pinayangelus

Certified marriage certificate and birth certificate?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

hi, i have a question about getting certified copies of my marriage certificate and birth certificate...

- what would constitute as a "certified copy", i have both the originals if that makes any difference?

- is there any other way that i could get a certified copy, rather than sending off for certified copies of my birth certificate (in london, uk) or marriage certificate (las vegas, nv)? Because it takes more time and money?

Thank you!

May 2002 -- Met online.

07/16/02 -- Decided to start a long distance relationship.

01/09/04 -- Finally met him in person when he visited me in London, UK.

June & Dec 04 -- Visited him in Los Angeles, CA.

07/10/05 -- Arrived in the U.S. on F-1 Visa.

07/18/05 -- Got married in Las Vegas, NV.

01/08/09 -- Visited London, UK with him.

06/12/09 -- My graduation, F-1 Visa expires in 60 days.

07/30/09 -- Sent off I-485 and I-130 TODAY!

08/02/09 -- Delivered to Chicago Lockbox @ 9.35pm.

08/05/09 -- Checks cashed.

08/08/09 -- Recieved 4 NOA-1's (I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765).

08/11/09 -- Recieved Biometrics Appointment for 08/28/09 @ 10am.

08/13/09 -- Early (Walk-In) Biometrics taken today.

08/28/09 -- Original Biometrics Appointment.

09/08/09 -- Recieved Interview Appointment in Los Angeles, CA for 10/09/09 @ 9.45am.

09/15/09 -- EAD card production ordered.

09/16/09 -- AP document approval notice sent.

09/22/09 -- AP document recieved.

09/22/09 -- EAD approval notice recieved.

09/23/09 -- EAD recieved.

09/24/09 -- Applied for SSN.

10/02/09 -- Recieved SSN in the mail.

10/09/09 -- Interview Appointment in Los Angeles, CA @ 9.45am. APPROVED

10/15/09 -- Green card production ordered.

10/16/09 -- Recieved I-485 and I-130 Approval/Welcome letter.

10/21/09 -- Green Card recieved, IN HAND.

ticker.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline
hi, i have a question about getting certified copies of my marriage certificate and birth certificate...

- what would constitute as a "certified copy", i have both the originals if that makes any difference?

- is there any other way that i could get a certified copy, rather than sending off for certified copies of my birth certificate (in london, uk) or marriage certificate (las vegas, nv)? Because it takes more time and money?

Thank you!

This is what you do......get online and do a websearch for "Rubber stamps"

then your order a rubber stamp that says "Certified Copy", and when you get it.....You stamp the sucker. And Wa-La!!! you have a certified copy. (okok..lol I have nuttin better to do cause the stock markets are closed)

Timeline

Thank you!

then your order a rubber stamp that says "Certified Copy", and when you get it.....You stamp the sucker. And Wa-La!!! you have a certified copy. (okok..lol I have nuttin better to do cause the stock markets are closed)

okkkk... thanks for not helping!

May 2002 -- Met online.

09/08/09 -- Recieved Interview Appointment in Los Angeles, CA for 10/09/09 @ 9.45am.

ticker.png

Timeline

Thank you!

Ok I', sorry lol.......I'll answer your question. In the US, some states grant Notary Publics the authority to certify a copy of a document. If Nevada is one of them, then it's an easy thing to do. You just find a notary public and they will certify a copy for you. Lemme do some research, I'll be right back............

Thank you!

OK where are you? if in the USA, what state?

Thank you!

Where are you located? If in USA, what state?

Timeline

we live in CA, got married in Las Vegas, NV and born in London, UK

May 2002 -- Met online.

ticker.png

Timeline

OK, that's easy, go find a Notary Public, show them the Original and a copy (Some ####### notaries may want to make the copy themselves). They will certify it as a true copy. You attorney can also do it of course (but the lawyer will charge u like a hundred million dollars).

By law, the Notary has to make what is known as a Journal entry. (Whether if he does it or not, that's upto him). But he'll charge u may be a few dollars to do this. No worries.....Goodluck. And yes he can certify your birth cert from England as well.

Timeline

OK, that's easy, go find a Notary Public, show them the Original and a copy (Some ####### notaries may want to make the copy themselves). They will certify it as a true copy. You attorney can also do it of course (but the lawyer will charge u like a hundred million dollars).

By law, the Notary has to make what is known as a Journal entry. (Whether if he does it or not, that's upto him). But he'll charge u may be a few dollars to do this. No worries.....Goodluck. And yes he can certify your birth cert from England as well.

Thank you very much for your help!

May 2002 -- Met online.

ticker.png

Timeline

Anytime. It was the least I could do for cracking wise-azz remarks.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

this has nothing to do at all with what is required by the USCIS.

You need to order a certified copy of the original from the issuing authority. It will come with some kind of dated stamp and signature certifying that it is a true copy of the original that they maintain in their book of records.

This take this certified copy that you receive, and run it thru a copying machine and send the copy you just made to USCIS.

Notaries dont certify anything that you will need for this process.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline

You need to order a certified copy of the original from the issuing authority. It will come with some kind of dated stamp and signature certifying that it is a true copy of the original that they maintain in their book of records.

This take this certified copy that you receive, and run it thru a copying machine and send the copy you just made to USCIS.

LOL i'm confused now. question? i have to order a certified copy, but because they need more than one copy for their files on I-130 and I-485, i dont have to send an original "certified copy" of marriage licence or birth certificate? they only need a photocopy of it?

May 2002 -- Met online.

ticker.png

Timeline

Notary Laws usually fall under a State's "executive Law" section, It varies from State to State. California does allow it's notaries to Certify a copy of a document to be a true copy. If the USCIS is not asking for a certified copy from a specific agency, then the Notary-certified copy will do. If the USCIS is asking that a copy be certified by the issuing agency, then you will need to go to that agency.

Another option that you have, is to go to your local County-Clerk's Office, and file these documents, they will file it for you (and keep the originals in their file cabinets) and anytime you need a copy, they whip it out, make a copy, and stamp it like with 5 different colorful pretty stamps certifying how true that document is.

You can also get an additional "Certificate of acknowledgement" from the Notary, this will cost you more. This is a document by the county clerk certifying the identity of the notary that certified your document.

In sum, if the USCIS did not ask for the certified copy to be issued by the original agency, then the notary copy will do. You can also bring the original to your appointment to show them where the certified copy was derived from.

Goodluck

Timeline

Notary Laws usually fall under a State's "executive Law" section, It varies from State to State. California does allow it's notaries to Certify a copy of a document to be a true copy. If the USCIS is not asking for a certified copy from a specific agency, then the Notary-certified copy will do. If the USCIS is asking that a copy be certified by the issuing agency, then you will need to go to that agency.

Another option that you have, is to go to your local County-Clerk's Office, and file these documents, they will file it for you (and keep the originals in their file cabinets) and anytime you need a copy, they whip it out, make a copy, and stamp it like with 5 different colorful pretty stamps certifying how true that document is.

You can also get an additional "Certificate of acknowledgement" from the Notary, this will cost you more. This is a document by the county clerk certifying the identity of the notary that certified your document.

In sum, if the USCIS did not ask for the certified copy to be issued by the original agency, then the notary copy will do. You can also bring the original to your appointment to show them where the certified copy was derived from.

Goodluck

once agAin...they may be certify that a copy you made in a machine is an copy of the original that you brought in. The USCIS does not need such certified copies.....they need a copy of the certified original....not a certifed copy of the certified original.

No notary is able to state that a birth certificate that you have in your possession is a valid document.; Only the issuing authorty can do this with their certiying stamp.

For instance, if you do not have a certified copy of your marriage certificate, you look up CLARK COUNTY NEVADA on the net, and then find the COUNTY RECORDERS OFFICE, (or is it the COUNTY CLERK, I dont remember off hand). They will hav instuctions on how to order a certified copy. Make sure you specify that you want it ceritied.; They charge extra for this service.

Look at what you have now...it may already be certified.

Edited by desert_fox

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline

Goodluck

once agAin...they may be certify that a copy you made in a machine is an copy of the original that you brought in. The USCIS does not need such certified copies.....they need a copy of the certified original....not a cdertied copy of the certified original.

No notary is able t9o state that a birth certificate that you have in your possession is a valid document.; Only the issuing authorty can do this with their certiying stamp.

For instance, if you do not have a certified copy of your marriage certificate, you look up CLARK COUNTY NEVADA on the net, and then find the COUNTY RECORDERS OFFICE, (or is it the COUNTY CLERK, I dont remember off hand). They will hav instuctions on how to order a certified copy. Make sure you specify that you want it ceritied.; They charge extra for this service.

Look at what you have now...it may already be certied.

Once again, the Notary is NOT certifying the VALIDITY of a document, he/she is certifying that it is a true copy of a document shown to them.

In the state of California, a Notary-certified copy is a legal document.

If the USCIS wants a copy from the ORIGINAL ISSUING agency, they will tell you that's what they want. other wise, a certified copy is just that, a certified copy by person authorized to certify a copy of a document. And in CA, a notary can do that.

Timeline

LOL thanks i guess i can get in contact with a notary or lawyer and ask him if that a notarized copy is good enough for filing immigration papers!

May 2002 -- Met online.

ticker.png

Timeline
Once again, the Notary is NOT certifying the VALIDITY of a document, he/she is certifying that it is a true copy of a document shown to them.

In the state of California, a Notary-certified copy is a legal document.

If the USCIS wants a copy from the ORIGINAL ISSUING agency, they will tell you that's what they want. other wise, a certified copy is just that, a certified copy by person authorized to certify a copy of a document. And in CA, a notary can do that.

True...

The USCIS does not require this additional certification...save your money.

Just take the document that you have in your possession to the interview. If they need to see it, they will ask for it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.