Chrissy25

England

45 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going back to the UK for a short visit next week and will be bringing back...

PG Tips teabags

Small tins of Heinz baked beans

Heinz tomato ketchup

Birds' custard powder

Crumpets

Digestive biscuits

Lemsips

Bounty bars

Treacle

Have I forgotten anything?

I'm going back to the UK for a short visit next week and will be bringing back...

PG Tips teabags

Heinz tomato ketchup

Birds' custard powder

Crumpets

Digestive biscuits

Lemsips

Bounty bars

Treacle

You cant get Heinz tomatoe Ketchup there???? Freeze some decent bread and take it back hahahahaha

PG Tips teabags

Heinz tomato ketchup

Birds' custard powder

Crumpets

Digestive biscuits

Lemsips

Bounty bars

Treacle

You cant get Heinz tomatoe Ketchup there???? Freeze some decent bread and take it back hahahahaha

The ketchup doesn't taste the same - I swear it's a different recipe. I'm making my own bread so that's something I don't need to bring - apart from crumpets - they're too hard to make.

PG Tips teabags

Heinz tomato ketchup

Birds' custard powder

Crumpets

Digestive biscuits

Lemsips

Bounty bars

Treacle

The ketchup doesn't taste the same - I swear it's a different recipe. I'm making my own bread so that's something I don't need to bring - apart from crumpets - they're too hard to make.

I never noticed that before how about marmalade and marmite and mustard...............wow they all begin with a M hahahaha

PG Tips teabags

Heinz tomato ketchup

Birds' custard powder

Crumpets

Digestive biscuits

Lemsips

Bounty bars

Treacle

I never noticed that before how about marmalade and marmite and mustard...............wow they all begin with a M hahahaha

is the ketchup not different tasting because of the corn syrup?? i know it definately doesn't taste the same!

gotta take marmite and cadburys chocolate.

07/15/2008 I-129f sent to VSC

07/19/2008 I-129f received at VSC

12/09/2008 NOA2 approved

01/13/2009 Medical completed

02/03/2009 Interview - APPROVED!!

02/28/2009 POE Raleigh/Durham

05/02/2009 Official wedding day...get to see the family!

04/11/2009 AOS paperwork sent

04/17/2009 NOA for I-765 & I-131

05/13/2009 Biometrics appointment

05/08/2009 Biometrics done

06/05/2009 EAD & AP approved

06/23/2009 back in the UK

Def go woth Digestive biscuits and treacle, brought some back with me last time and the kids think its the 8th wonder of the world !!

K1 129 days to approval

K1 179 days to interview

EAD 45 days to approval

AP 45 days to approval

AOS 69 days to approval

30676823812870142081311.th.jpg 29163923186364479831311.th.jpg 24342521234856493351311.th.jpg 28087022132678138331311.th.jpg

Nick and I in Sept '11, 2 pics of Ryan - 2 yrs old - handsome as EVER!, and one of the whole family (including Shan's mom) at Becca's 16th birthday dinner.

tND8m4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Holed up in Bramhope near Leeds in a hotel. There are rabbits playing outside. I have overdosed on cheshire cheese - timmy taylor beer- currant teacakes-pork pies - and haddock and chips with mushy peas

Bought beef bisto and branston pickle for return journey

Food in the US is total junk but I suppose a chicken is chicken - they sell pork chops that is loin cut in washington- - smells like it's off

Can buy it here in the UK but its almost dog food grade

Washington East of the Cascades is primitive in the exteme but 300 days unbroken blue sky and 8 inches rain pa counts for something

Parking spaces here are tiny and few

Everyone has cold and sneezes on me in the supermarkets... they are striking against italian workers as the Brits are losing jobs faster than the US.. so its not just the US who is not keen on aliens

the cold is damp cold - 20 degrees warmer than washington but feels colder as there is always a breeze and the damp chill goes right through ya

Everything on telly is childish toilet humour with gay inuendo and swanning around all the time

all the presenters are gay or pakistani or 19 or all of these - nothing wrong with that but i am non of these and not represented

I think US telly is ####### but this is worse and the lack of adverts spins it out longer

I reckon my homesick stuff should last another 3 days then i will be back to washington for my 3.5 lite V6 toyota and some wide roads and no litter - I wish I could say less tattoos but washington is at least as bad as england in that regard

The UK pubs are mostly trash along with their drugged, drunken, pierced, hopeless welfare dependant clientelle - but there are some solid alehouses with decent people

Well I hope I cured some homesickness with this assessment !

ps I have forgotten uk money ! the 5p looks like dime and the shilling looks like a nickel - i really have lost my money recognition ! so 5's look like 10's and 10's look like 5's

aaargghhh !!!!!

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You know I suffered from homesickness for a long time but I can get all my home comforts at JJ's which is a 20min drive from my house. I am still very nervous about the birth of our son because none of my family can make it over. My sister might be able to come but nothing definate yet :(

My Timeline or lack of:-

08-29-2000 First met

03-02-2004 He proposed

03-19-2004 Married Cincinnati, OH

03-25-2004 Forms filled waiting on Certified Marriage License.

03-29-2004 3 Copies of certified marriage license handed to me at the local probate court with the $2 per copy fee waived!!!

04-17-2004 FULL packet mailed off finally to Cincinnati Local office.

04-29-2004 Recieve NOA for I-130 and I-485 for our son.

05-01-2004 Recieve NOA for I-130, I-485 and EAD for me.

06-15-2004 Appointment for Fingerprinting and Biometrics at Cincy Sub office. - DONE!

06-17-2004 Cases status for AOS's and EAD updated on USCIS website.

06-21-2004 Fingerprinting review recieved by MSC for I-485's processing resumed.

07-06-2004 Change of addresses sent out to Nebraska, Kentucky and Cincinnati.

08-04-2004 EAD Approved.

08-16-2004 Applied for SSN card at local SSA, relatively painless but with a quirk.

01-30-2006 Interview Cincinnati, APPROVED pending Medical and Vaccination Supplement.

03-14-2006 We're PREGNANT!!

03-23-2006 AOS Notice recieved!!!!

04-03-2006 Cards recieved!

04-24-2006 Miscarriage 12w

04-01-2007 Miscarriage 6w

06-01-2007 Fertility testing begins

07-29-2007 First trip back to England in 4 years.

03-26-2009 DS2 Arrival 7lb 8oz

05-17-2010 We're expecting AGAIN!!

01-13-2011 DD Arrival 6lb 6oz

Holed up in Bramhope near Leeds in a hotel. There are rabbits playing outside. I have overdosed on cheshire cheese - timmy taylor beer- currant teacakes-pork pies - and haddock and chips with mushy peas

Bought beef bisto and branston pickle for return journey

Food in the US is total junk but I suppose a chicken is chicken - they sell pork chops that is loin cut in washington- - smells like it's off

Can buy it here in the UK but its almost dog food grade

Washington East of the Cascades is primitive in the exteme but 300 days unbroken blue sky and 8 inches rain pa counts for something

Parking spaces here are tiny and few

Everyone has cold and sneezes on me in the supermarkets... they are striking against italian workers as the Brits are losing jobs faster than the US.. so its not just the US who is not keen on aliens

the cold is damp cold - 20 degrees warmer than washington but feels colder as there is always a breeze and the damp chill goes right through ya

Everything on telly is childish toilet humour with gay inuendo and swanning around all the time

all the presenters are gay or pakistani or 19 or all of these - nothing wrong with that but i am non of these and not represented

I think US telly is ####### but this is worse and the lack of adverts spins it out longer

I reckon my homesick stuff should last another 3 days then i will be back to washington for my 3.5 lite V6 toyota and some wide roads and no litter - I wish I could say less tattoos but washington is at least as bad as england in that regard

The UK pubs are mostly trash along with their drugged, drunken, pierced, hopeless welfare dependant clientelle - but there are some solid alehouses with decent people

Well I hope I cured some homesickness with this assessment !

ps I have forgotten uk money ! the 5p looks like dime and the shilling looks like a nickel - i really have lost my money recognition ! so 5's look like 10's and 10's look like 5's

aaargghhh !!!!!

superb post! :)

Any lingering romantic notions of England can be cured by listening to Gordon Brown denying there is a recession, denying that its labour's fault, denying that the UK is badly hit, proclaiming that the government has been doing the best possible job, is standing up for British workers - the guy makes me sick. Almost makes me want Blair back, at least Blair would lie to me in a nice way. Brown is beneath contempt, beneath assassination even, i wish he would just melt away into an arrogant little puddle of lying blubber and everyone would shrug and carry on...

I miss English pubs. Well, some of them. Not the quasi-violent football supporter pubs, or the pseudo-posh "trendy wine bars", nor the faux-irish-oh-be-gar! drinking dens, nor the bland, DFS-chain-depression Whetherspoons, nor even the front-room local "you must be new around here" uber-locals. The other ones.. mmm.. this might be romanticizing after all. My apologies. It does, however, beat sitting around in the bar in Chillis or Applebies for the lack of anywhere else to sit with a beer, and the US has to develop the concept of The Pint further. Its close, its trying, but there is room for improvement.

Thoughts of England: Litter. Graffiti. Smashed up phone boxes. Parking fines. Smashed up bus stops. graffiti'd bus stops. Litter everywhere. Being charged to park in your own town center to shop in your own local shops. Graffiti on vans, buses, trains, anything that can't move. abandoned cars that have been smashed up, graffiti'd on then fly-tipped. Anyone with an ounce of compassion breaks down in tears - why would you do that? why would you drop that on the floor? what happened here? why do these people do this?

The weather? beautiful looking clouds - granted - impressive 10,000 foot high monoliths of moisture towering, belittling, but by GOD it can rain. I remember the summer before last, my final summer in the UK. We had sun all the way through May, then rain through to September, then some nice autumn sunshine, then rain again till I left in January. Enough even to make a grown man think its Not Fair!. Not after the bay area's near constant heart-warming warmth that lets me wear only a light jacket even today, in early Feb. And if I want real weather? 200 miles away and 6000ft up i have all of Lake Tahoe's snow to play in :)

there are many things i don't like about the US: I'm being forced to grow a gut from too much food and lack of exercise. My pregnant wife and potential son's next six months will cost us about $6k - albeit for stellar care - but if i lose my job? my god, we're in trouble. Big, brown, sticky trouble. Trouble that will be painful, lingering, worry-stricken. But if I keep my job? Happy days - merry middle class grilling-on-the-deck-days. Such a strange balancing act over here: If you perform - and if the right people see you perform - life is sweet. but fall off the log and - seriously - no-one will catch you. The upside - again - is that everyone knows this. This is the American dream: That you, and only you, hold the key to your future. Whether thats a good or a bad thing determines whether its a good or a bad dream :)

When I'm finally a naturalized US Citizen, we'll move back to the UK for a few years, so our child gets a chance to see two cultures, (and thereby, hopefully, learning that there is more commonality in humans than there is difference), but the USA is where I consider myself happiest now.. I feel I'm doing now what my fore-fathers should have done 200+ years ago when people first talked about America. Its not a dream, as such, its just a very nice place to live :)

Sorry about the long post, not many people care for the rantings of an Englishman about England. Certainly not on Superbowl Sunday. but its nice to be able to rant to people who might get it. And after saywhats refreshing dose of reality I couldn't hold back :)

Tom

Edited by tom_g

History:

K1
I-129F sent : 27-4-07...NAO1 received : 21-5-2007...NOA2 received : 29-8-2007...PKT 3 received : 20-10-2007...PKT 3 returned : 15-11-2007...PKT 4 received : 06-12-2007...Interview : 02-01-2008...Flight : 13-01-2008...Marriage : 15-01-2008

AOS
Entered USA.....01-13-08.....0...Married.....01-15-08.....2...Filed AOS.....01-17-08.....4...Received.....01-21-08.....8...NOAs (dated).....02-04-08.....22...Cheques cashed.....02-06-08.....24...Biometrics.....02-22-08.....40
Changed address online.....02-25-08.....43...Touched (AOS/EAD/AP).....02-26-08.....44...Address change receipt (mail).....03-07-08.....54...AP approval email.....03-12-08.....59...EAD card mailed.....03-18-08.....65...EAD card arrives.....03-20-08.....67...AOS Interview.....07-17-08.....186

ROC
Event.....Date.....Day......Mailed I-751.....07/07/10.....0...Re-sent I-751.....07/15/10.....8 (photocopy)...NAO1 Date.....07/16/10.....9...NOA1 Rec'd.....07/23/10.....16...BIO Notice.....07/26/10.....19...BIO...Rec'd.....07/30/10.....23...BIO Date.....08/12/10.....36...Card sent.....09/28/10.....83...Card Rec'd.....10/04/10.....89

Present:

N-400

Event.....Date....Day

Mailed N-400.....6 Mar 2014.....0

NOA.....11 Mar 2014.....5

BIO.....2 Apr 2014....27

INT.....10 June.....65

What's this better life-work balance that people talk about? All I know is that when I started working in the USA I had to work a whole year before I was entitled to any vacation :wacko: and all I get are two measly weeks per year, which isn't long enough to justify spending it all on a trip home. I always wondered why americans took 4 day weekend breaks to Mexico and the Caribbean - (to eke out their miserable vacation time!).

That's my main bugbear, apart from the health insurance rip-off of course.

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

You're absolutely right, Heinz ketchup is different here. It has 'onion powder' in it here in the US but in Britain, there's no trace of onion anything in it. That's the taste difference. I'm allergic to the wheat flour that's in the British version of 'onion powder' - it took me a very long time to work out that American 'onion powder' is not the same stuff and doesn't have the wheat, so I can still eat the Heinz stuff over here but you're right - it's not the same.

Also, totally agree on the Lemsip! 'Theraflu' is just not the same stuff!! :lol:

As for the OP and whether I would move back to England - yes, in my heart of hearts, I'd love to. I love living here in GA for a multitude of reasons, not least the lower cost of living, the weather and the fact that young people actually call me 'Sir' (I'm 25!) and don't hang out on street corners drinking White Lightning. That all said, healthcare should be a right not a privilege, the foods available in supermarkets are broadly just not as good as I'm used to and ultimately, this country just isn't Home. But the stepkids are too young to transplant to the UK at this point, so we're probably looking ten years+ before a move back to Blighty is a real possibility. Hopefully the economy will be fixed by then too, huh? :lol:

Whether my wife will be able to consider Britain as 'home' is I guess, something we won't know until when/if we get there.

Note to self: Never post on VJ after knocking back several Strongbow (Kroger and my local Walmart, btw!) you tend to ramble when inebriated :lol::blush:

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Note to self: Never post on VJ after knocking back several Strongbow (Kroger and my local Walmart, btw!) you tend to ramble when inebriated :lol::blush:

:o :o You found Cider here???? I'm going to start campaigning my local Walmart :lol:

:o :o You found Cider here???? I'm going to start campaigning my local Walmart :lol:

Yes! :dance: You have Kroger in Florida, don't you? It's available in most of my local Kroger stores and in my local Walmart at $7.50 to $8 or so for 6 12oz/355ml glass bottles. You can also get Newcastle Brown Ale and Boddingtons (both in Walmart) and Stella, Grolsch, etc (Kroger) :D for about the same price in the same type of bottles.

Check the bottled 6-pack beer section of your supermarket, it's normally hiding there somewhere :lol:

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.