mason

Applied for K1 but now we will marry in her country first

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey I really need some help with this one. We originally planned to just have a ceremony in her country and only get legally married in the USA. However her family wants a catholic wedding and their priest will not do the wedding unless we have gone to the court and made it official. We did not know this stuff a few months ago when we filed for the K1. So we have the K1 pending right now, and we will have to be legally married in Brazil before she actually uses the visa.

Can anyone help me with this? I am really confused. Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Once you marry in Brazil or any other place outside the USA, then the K-1 becomes invalid and you would have to withdraw your K-1 and file for either the K-3/CR-1. Think it over before you make your decision.

How long has it been since you filed the K-1?

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Hey I really need some help with this one. We originally planned to just have a ceremony in her country and only get legally married in the USA. However her family wants a catholic wedding and their priest will not do the wedding unless we have gone to the court and made it official. We did not know this stuff a few months ago when we filed for the K1. So we have the K1 pending right now, and we will have to be legally married in Brazil before she actually uses the visa.

Can anyone help me with this? I am really confused. Thanks

You can no longer use the K-1 if you get legally married in Brazil.

You will have to stop the petition, and file for K-3/CR-1.

You could always explain it to her family, have her come over on the K-1, just do the motions of getting a legal marriage license in the US, then apply for AOS/AP.

Once you get the AP (90 days or so), you can go back to her country and do the family marriage.

Umit and I are doing the same thing.

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Once you marry in Brazil or any other place outside the USA, then the K-1 becomes invalid and you would have to withdraw your K-1 and file for either the K-3/CR-1. Think it over before you make your decision.

How long has it been since you filed the K-1?

We filed November 10th.

Thanks for the reply. I'll speak with her about this tonight.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello,

I'm in the exactly same situation as you are (I'm the Brazilian fiance). Here's what we are gonna do: we talked to the priest and he said that the Catholic church makes exceptions when you can prove why you can't get legally married first. We told him about the K1 process and he assured that it could be resolved. You'll need a baptism certificate copy from the American fiance (so they'll know he/she's not atheist). Provide translations of your NOA1 and you should be good. We were able to work it out here in Maceio, AL, hope you have the same luck!

By the way, does anyone know if it's a good thing to take the wedding invitation to the consulate interview as a supporting document? Thanks!

Edited by Future Mrs Disney

K-1 TIMELINE:

05-11-2009: NOA1

05-20-2009: called the Military Help Line and requested for expedite

06-04-2009: NOA2

06-14-2009: NVC letter received in the mail

07-02-2009: Packet 4 received

08-27-2009: Interview - Visa approved!

09-03-2009: visa in hands.

09-20-2009: POE - Miami

09-21-2009: we got married!

AOS TIMELINE:

05-12-2010: NOA1

06-08-2010: Case transferred to CSC

06-21-2010: Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So it's been almost 2 months since you have filed for the K-1. I assume your check has been cashed and you've gotten your NOA1? I agree with Bobby&Umit. Have the legal marriage in the USA, and then just go back to her home country for a big celebration. :)

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.