faith0922

extension of spouse visa

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to extend a DCF-granted spouse visa?

My husband an I have are still waiting for a decision on our current temporary (457) visa in Australia. If this is denied, we may not have enough time to repeat the whole DCF process again, as we will have 28 days (after Australian visa denial) to make arrangements to depart the country. Like all of you, we don't want to be separated. :wacko:

Thanks

June 10, 2008 - Filed I-130 at the Perth Consulate

June 23, 2008 - Made a follow up email enquiry, was told "petition will not be approved until a background check is performed on you and you have cleared that process under the Adam Walsh Act."

July 3, 2008 - Received communication that husband's Adam Walsh clearance request was sent on June 23, 2008.

July 3, 2008 - Received PACKET 3 on email!!! soon after previous email.

July 9, 2008 - Saw GP for a varicella shot. Will need to get the 2nd dose after 4 weeks.

July 14, 2008 - Medical appointment.

July 20, 2008 - Fingerprints taken (finally!)

July 21, 2008 - Sent application for Australian name and fingerprint check.

July 22, 2008 - Sent DS-230 Parts I & II .

Aug 5, 2008 - Sent DS-2001 and supporting documents (minus Aus Police clearance)

Aug 11, 2008 - Received Australian Police Clearance

Aug 14, 2008 - Received PACKET 4!

Aug 26, 2008 - Visa Interview... VISA APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Visas can't be extended, but in certain circumstances, they can be re-issued. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules as to when re-issue can be done, you need to plead your case with the embassy. I know it has been done in cases where the DCF couple has kids in school and wanted to wait to move until they school year was over. That being said "we may not want to use the US visa as we'd rather have the Australian visa" probably doesn;t sound very good to the US embassy....

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Hi Faith, long time no see :) How are things?

Are you saying that if your Aussie visa is granted you will forfeit your CR1 and remain in Australia?

I'm not sure if extensions are possible but one idea that might be possible is the both of you taking a holiday in Hawaii before the visa expiry date. That way you can enjoy a nice vacation there and activate your CR1 at the same time.

Edited by kaffy

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.