trailmix

What do we know about Employment Insurance

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, so I have been thinking that it would be nice to have a VJ Canada Wiki page, with some information on EI. The pinned thread is useful for discussion - not so useful for actually getting information.

So that compiling this info isn't too grueling, I thought we could just post what we actually know, or think we know, in this thread and I will attempt to make it in to some kind of useful page on the Wiki.

I guess I will start:

The out of country EI office number is: 1-877-486-1650

The website for EI is here: http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/menu/eihome.shtml

The online application is here: http://www100.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/ae-ei/dem-ap...lish/home2.html

The info on out of country claims is here: http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/inf...de_canada.shtml

K1, K3 and CR1/IR1 visa applicants/green card holders are eligible

Applying:

- You can apply online

- Ideally your ROE will show your reason for quitting as - relocating to be with spouse/get married/etc - however even if it just says 'quit' you will still be eligible based on the information they will gather from you after you submit your claim.

- You should submit your claim within a certain time period after arriving in the U.S. - is that 2 weeks?

K1 - Can someone set out the procedure here in terms of when you become eligible? Is it

- Enter the U.S. on the K1 or K3 visa - you are eligible

- Once you get married (K1) you are no longer eligible until you get your EAD - then you must fax them a copy

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I found these websites also particularly helpful:

http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/ei/publ...tsidecanada.pdf

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/ei/types/regular.shtml

As well, you must apply within 30 days of leaving your job in Canada. If you apply after 30 days, you are not eligible.

I got married as soon as I arrived here and applied for EI after, and still got approved. I also told them I got married and that had no effect on whether I was eligible.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought a K-3 wasn't eligible until after they got their EAD? Someone who came in with a K-3 better let us know. I think they still apply, but no benefits prior to their EAD, I mean retro to EAD unlike a K-1. I think we need to add that the normal eligibility still applies. I don't know or remember how many hours it is now. It used to be 52 weeks, but it's handled in numbers of hours now. It doesn't have to be continuous employment either. I think David (from David and Amber) had a break in employment, but it wasn't long, so they took both employments. It's the number of hours in the LAST 52 weeks to see if you're eligible. It's not automatic.

The 30 days, like JillA advises is true. There have been people who have gone past the 30 days, but it's really not in the rules as allowable. I think the kind folks in Belleville have allowed it after personally speaking to some people.

You DON'T wait for your ROE to apply. You can send that all in later! I waited, was just about too late, and they told me to never wait, just send in or apply on-line, and just send in the ROE later. Your employer by law is supposed to send it to you within a certain amount of days...7? But we all know sometimes that just doesn't happen.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Summary of what we have so far:

The out of country EI office number is: 1-877-486-1650

The website for EI is here: http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/menu/eihome.shtml

The online application is here: http://www100.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/ae-ei/dem-ap...lish/home2.html

The info on out of country claims is here: http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/inf...de_canada.shtml

Out of country .pdf file about out of country claims: http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/ei/publ...tsidecanada.pdf

K1, K3 and CR1/IR1 visa applicants/green card holders are eligible

You must apply within 30 days of leaving your job

Apply even if you do not have your ROE yet, you can mail that in later

Applying:

- You can apply online

- Ideally your ROE will show your reason for quitting as - relocating to be with spouse/get married/etc - however even if it just says 'quit' you will still be eligible based on the information they will gather from you after you submit your claim.

K1 - Can someone set out the procedure here in terms of when you become eligible? is it:

- Enter the U.S. on the K1 - you are eligible

- Once you get married (K1) you are no longer eligible until you get your EAD - then you must fax them a copy?

K3 - when are you eligible? Anyone know?

Is it after you get your EAD?

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Not sure how much detail we wanted, but perhaps adding that one should leave their employment after receiving their visa. Doing so before may dis-entitle them from benefits. Also moving/activating their visa within a couple of weeks of quitting their employment is advisable to ensure they are still eligible for EI benefits.

(Not sure, but I think someone wrote that applying while inside of Canada was not advisable :unsure: )

There is a two week waiting period before payments begin.

After applying online, ensure that you mail the Belleville office a copy of your passport stamp and Visa, ROE (if you have it) and letter detailing any particulars that you believe may affect your ability to make a claim. Ensure that you keep a copy of the letter and documentation as they have been known to go missing. If the Belleville office is unable to match this information with your file, you can request to fax it directly to their office. EI will be unable to move forward on your claim until they have this information.

Typically claims take 28 days to review and make payment. If you are outside of the 28 days, call the EI Contact Centre and request a status of your claim. You can leave a detailed message which will be sent to the person reviewing your claim. Turn around time for a phone call is expected to be within 48 hours. 1 800 206-7218

Trailmix:

When I arrived in the US, I was still on vacation from my place of employment. My last official date with them was the 4th of July and I filed for EI on July 7 online. I received a letter from EI requesting further information - copy of my I-94. We were married on August 2, 2008. I then waited until the early part of September before being approved. I was approved from the date of the I-94 in my passport for 90 days (June 29 until September 27). I was approved for 35 weeks of benefits.

My EI file was put on hold until I could submit a copy of my EAD. My EAD was approved on November 26, and my EI benefits started again on November 30.

So the initial EI benefits were for 12 weeks, including the 2 week waiting period. When the claim was re-activated in November, I inquired as to the length of time I would be able to collect benefits. I was told that I would be eligible for an additional 24 weeks of benefits.

Hope this helps. I'm a K-1 Visa.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

The 30 days, like JillA advises is true. There have been people who have gone past the 30 days, but it's really not in the rules as allowable. I think the kind folks in Belleville have allowed it after personally speaking to some people.

I can only speak on behalf of K-1 people,.

Applying after being off work for 30 days is fine. But quitting your job 30 days before you leave Canada would be bad. They want you to work as close as possible to your move day. 1 week or so being a good amount of time to satisfy that.

VERY IMPORTANT: The amount on your ROE is not necessarily the amount of hours used to calculate the amount of weeks you're eligible for. They count back 1 year from the day you apply. That is why you want to apply for EI as soon as possible after having moved to the USA. I would recommend applying online 1 day after arriving if possible. If you wait a month or two to apply, the amount of weeks you're eligible for will drop. For some this means the difference between getting an EI claim at all.

The maximum amount of weeks is 36 weeks based on 1820 or more hours on an ROE.

The "work authorization needed" by EI is the I-94 card. It does not need to be stamped with the 90 day temp work authorization. An EAD or Green card will also suffice for "work authorization needed."

Apply for EI after crossing the border. People who have applied while still in Canada have had trouble getting it moved over (delays) or have been outright denied claims since they're still in Canada. Keep it simple. Apply once after arriving in the US.

I can only speak on behalf of K-1 people,.

Applying after being off work for 30 days is fine. But quitting your job 30 days before you leave Canada would be bad. They want you to work as close as possible to your move day. 1 week or so being a good amount of time to satisfy that.

VERY IMPORTANT: The amount on your ROE is not necessarily the amount of hours used to calculate the amount of weeks you're eligible for. They count back 1 year from the day you apply. That is why you want to apply for EI as soon as possible after having moved to the USA. I would recommend applying online 1 day after arriving if possible. If you wait a month or two to apply, the amount of weeks you're eligible for will drop. For some this means the difference between getting an EI claim at all.

The maximum amount of weeks is 36 weeks based on 1820 or more hours on an ROE.

The "work authorization needed" by EI is the I-94 card. It does not need to be stamped with the 90 day temp work authorization. An EAD or Green card will also suffice for "work authorization needed."

Apply for EI after crossing the border. People who have applied while still in Canada have had trouble getting it moved over (delays) or have been outright denied claims since they're still in Canada. Keep it simple. Apply once after arriving in the US.

Thanks for pointing that out. I agree. :thumbs:

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

As well if you do get denied (like I originally did) you can fight it! With your denial they include a letter on why you were denied and what your options to contest it are. As I recall one has 3 options:

1) Attend the hearing in person (maybe fine if your in Canada)

2) Attend via phone

3) Write a detailed statement

I went with option #3 and won! I was very specific in my response, believe it was 2 pages worth!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Good info here, I think this is a really good start, thanks all for helping out with this!

Thanks as always for putting this on a thread, AND organizing it. You're our Wikigirl! :thumbs::lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
Good info here, I think this is a really good start, thanks all for helping out with this!

Thanks as always for putting this on a thread, AND organizing it. You're our Wikigirl! :thumbs::lol:

np!

So I started the page, just have the bare essentials on there now and will add this other info - at some point! Or if someone else feels like editing, go for it.

Also linked to this page, obviously, from the main Canada wiki page

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/...ting_to_the_U.S.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.