Danno

Phelps still wants to protest Soldiers funerals

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
In my mind this supercedes freedom of speech... if you want to protest do it at the proper place & time (a funeral is NOT the appropriate forum for politics).

150% disagreed. We live in a free society, and that means having to put up with douche-baggery sometimes. You can't force someone to be respectful, even when it's clearly the appropriate thing to do.

Well I'm a service member & this topic is very personal to me. If someone did this at a buddy's funeral I would kick the living bejesus out of every single protester. Freedom of speech has limits & as far as I'm concerned this crosses the line.

As far I'm concerned - its certainly innappropriate and offensive. But as far as the law goes, they're within their rights. If you got into a fight at the funeral - you'd be arrested. They wouldn't be.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Well, at my funeral, I'm having the Honor Guard point their rifles in Phelps et al's direction ( with live ammo).

Edited by tmma

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Well, at my funeral, I'm having the Honor Guard point their rifles in Phelps et al's direction ( with live ammo).

in that case, i'd recommend the salute with cannons loaded with wp.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
In my mind this supercedes freedom of speech... if you want to protest do it at the proper place & time (a funeral is NOT the appropriate forum for politics).

150% disagreed. We live in a free society, and that means having to put up with douche-baggery sometimes. You can't force someone to be respectful, even when it's clearly the appropriate thing to do.

Well I'm a service member & this topic is very personal to me. If someone did this at a buddy's funeral I would kick the living bejesus out of every single protester. Freedom of speech has limits & as far as I'm concerned this crosses the line.

As far I'm concerned - its certainly innappropriate and offensive. But as far as the law goes, they're within their rights. If you got into a fight at the funeral - you'd be arrested. They wouldn't be.

You are right... and I would sit in jail with a smile on my face while the protesters lie in hospital beds wondering if it was worth it (it would be for me).

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

How about the nuclear gun from the other post :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Timeline

You are right... and I would sit in jail with a smile on my face while the protesters lie in hospital beds wondering if it was worth it (it would be for me).

and your friends' family will always remember how you contributed to the spectacle of ruining a moment of remembrance for their son.

I mean, I agree with you for the most part --- the Phelpazoids are freaks. But the way you would respond says a lot about you, not about them. Peace out.

Timeline

and your friends' family will always remember how you contributed to the spectacle of ruining a moment of remembrance for their son.

I mean, I agree with you for the most part --- the Phelpazoids are freaks. But the way you would respond says a lot about you, not about them. Peace out.

Hopefully I will never have to do this... chances are I won't. However I'm guessing that at some point a similar situation may occur & if it does I will feel sorry for the family & won't have an ounce of remorse for what happened to the protesters. I would also hope that a jury would slap the attacker on the wrist for his actions, seeing that he did the wrong thing for the right reasons.

Timeline
Get there before the protesters arrive, note where they're parking, and while they're off protesting, drop a little sugar bomb in their gas tanks.

You don't have to go to jail to get even. :)

How about mines with exploding dog #######?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
it was a lovely day in the neighborhood..until that chopf##k and his church of hate showed up

Mr. Rogers would encourage Mr. Phelps to talk about those bad feelings of his and perhaps he'd like to try a little make believe. RIP Fred (F):(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
The ACLU is at it again.

It's against the law to be drunk in public but disturbing the peace of a funeral is covered by a constitutional right.

Posted on Thu, Jan. 08, 2009

Shirley Phelps-Roper sues St. Joseph over ordinance banning protests at soldiers’ funerals

By MARK MORRIS

The Kansas City Star

The daughter of Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps has sued the city of St. Joseph over its ordinance banning protests at soldiers’ funerals.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, asks a judge to declare the ordinance and its enforcement unconstitutional.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Eastern Missouri filed the suit on behalf of Shirley Phelps-Roper. She said the suit is the only such action pending against a municipality in the country, although many others have passed similar laws.

“They are standing the shoes of municipalities all over this country,” Phelps-Roper said.

Phelps-Roper is pursuing a similar suit against the state of Missouri. On Oct. 31, a three-judge panel of the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that members of the Topeka-based church could picket soldiers’ funerals in Missouri. A lower court earlier had upheld the constitutionality of Missouri’s laws banning such protests.

Westboro church members — who believe that God is punishing America for tolerating homosexuality, abortion and divorce — have complained that such laws violate their freedom of speech. They have drawn harsh criticism across the country for picketing at funerals of servicemen and servicewomen.

A spokeswoman for City Attorney Lisa Robertson said St. Joseph had not yet been served with the suit and declined to comment.

Danno you and I disagree on many issues, but I find it disgusting when people protest at a military service member's funeral (soldier technically refers to Army personnel only). The service member died serving his/her country & whether you agree or disagree with our government's political decisions the service member should not be disrespected in such a manner. In my mind this supercedes freedom of speech... if you want to protest do it at the proper place & time (a funeral is NOT the appropriate forum for politics).

I'm not sure if you are under the impression that I agree with these cruel b_stards?

I am the one who thought the news story of how the ACLU, helping them overturn a local ordinance was both interesting and indicative of the ACLU.

I disagree with PDaniels, I believe there is plenty of precedent out-lawing such things, everything from harassment laws to school zone laws.

There is no RIGHT which is not subject to TIME PLACE and MANOR restrictions.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
It's interesting how just a very few people can gain so much attention by merely doing outlandish things.

We see this in this case as well as "artists" who have little talent beyond shock, and others who shtick is working the race angle.

This is the result of "visual" media. Visual media thrives not so much on meaningful stories but on captivating photos or video.

I'm not trying to change the subject, but what you just said can be applied to your girl Coulter.

While I would agree she does sometimes say outlandish things......

she doens't "MERELY" do that..... Thats where the difference is.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Timeline

The Phelps clan all live in a reasonably small "compound" of houses on a few city blocks. It would be a shame if a rogue lightning bolt ignited their neighbourhood.....

Edited by PlatyPius
Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

or maybe an old fashioned cannon salute ... black powder loaded behind grapeshot or canister shot