you will not be seen as dependent on the State.

You can also ask an immigration lawyer at justanswer.com. It will cost you only $15 nothing more.

Edited by kcoyclay1

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Filed: Other Timeline
You can still file for AOS but you might want to wait until he has a new job. Right now he should file for unemployment and start looking for a new job.

Bad advice. What if it takes him 2 years to find another job?

Apply for AOS as soon as humanly possible, and get a friend or family member to do an affidavit of support as joint sponsor. If by the time the interview rolls around your husband has a new job, you won't need the co-sponsor.

If you file for AOS now, you can get your own EAD and start looking for work yourself, rather than just sitting there unable to do anything.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Bad advice. What if it takes him 2 years to find another job?

That is my point, depending on their circumstances they may not have the 1000 bucks to spend right now for AOS. If it takes 2 years for her husband to find a job in all probability it will take longer than that for her to find a job.

Having enough money to live day to day is far more importasnt in my opinion than using scarce resources to file for AOS. As I said if they can afford it go ahead and file before the ninety days but if they cant in my opinion it would be far better to wait.

Edited by geezer

It's VERY important to adjust status ASAP. If something negative should happen to the relationship or to the petitioner the beneficiary will have to leave the US.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

It's VERY important to adjust status ASAP. If something negative should happen to the relationship or to the petitioner the beneficiary will have to leave the US.

I agree that it is very important. I think they should do it as soon as possible.

However, if they dont have the money and there is a choice between eating, paying the rent, buying medicine ect and spending the money for the adjustment of status I would put off the AOS and file as soon as my finances would allow it.

Being unemployed is tough, sometimes hard choices need to be made and in my opinion providing for your family always comes first.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree that it is very important. I think they should do it as soon as possible.

However, if they dont have the money and there is a choice between eating, paying the rent, buying medicine ect and spending the money for the adjustment of status I would put off the AOS and file as soon as my finances would allow it.

Being unemployed is tough, sometimes hard choices need to be made and in my opinion providing for your family always comes first.

I would think that if you have the 1010.00 to file saved up or to cash advance a low % credit card to do it. It would allow your fiancee to work with the EAD card if needed. But if you waited until you found a job because money is tight that is ok also. I waited a year until I filed for my wifes AOS and it hasn't been a big deal we traveled and I didn't want her to think about working so I took that option off the table by not filing. I think going to the interview without a job is not a good idea. Tough decision.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.