JayP

After CR1, can enter US temporarily?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My wife received her CR1 visa and we'd like to backpack around the world for a few months before we enter the US for good. The problem is that then we would be entering the US outside the 6 month window of her CR1 visa.

So, we plan on entering the US on her CR1 visa, staying for a week or so, and then taking off on our backpacking trip. We'd probably get back to the US 8 months later.

Are there any hidden gotcha's with our plan? Something we should avoid? Might they not allow her to re-enter the US after 8 months?

Thanks,

James

My wife received her CR1 visa and we'd like to backpack around the world for a few months before we enter the US for good. The problem is that then we would be entering the US outside the 6 month window of her CR1 visa.

So, we plan on entering the US on her CR1 visa, staying for a week or so, and then taking off on our backpacking trip. We'd probably get back to the US 8 months later.

Are there any hidden gotcha's with our plan? Something we should avoid? Might they not allow her to re-enter the US after 8 months?

Thanks,

James

It is my understanding that once you receive your cr1 you have 6 months to enter the us on it. After arriving in the US you have a 3yr waiting period for permanent resident status. Out of that 3 yrs at least half has to be spent inside the US with no period outside the country exceeding 6 months in a given year for the duration of the 3 yr period. Anyone else feel free to correct me if i have read the instructions wrong.

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

Marriage : 2007-05-10

I-130 Sent : 2008-06-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-07-09

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-27

NVC Received : 2009-02-02

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-02-11

DS-3032 E-Mail accepted: 2009-02-11

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-02-14

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-02-14

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-02-18

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-02-11

IV Bill generated: 2009-02-11

Receive IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Pay IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Receive Instruction Package : 2009-02-18

NVC received both packages: 2009-02-20

DS-230 & I-864 scanned NVC: 2009-02-23

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-02-26

Interview confirmed: 2009-02-27

NVC Left : 2009-03-06

Consulate Received : 2009-03-09

Medical completed: 2009-03-20

Interview Date : 2009-04-03

Visa Received : 2009-04-07

US Entry : 2009-05-10

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Thanks,

James

If she received her visa, I would advise that she go ahead and enter the US and stay for 3 weeks or till she received her greencard, this way the green card will be processed and you have it before travelling. Once she received the greencard, you can travel anywhere, provided that she will come back in the US before 11 months.

Now, prior to travelling, probably you should ask also if your wife need a visa to the country you are travelling, as she is still considered as Foreign national even she has a greencard..

(based from experiences)

Edited by Completely
jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks,

James

It is my understanding that once you receive your cr1 you have 6 months to enter the us on it. After arriving in the US you have a 3yr waiting period for permanent resident status. Out of that 3 yrs at least half has to be spent inside the US with no period outside the country exceeding 6 months in a given year for the duration of the 3 yr period. Anyone else feel free to correct me if i have read the instructions wrong.

This is incorrect. Conditional permanent resident status is granted upon US entry. The green card should arrive within a month. I would wait for it before leaving the US again.

21 months after entry, you file to remove conditions on the permanent residency. Three years after entry on a CR1 visa, the permanent resident may qualify for citizenship.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.