camifree

Affidavit of Support Vs. Welfare

5 posts in this topic

I left my husband almost a year ago; I did not feel safe and he was not willing to help to improve our condiitons. Long story.

The point is that I was the one who had to leave because he would not, and for my mental sake, I packed my stuff and left. I am now in my country, but I have to go back to the US to see what I will do with my things (I left almost everything there) and to do all the divorce process.

Now, because I have NOTHING (even if I started a job, I have nowhere to stay) I thought about filing for welfare or some government temporary financial help. Someone told me that it would be a mess because of the affidavit of support my USC husband signed when we got my K1 visa. I do not love him anymore, but I do not want to get him in trouble either... do you think that is true?

Honestly, I am very scared and I do not want to go back. Here I am with my family, my friends and it is my country after all. I feel safe here, in spite of Chávez. I only went to the US for him; otherwise, I am not interested in living there whatsoever :( I have a return ticket for Tuesday, but I get sick every time I think about that trip. Something inside tells me (screams, actually) not to go. Today is one of those days when I wish I did not exist at all.

LIFE IS WHAT WE MAKE IT (E. Dickinson)

PREFIERO SER CABEZA DE RATÓN QUE COLA DE LEÓN.

L'HOMME EST CE QU'IL SE FAIT (J.P. Sartre)

ON NE NAÎT PAS FEMME; ON LE DEVIENT (S. De Beauvoir)

ALEA IACTA EST (I. Caesar)

Afortunado aquel

Who understands

Le langage secret

Das estrelas,

Der blumen

Et delle cose mute

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

I can understand how you feel. It is a sad state of affairs.

Many spouses who are victims like you prefer to have nothing whatsoever to do with their former spouse -- not to get involved in court over a divorce, etc. etc. Is there a friend who can ship your more important belongings to you?

Is your green card still valid? I notice you got it two years ago, so it should have expired. If it is not valid, then how would you enter the U.S.?

Let's suppose you have a valid green card. As a legal permanent resident, you would have some possible claim on government benefits (including but not limited to Medicaid, i.e., nearly free medical and prescription services), possibly some assistance in paying your utility bills, but there would be no cash for you to live on. But he will end up being billed for these services.

In filing for divorce, there are Legal Aid agencies in most cities and you might qualify for free legal services to get this process started. In the divorce decree, he could be required to provide alimony, but on the other hand you are the one who abandoned him so that is a factor in his favor.

Good luck.

Go with that voice that says "don't go..."

Your things left in the US are just material items, you don't need them.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but if you don't want to live in the US, you should not try to claim welfare.

Stay with your friends and family and move on.

Not sure how you will handle the divorce - a lawyer would tell you what you can do.

He could claim you abandoned him, and since you left the country, and it appears your green card is expired, that would work against you.

Were you gone from the US for a whole year?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Oh - to add:

Five ways to remove I-864 sponsorship are:

1. Sponsored immigrant dies.

2. Sponsor dies.

3. Immigrant works and is credited with 40 quarters of work (10 Years)

4. Immigrant leaves the USA and abandons the green-card.

5. Immigrant naturalizes and becomes a US citizen.

If your green card is indeed expired, and you if you left for a year, your husband is no longer responsible for your sponsorship.

You should contact a lawyer for this and the divorce issue in your country.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Thank you guys!

My GC is valid. I was approved for the removal of conditions months ago, and my passport was stamped until I get the new card... The stamp is valid for one year. I only left the country to spend the holidays with my family.

I'll try to find out those agencies for Legal Aid that Old Dominion mentioned (thanks!). I have to go anyway because my things are in a storage unit... they're not too many, but they are very important for me (books, documents, etc). Plus, I have a couple of debts (telephone and credit card) I have to take care of.

I've been talking to my dad, and he tells me that the best thing to do is to confront that situation as soon as possible, and once the divorce is finalized, that I'll be able to do whatever I want. But, he says, if I go and I see that everything is a mess (before the divorce), that he will buy my ticket to come back to Venezuela. Isn't he sweet?

Thank you for answering my questions, guys (F)

LIFE IS WHAT WE MAKE IT (E. Dickinson)

PREFIERO SER CABEZA DE RATÓN QUE COLA DE LEÓN.

L'HOMME EST CE QU'IL SE FAIT (J.P. Sartre)

ON NE NAÎT PAS FEMME; ON LE DEVIENT (S. De Beauvoir)

ALEA IACTA EST (I. Caesar)

Afortunado aquel

Who understands

Le langage secret

Das estrelas,

Der blumen

Et delle cose mute

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.