sajori

Am I counted in the household size? Taxes?!

10 posts in this topic

My dad is going to be my co-sponsor for my Ukrainian fiance:

My family consists of

Dad

Mom

Sister (19) still dependent

Me (24) living at home temporarily, but I'm not on their taxes, and haven't been living at home for the previous two years

What would our household size be?

Dad

Mom

Sister

Fiance

? So four? I definitely don't have to include myself, correct?

My parents file taxes together...does my mom have to fill out an I-134 too?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My family consists of

Dad

Mom

Me (24) living at home temporarily, but I'm not on their taxes, and haven't been living at home for the previous two years

Dad

Mom

Sister

Fiance

Thanks in advance!

You would not be counted in your parent's household size. On parent can be a co-sponsor, so chose one with enough individual income to qualify, then have thems supply a tax return, even if joint but include all W2's and 1099's as applicable so the individual income can be separated from the total.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My family consists of

Dad

Mom

Dad

Mom

Sister

Fiance

Thanks in advance!

You would not be counted in your parent's household size. On parent can be a co-sponsor, so chose one with enough individual income to qualify, then have thems supply a tax return, even if joint but include all W2's and 1099's as applicable so the individual income can be separated from the total.

I will try to answer both your questions. Though you have a good answer already regarding your parents.

YOUR household size, for your I-134 would be 2. You and your fiance. Your father will have to state all people dependent on him (not you if you are not claimed on the taxes) Your father can present the joint tax return and w-2s for his income. It will have to be enough for for a family size of 5, since he will be co-sponsoring you and your fiance in addition to your mother and sister.

To qualify for a family of two, right now, you need to make about $17,500 per year, but this will go up on March 1 and be effective in the consulates on April 1. If your interview is after April 1, you (and your father) will have to qualify at the higher rate, and we do not know what that will be. Last year the rate went up about $2,500 four a family of four, who knows this year. If your interview is before April 1, maybe you will qualify???? A letter from your employer stating your anticipated income should be sufficient. There is no need to include a bank letter with your affadavit if you do not want, especially if you will have a co-sponsor. But if you claim as "current annual income" more than the amount reflected in your 2008 w-2 or tax return then you should include and employment letter and check stubs.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Gary,

At the beginning of your response you say that I would NOT be a dependent...but then later you say I would be, and that we would be a family of five. If he did not claim me, why would we be 5? (Am I misunderstanding something?) Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

Timeline
Gary,

At the beginning of your response you say that I would NOT be a dependent...but then later you say I would be, and that we would be a family of five. If he did not claim me, why would we be 5? (Am I misunderstanding something?) Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

He's wrong. As a US Citizen you are not "sponsored". Your father's household size is four.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Gary,

He's wrong. As a US Citizen you are not "sponsored". Your father's household size is four.

I stand corrected. However it begs a clarification. Somewhere the US citizen must be "counted" though I agree that you should not be counted twice. Sorry. In retrospect, YOUR I-134 would be for TWO (you and your fiance) and your father's would be for FOUR (himself, mother, sister and co-sponsor of fiance). I have made the error of mixing taxes with sponsorship. Your fiance will not be a "dependent" on your father's taxes (or should not be), but he WILL be counted in the family size as he is being sponsored by your father. Being counted on the I-134 does not make one a "dependent" in the eyes of the IRS, and that is where I gave a confusing answer. I never intended to say you would be a "dependent" on your father's taxes, but my garbled words would be the reason you thought so. :)

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Gary,

I stand corrected. However it begs a clarification. Somewhere the US citizen must be "counted" though I agree that you should not be counted twice. Sorry. In retrospect, YOUR I-134 would be for TWO (you and your fiance) and your father's would be for FOUR (himself, mother, sister and co-sponsor of fiance). I have made the error of mixing taxes with sponsorship. Your fiance will not be a "dependent" on your father's taxes (or should not be), but he WILL be counted in the family size as he is being sponsored by your father. Being counted on the I-134 does not make one a "dependent" in the eyes of the IRS, and that is where I gave a confusing answer. I never intended to say you would be a "dependent" on your father's taxes, but my garbled words would be the reason you thought so. :)

Of course the USC is counted. They are counted in their own household.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Gary,

Now I feel like I need to correct you guys?!?! But maybe I just don't understand you.

This is the description!

How Do I Count Household Size?

Your household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return, all persons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and any immigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or FormI-864 EZ affidavit of support whom you are still obligated to support.

Dad, Mom, Sister, Fiance

Why in the world would I be included? Just because I made under the poverty level doesn't make me a dependent!

Timeline
Gary,

Now I feel like I need to correct you guys?!?! But maybe I just don't understand you.

This is the description!

Your household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return, all persons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and any immigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or FormI-864 EZ affidavit of support whom you are still obligated to support.

Dad, Mom, Sister, Fiance

Why in the world would I be included? Just because I made under the poverty level doesn't make me a dependent!

As Pushbrk pointed out, and I agreed I made an error, YOU will not be counted on your FATHER's I-134. However you will also need to file an I-134 and you WILL be counted on yours.

YOUR I-134 will be for a family size of TWO. Your fathers will be four a family size of FOUR.

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Gary,

This is the description!

Dad, Mom, Sister, Fiance

As Pushbrk pointed out, and I agreed I made an error, YOU will not be counted on your FATHER's I-134. However you will also need to file an I-134 and you WILL be counted on yours.

YOUR I-134 will be for a family size of TWO. Your fathers will be four a family size of FOUR.

That is correct.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.