thomady

visa ready for august wedding?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So...my british fiance and I finished compiling our I-129F packet, and had it looked over by a lawyer, who says it looks flawless. I'm sending it in on the 15th (payday). One little issue...

We've got this whole wedding planned for August with people buying plane tickets, beachhouse booked, etc. I naively assumed a visa took 6 months maximum, but now I'm reading through the posts flipping out!

What are the odds it will go through in time? I don't even want to think of what to do if it fails...

Have a mock ceremony, send him back, and have a civil wedding later? Or just get married anyway?

Edited by thomady

Merrady

Take a look at the immigration timelines link at the top of the page. The stats there might be helpful. Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

average time, according to the timelines listed on the links above, are 220 days...so roughly 7.5 - 8 months. But it may take longer or it may get through quickly. It looks like it'll be tight. Don't just 'get married anyway' if your fiance visa is not issued yet because it invalidates your petition and you'll have to apply again. Plus, it will, from what I hear, be increasingly difficult for your fiancee to travel to see you once the paper work is filed.

Good luck and welcome to the journey!

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline
average time, according to the timelines listed on the links above, are 220 days...so roughly 7.5 - 8 months. But it may take longer or it may get through quickly. It looks like it'll be tight. Don't just 'get married anyway' if your fiance visa is not issued yet because it invalidates your petition and you'll have to apply again. Plus, it will, from what I hear, be increasingly difficult for your fiancee to travel to see you once the paper work is filed.

I know he's planning a visit in April or May...but my question was more along the lines of having the party anyway since everything is booked, and a sort of mock ceremony, then sending him back, therefore not breaking any rules.

Either way..it's too early to panic about it. I suppose if it comes down to the wire, we'll consult the lawyer who helped look over everything and see what he says.

Merrady

I know he's planning a visit in April or May...but my question was more along the lines of having the party anyway since everything is booked, and a sort of mock ceremony, then sending him back, therefore not breaking any rules.

Either way..it's too early to panic about it. I suppose if it comes down to the wire, we'll consult the lawyer who helped look over everything and see what he says.

Unfortunately your lawyer will be able to do nothing to expedite your case. It's a waiting game sadly. Currently, if you are filing at vermont, it is taking a long time to process app's. California is a lot shorter. Where you file is dependent on the state that the petitioner lives in.

Like you suggested though, a mock wedding would be nice to go through.

Provided your fiancee has no problems on arrival into the states.

When he does come to visit you, tell him to volunteer honest but sparse information about why he is visiting. A couple of people on here have been denied entry at POE because they were a little to open and honest about their reasons for visiting (I'm here to see my fiance is one that raises flags ;)) I always go with.....I'm here on vacation.

I hope your visa process goes smoothly......welcome to VJ!

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Timeline

We filed last October and the way VSC is going at the moment I'm not expecting an interview until about June. You can check the timelines to see the current processing times.

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list...ll&dfile=No

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.