lord_el_zilcho

Is a K-1 visa required for this situation?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Howdy Y'all,

I'm due to marry my fiance in Texas later this year. I was issued with an L1 visa a little over a year ago as I was taking part in an inter-company transfer to Houston where I was based for 12 months. I'm not based in the US but I am still employed by the company who sent me to Houston and my L1 still has almost 2 years left before it expires.

My question is this, in order to marry my fiance and apply for the AOS will I require a K-1 visa or will I be able to do this using my existing L-1 visa?

Thanks for any help answering this!!! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I believe the L-1 is a dual intent visa so you could enter the USA marry and adjust status.

Start with this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Moving to AOS from Visitors/ WORK/ and student visa forum.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline
Howdy Y'all,

I'm due to marry my fiance in Texas later this year. I was issued with an L1 visa a little over a year ago as I was taking part in an inter-company transfer to Houston where I was based for 12 months. I'm not based in the US but I am still employed by the company who sent me to Houston and my L1 still has almost 2 years left before it expires.

My question is this, in order to marry my fiance and apply for the AOS will I require a K-1 visa or will I be able to do this using my existing L-1 visa?

Thanks for any help answering this!!! :thumbs:

Since you mentioned "I'm not based in the US", I assume you are already back to your home country and in that case, I may be wrong, but I think it depends on whether you will be still employed with the company who sent you to Huston AT THE TIME you will enter to the U.S. to get married.

If you will again work for the U.S. office of your company (say Texas branch, if they have) you will enter the U.S. with dual intent ((i) to work under L1 visa and (ii) to stay permanently)), which is OK. But if you quit the company then come to the U.S., you will enter the U.S. for the sole purpose of staying here permanently. So, in case of latter, I think you better obtain K-visa to avoid commiting visa fraud.

Edited by Mint518

AOS from H1B

[AOS Timeline of Dec.'08 Filers], [JV Thread for Dec.'08 AOS Filers]

12-17-08: I-130/I-485/I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

12-18-08: I-130/I-485/I-765 delivered

12-29-08: Received 3 NOAs (dated 12-24-2008)

12-29-08: Checks cashed

1-5-09: Received Biometric appt. notice (dated 12-30-2008)

1-20-09: Biometric done

2-17-09: Received interview appt. letter (dated 2-12-2009)

3-5-09: Received EAD (dated 2-28-2009)

4-6-09: AOS Intervew @NYC

4-13-09: Received welcome letter (dated 4-8-09)

4-18-09: Received GC (dated 4-13-08)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.