mikeymissesher

will my past felony charge affect my fiance visa?plz hlp

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i got my noa1 on 5-12-08 and have been waiting since then with no responce . i called USCIS again today and they said that they are doing the backround / security checks etc. , i am wondering if possibly my past criminal record is what is taking so long to get a responce or approval. back in 2001 i got arrested for a burglary and spent a little over 2 years in prison , and since i got out i have been a productive member of society with no problems at all with the law. I dont have any criminal record like domestic violence or hurting any one ect. just that theft charge . i heard it was ok as long as you dont have a charge of hurting women , which i would never due of course! me and my Fiance have both never been married before , so i know that is not delaying anything. Please let me know what you think. thanks again.

Filed: Timeline

Since it has been over 5 years you have nothing to worry about as long as this is the only crime you have committed within this time frame. If you did this in 2006 or 2007 you would not be eligible. Be glad it is over 5 years, and as long as this is the only thing you will be fine. ;) Good luck.

I just work Tier I (civilian) customer service for USCIS and have been in many types of scenarios over the years. I am filled with Immigration knowledge.

I believe I can help make everyones process simpler by helping out, even if its something small like a forum

So, thats me. If you need help I may be able to assist feel free to PM me if I haven't seen your post yet.

USCIS Customer Service: 1 800 375 5283 (M-F 8AM-6PM in all US Timezones including territories)

In any case, I may be around from time to time. I understand the frustration that you guys go through over something that should be so much simpler.

Just to add, this crime is considered a crime involving "moral turpitude" and can cause delays in background checks. So you may have to wait longer if any future background/security checks are required with this or any new applications you file.

Edited by USCIS CSR

I just work Tier I (civilian) customer service for USCIS and have been in many types of scenarios over the years. I am filled with Immigration knowledge.

I believe I can help make everyones process simpler by helping out, even if its something small like a forum

So, thats me. If you need help I may be able to assist feel free to PM me if I haven't seen your post yet.

USCIS Customer Service: 1 800 375 5283 (M-F 8AM-6PM in all US Timezones including territories)

In any case, I may be around from time to time. I understand the frustration that you guys go through over something that should be so much simpler.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the OP is the USC ( petitioner) this will not have an affect on the petition. If the OP is the beneficiary there is a possibility of the petition being denied.

There are actual felons (USC) in prison whos petitions have been approved.

Yes, this could cause a flag and small delay but nothing further.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have searched everywhere for this answer. I (USC/petitioner) actually got my NOA 2 this week after a felony conviction in 10/03 does this mean I've passed the point where my application will be denied based on past convictions?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you have received the approval of the I-129f petition that you filed, then yes, you have 'passed'. The application process now moves on to your fiancee's home country and she will be invited to apply for the K-1 visa. So far so good.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.