Eveline

*Baby Corner*

5,409 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I had to add that I think how much your child catches colds, etc is genetic too. I was rarely sick as a child and my husband is extremely healthy (I have seen him sick with a cold once in the 4.5 years he has been here). I wasn't able to breastfeed my twins (they were on formula) and they were only sick once their first year of life, and it was very minor. They too chew on just about everything (even though I try to stop it when we are out) and go to a private babysitter. She and her mom and have been sick throughout the year (as well as myself) and Hana and Zak have been healthy. I joke they took all my antibodies and left me with little!

As for the baby supplies, good luck with deciding what you want. We were given lots of hand me downs (clothes, toys, bottles, bottle warmer, etc) and that helped. I can tell you I HATED the baby gowns. My two would NEVER keep their feet in and were always cold. The gown was always up around their chest and annoyed the ####### out of me. I ended up buying LOTS of Sleep and Play outfits.

Zak is already my little toddler. OMG...he will love to eat something one night and totally refuse the next night. All he wants to eat are crackers, toast, and cheese. He hates to have dirty hands and will not eat something if he has to touch it and it is sticky (like the watermelon pieces last night...however...he decided the taste was better than the feeling and finally ate some). So...he wants mom or dad to feed him. Then...gets frustrated because he is not feeding himself. He is still not coordinated enough to use a spoon by himself. So...a little while more of frustrated baby. :(

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
At the risk of being controversial, I would suggest buying the BFing stuff in advance, maybe with the exception of the pump, just because it is so expensive. If my insurance had covered it, I might have rented a hospital pump for the first month or two to make sure everything was going ok before actually buying one.

The reason I say to go ahead and buy the other stuff is for psychological reasons. The same reason that they tell you not to buy a can of formula "just in case". When things get rough with BFing, as they often are in the first weeks, it might be tempting to give up. I was really dead-set on BFing, maybe too much so, but I wanted to give myself the best chance possible at succeeding. So I bought the bras, and the creams, and the Boppy, and anything else that was recommended to make my BFing experience a good one.

I was sooooooooo deadset on bfing - I wasn't going to be one of those moms that gave their kids formula. Oh how things changed!!! :blush: I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to do the breastfeeding routine. I had the boppy, bras, breast pads, lanisoh cream, teas, meds, nipple shields, medela double pump, whole medela system of bottles, I had the whole g'damn bfing toys that one could have. But what happened to me??? Fvcking tits didn't work!!! Baby didn't even want to try feeding with me. Milk hardly came in. The whole thing was a Mongolian-sized clusterfvck. :ranting:

Actually, for psychological reasons, having all this sh!t around after I finally gave up made me feel like even more of a failure. It sucked balls to look at things that cost hundreds of dollars and know that I couldn't use it. I actually felt kind of like an impotent man whose peter wouldn't work with a pretty woman. When it came to my tits and breastfeeding, I was impotent. :crying:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
At the risk of being controversial, I would suggest buying the BFing stuff in advance, maybe with the exception of the pump, just because it is so expensive. If my insurance had covered it, I might have rented a hospital pump for the first month or two to make sure everything was going ok before actually buying one.

The reason I say to go ahead and buy the other stuff is for psychological reasons. The same reason that they tell you not to buy a can of formula "just in case". When things get rough with BFing, as they often are in the first weeks, it might be tempting to give up. I was really dead-set on BFing, maybe too much so, but I wanted to give myself the best chance possible at succeeding. So I bought the bras, and the creams, and the Boppy, and anything else that was recommended to make my BFing experience a good one.

You know, it was actually the opposite with me. I had cans of sample formula at home and it helped me relax knowing that I had backup, should anything happen. But that was my whole approach to BFing - relax and if it happens, it happens, if not it's not a big deal. Worked for us but I guess everyone's different :yes:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

finally settled back in and unpacked but now Molly and i have a stupid cold, more than likely from the plane, and why do colds always get worse at night???

I cant believe Dylan will be 3 in march, time flies!! and to think Molly will be one in May...wow

Edited by Chrissy25

Chrissy UK (Yorkshire) John USA (Minnesota)

20/July/05 Married in Las Vegas!!

AOS approved April 12th 2006!!

4/01/08 mailed I-751 to Nebraska

4/3/08 package arrives at Nebraska

4/11/08 check cashed

4/14/08 recieved NOA extension letter

4/26/08 recieved biometrics appointment letter plus it looks like our case has been forwarded to California!

5/02/08 Biometrics scheduled

5/02/08 Biometrics completed in 10 mins!

Woo Hoo....8/28/08 Recieved 10yr Greencard in mail, no approved email!! We are done!!!

.png

.png

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I was sooooooooo deadset on bfing - I wasn't going to be one of those moms that gave their kids formula. Oh how things changed!!! :blush: I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to do the breastfeeding routine. I had the boppy, bras, breast pads, lanisoh cream, teas, meds, nipple shields, medela double pump, whole medela system of bottles, I had the whole g'damn bfing toys that one could have. But what happened to me??? Fvcking tits didn't work!!! Baby didn't even want to try feeding with me. Milk hardly came in. The whole thing was a Mongolian-sized clusterfvck. :ranting:

Actually, for psychological reasons, having all this sh!t around after I finally gave up made me feel like even more of a failure. It sucked balls to look at things that cost hundreds of dollars and know that I couldn't use it. I actually felt kind of like an impotent man whose peter wouldn't work with a pretty woman. When it came to my tits and breastfeeding, I was impotent. :crying:

I know you know this, but one look at Enzo shows what a great job you have done. He's healthy, happy, and just beautiful.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
I know you know this, but one look at Enzo shows what a great job you have done. He's healthy, happy, and just beautiful.

Thank you, Carol Anne - he really is lovely. He is my little soy baby and I just think he's a peach! :wub:

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
You know, it was actually the opposite with me. I had cans of sample formula at home and it helped me relax knowing that I had backup, should anything happen. But that was my whole approach to BFing - relax and if it happens, it happens, if not it's not a big deal. Worked for us but I guess everyone's different :yes:

Saludos,

Caro

It was sort of the same for me. I kept the samples. I gave two to my mom (asked her not to use them unless I was unconscious) and hid the rest, resolved not to touch them. I've been so afraid of throwing off his demand and losing my supply. I think hubby forgot about them because sometimes when my pumped supply ran low, he would ask if we couldn't just get some formula. My mom cracked one open the other day and dipped Rayan's paci in it, trying to calm him during a 2-hour visit (I didn't bring milk), but he didn't like the formula and still won't take a paci.

When I woke up this morning, I had rolled away from Rayan, but he had somehow followed me and latched on better than usual. I think he was nursing while he and I were both asleep.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
Thank you, Carol Anne - he really is lovely. He is my little soy baby and I just think he's a peach! :wub:

He is a cutie! And I know how you feel with the whole bfing. I tried and was "successful" for 2 weeks but developed mastitis that lasted for 2 weeks and had an on and off fever because of it. When I moved to VA, away from my whole fam, I was so scared to start bfing again and my milk supply had gone down. It was a horrible experience for me and I regret not trying harder. Eman will be three in less than 2 wks and i still have pangs of regret.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
little tummies is a medicine that you use when the baby has colic

wearable blankets is a blanket they wear, like this:

babygeartodaycom-halo-wearable-blanket2.jpg

babies until 1 year old at least shouldn't be using a regular blanket to sleep

I have that sleeping bag. I bought it on sale at marshalls for $4. I don't like fleece much but he was wearing cotton jammies underneath and these are the only things that kept him warm at night. Too bad he has outgrown them now. Ben kicks off every blanket..

whoaaa. lol. sorry you had such a bad experience. I can relate to that. I had huge issues during the first 6 weeks. but I had the opposite problem, I had too much milk and was super engorged and on top of that I had latching problems because I wasn't allowed to bf for the first week when I had to be re-admitted. I would have thrown the towel if I could have. definitely. But thank God it started to get better. It took me 4 months to get a good latch and 6 weeks for the pain to subside. I remember the bf struggle worse than the labor pain. haha.

The hospital gave us a diaper bag with ready-to-feed formula. I used 1 or 2 of the bottles to supplement before my milk came in, Ben was very jaundiced and a low intake can make the jaundice worse, so I fed him a bottle and then never used the rest of the pack. It was definitely peace of mind to have them around.

I think it helps when you have a positive attitude towards breastfeeding but be aware that for some women it just doesn't work, it will spare you the guilt and the disappointment. Same goes for c-section vs vaginal birth.

There are some great ressources like la Leche League or lactation consultants at the hospital/birthing center. But I was always a little grossed out by the thought that some stranger would walk in, grab my boobies and try to get my infant to latch.... It's weird, I have done that a hundred times as a nurse but personally I was just happy I didn't have to deal with these people much myself.

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Timeline

I second that! Enzo is one big ball of hugable cuteness :wub:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***

Timeline
It was sort of the same for me. I kept the samples. I gave two to my mom (asked her not to use them unless I was unconscious) and hid the rest, resolved not to touch them. I've been so afraid of throwing off his demand and losing my supply. I think hubby forgot about them because sometimes when my pumped supply ran low, he would ask if we couldn't just get some formula. My mom cracked one open the other day and dipped Rayan's paci in it, trying to calm him during a 2-hour visit (I didn't bring milk), but he didn't like the formula and still won't take a paci.

When I woke up this morning, I had rolled away from Rayan, but he had somehow followed me and latched on better than usual. I think he was nursing while he and I were both asleep.

Caybee, Sebas stop needing help to latch on around 6 weeks. All he needs is the ####### within reach and he dives for it...Sometimes even before I have time to open my shirt :lol:

***Justin And Caro***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I gave the samples away to a local charity after I came home from the hospital (they came by mail, I guess they had my address from Motherhood Maternity). I made sure that the hospital had the right kind of lactation consultants, the IBCLCs. Some nurses just call themselves LCs and all they do is shouting at you to latch that baby on and it shouldn't hurt, you must be doing something wrong. :( Unfortunately, not all hospitals have the good ones. They were so knowledgeable and had all those thingies there, the pump, the SNS system... We ended up renting the hospital pump for 2 weeks. I didn't open my Medela til then. unopened you can return it, just not opened. My insurance paid the supplies in the hospital, but not renting the thing at home, but that was ok. I had so much oversupply, the fridge looked like a dairy farm. I had a gallon in there after 5 days!!! I froze a lot, used it later in baths to soothe is booty (took me a while to figure out his skin is sensitive to disposable diapers).

It's really hard to battle low supply, especially as many doctors don't know what to do. There are two meds that help, Reglan and Domiperone, but it's hard to get a RX for it... And it's not guaranteed to work.

Jona knows "nursy nursy" very well. :P Poor guy, when he was younger (like below 6 months) he couldn't swallow as fast as my letdown was. I ended up letting the first 30 seconds of milk run into a cloth, it sprayed seriously about 5 feet. Oversupply is ok for kids, but not fun for mom. Man that hurt. And I looked like I had implants. I still wore my size 2 after birth and then those HUGE boobs, I noticed how men stared at them, it was soooo uncomfy! Luckily it normalized itself after a while...

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Timeline

Mommies, please pass this on. This is terrible!!

Babywise Linked to Babies' Dehydration, Failure to Thrive

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

The American Acadmy of Pediatricians stongly disapproves of the Ezzo's method (Babywise).

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

OMG, any parent who believes this b/s and is heartless enough to try this on their newborn shouldn't have children in the first place. I wonder if this person has children?? It says he has no medical background. How dare he write a book about infant nutrition? And then have the audacity to promote this to obstetricians and pediatricians?? Having a kid who is a poor sleeper myself, I can see how some parents get frustrated and want to try different methods of helping their kids go to sleep. But refusing a NEWBORN to eat??? WTH? I hope someone is going to sue this idiot!

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008