ivy88

quick question

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I first came to the U.S as a tourist about ten years ago with my mom and then we filed for Assylum. Our Assylum case was denied on Nov 25 and they gave us voluntary departure. Me and my husband had been saving to get married towards the end of the year but decided to do it earlier to speed things up. We've been together for over 2 yrs now and we want to make sure we do everything right so that I won't have to leave again. Im leaving the country before the 60 days are up because I don't want to break any laws and get the 10 yr ban.

My question is, has anyone here gone through this process after they have been issued voluntary departure or a deportation order? Will immigration automatically deny the petition or wil they at least give us a chance to prove is a bona fide marriage?

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

12-21-2008: Marriage

01:02:2009: I-130 Sent

01-16-2009: 130 NOA1

03-22-2009: 130 NOA2

NVC

03-30-2009: NVC received file

04-03-2009: NVC assigned case number

04-07-2009: Received bill

04-08-2009: Paid bills online

04-09-2009: Status shows paid for both bills

05-01-2009: Sent DS-230 and Affidavit of Support (Overnight Delivery) Lawyer took his time to fill everything out and delayed our process.

05-05-2009: NVC received package

05-11-2009: RFE thanks to the lawyer again and his assistant.

05-12-2009: RFE package sent to NVC

05-14-2009: NVC received RFE package

05-27-2009: Case finally complete!

K3 Visa

12-21-2009: Marriage

01-28-2009: I-129 Sent

01-31-2009: I-129 NOA1

03-22-2009: I-129 NOA 2

03-30-2009: File sent to the embassy

I first came to the U.S as a tourist about ten years ago with my mom and then we filed for Assylum. Our Assylum case was denied on Nov 25 and they gave us voluntary departure. Me and my husband had been saving to get married towards the end of the year but decided to do it earlier to speed things up. We've been together for over 2 yrs now and we want to make sure we do everything right so that I won't have to leave again. Im leaving the country before the 60 days are up because I don't want to break any laws and get the 10 yr ban.

My question is, has anyone here gone through this process after they have been issued voluntary departure or a deportation order? Will immigration automatically deny the petition or wil they at least give us a chance to prove is a bona fide marriage?

Best thing to call for info but I don't think it would hurt to tryto apply. Best of luck.

Well, I have seen some people with "voluntary departure" issues have no problems getting a petition, however, in your case, you have that asylum issue.

USCIS can consider that you got married just to stay in the US since you were not granted Asylum.

You will probably need a lawyer that is skilled in this type of case.

I would think if you have evidence of your relationship with the USC, and after two years that should not be a problem, and that would help your case.

I am surprised they took 10 years to decide your case.... :blink:

Good luck!

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for your replies. Yes the assylum case took forever to get resolved I was surprised too as I had heard that it wouldn't take so long. I have been with my husband for a little over two years and we even went to high school together so we have plenty of evidence that it is a bonafide marriage since we've known each other for so long. I'm just scared they might not even give us a chance to prove it. :(

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

12-21-2008: Marriage

01:02:2009: I-130 Sent

01-16-2009: 130 NOA1

03-22-2009: 130 NOA2

NVC

03-30-2009: NVC received file

04-03-2009: NVC assigned case number

04-07-2009: Received bill

04-08-2009: Paid bills online

04-09-2009: Status shows paid for both bills

05-01-2009: Sent DS-230 and Affidavit of Support (Overnight Delivery) Lawyer took his time to fill everything out and delayed our process.

05-05-2009: NVC received package

05-11-2009: RFE thanks to the lawyer again and his assistant.

05-12-2009: RFE package sent to NVC

05-14-2009: NVC received RFE package

05-27-2009: Case finally complete!

K3 Visa

12-21-2009: Marriage

01-28-2009: I-129 Sent

01-31-2009: I-129 NOA1

03-22-2009: I-129 NOA 2

03-30-2009: File sent to the embassy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.