juliephowton

Contact and vacation rules in the Egyptian military

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi there

This is all new to me because as of 3 days ago my fiance went into the Egyptian Military for 13 months. I understand for the first 45 days it is training and they are not allowed any contact with the outside world, but does anyone know if they can contact you after that or when do they get vacation? I have heard that they get a week after the 45 days but I'm not sure how true that is.

If anyone has information on this who has experienced it with their partners already or is currently going through it, please could you let me know.

Any info will be helpful.

Thanks

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Hi there

This is all new to me because as of 3 days ago my fiance went into the Egyptian Military for 13 months. I understand for the first 45 days it is training and they are not allowed any contact with the outside world, but does anyone know if they can contact you after that or when do they get vacation? I have heard that they get a week after the 45 days but I'm not sure how true that is.

If anyone has information on this who has experienced it with their partners already or is currently going through it, please could you let me know.

Thanks

You should probably get in touch with Olivia about this. She can help you as her husband is in Egyptian Mil right now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

There are several of us on here that are going through what you're going through. My Husband has been in the Egyptian Military since Jan. 08 and his release date is April 30, 2009. They typically get a week break every month. However the week break is at the discretion of the officers. Sometimes they shorten that week break to 48 hrs or 24 hrs, and sometimes they let them have the whole break or several days of the break.

And yes they are allowed to contact you after that. Many of them have cell phones and call home often. With a blackberry style phone they can access internet services that allow them to chat with you and stay in touch 24/7 if they have electricity at their base to charge the battery. Sometimes other ppl steal the charger and you have to wait until their next break when they can get a new one.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

There are several of us on here that are going through what you're going through. My Husband has been in the Egyptian Military since Jan. 08 and his release date is April 30, 2009. They typically get a week break every month. However the week break is at the discretion of the officers. Sometimes they shorten that week break to 48 hrs or 24 hrs, and sometimes they let them have the whole break or several days of the break.

And yes they are allowed to contact you after that. Many of them have cell phones and call home often. With a blackberry style phone they can access internet services that allow them to chat with you and stay in touch 24/7 if they have electricity at their base to charge the battery. Sometimes other ppl steal the charger and you have to wait until their next break when they can get a new one.

Thanks ever so much for that, that's put my mind at rest a little. Its great to talk to someone who is also experiencing it. So I take it they won't know till last minute when they will get their break each month?

Thanks ever so much for that, that's put my mind at rest a little. Its great to talk to someone who is also experiencing it. So I take it they won't know till last minute when they will get their break each month?

Timeline

Usually they will know a few days before their break when the officers sign their official break papers which says for how long their leave is. They work 21 days straight so you can count about every 21 days from his original break and know about when he would get his breaks each month.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Usually they will know a few days before their break when the officers sign their official break papers which says for how long their leave is. They work 21 days straight so you can count about every 21 days from his original break and know about when he would get his breaks each month.

And is that the same for the 45 days - i.e counting the 45 days then they will get a break?

Timeline

And is that the same for the 45 days - i.e counting the 45 days then they will get a break?

Yes he will get a break after that. Also they get their holidays as break but depending on where they are stationed and the amount of people at that base they may split up the break between groups. Like one group gets the first set of days of EID and then another group gets the last set of days of EID. Holiday breaks are always nice surprises but I have to remember I have to share my time with his friends and family as well. Usually around the Holiday breaks he'll spend the most time with his friends and family and yours may do the same.

Edited by Olivia*

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Yes he will get a break after that. Also they get their holidays as break but depending on where they are stationed and the amount of people at that base they may split up the break between groups. Like one group gets the first set of days of EID and then another group gets the last set of days of EID. Holiday breaks are always nice surprises but I have to remember I have to share my time with his friends and family as well. Usually around the Holiday breaks he'll spend the most time with his friends and family and yours may do the same.

So just to confirm they all get a break straight after the 45 days, and then future breaks may get split between groups depending on where they are based etc but usually happens once a month or so. I have got that right haven't I? Just trying to make sure. For some reason I'm driving myself mad today, its just getting used to it all.

I take it you're not in Egypt at the moment as it says you will be there in May? How do you get to see your husband when he gets a break? Yeah Hassan said that he will want to see everyone during these breaks, so will also have to learn how to share him for this year. All I want is contact with him, that's what I'm finding hard at the moment. But I know 45 days have to pass first. Its just getting used to it all.

So just to confirm they all get a break straight after the 45 days, and then future breaks may get split between groups depending on where they are based etc but usually happens once a month or so. I have got that right haven't I? Just trying to make sure. For some reason I'm driving myself mad today, its just getting used to it all.

I take it you're not in Egypt at the moment as it says you will be there in May? How do you get to see your husband when he gets a break? Yeah Hassan said that he will want to see everyone during these breaks, so will also have to learn how to share him for this year. All I want is contact with him, that's what I'm finding hard at the moment. But I know 45 days have to pass first. Its just getting used to it all.

just been reading your posts when your husband first went to the military. You sounded just like I am now, driving myself crazy, not knowing what is going on. So thank you once again for helping me here. When did it get easier for you? I think that first point of contact will make it better for me (I hope).

Timeline

just been reading your posts when your husband first went to the military. You sounded just like I am now, driving myself crazy, not knowing what is going on. So thank you once again for helping me here. When did it get easier for you? I think that first point of contact will make it better for me (I hope).

It got easier a few months ago when he got his blackberry style phone and he could chat with me nearly everyday on it just like before.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

It got easier a few months ago when he got his blackberry style phone and he could chat with me nearly everyday on it just like before.

That does sound like a good idea. So is there anything else you can advise me on about the military that could be useful to me over the next year? I think once I get that first contact from him I will be happier.

Timeline

That does sound like a good idea. So is there anything else you can advise me on about the military that could be useful to me over the next year? I think once I get that first contact from him I will be happier.

I can't think of anything else. Just tell him don't even think about going to Gaza if he is given and opportunity to volunteer for it. I didn't think I had to say that before but I guess I should have said something cos now Waleed is going there and we have four months left till his release! Anyways...enough about that. I wish you the best and I can't think of anything else really. If you have a facebook you can add me. Send me a pm and I'll give ya my info. I'm thinking to start a support group for foreign women married to Egyptian Men who get recruited into the military. There is about five or more of us that I know of and it would be good if we could all talk and compare.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi All:

like what happened to me when i went to military they asked me if im married to foreign girl and i said yes, and now theyre look about if i should be in militrey or not they went to make sure its real .

so Olivia did they ask your husband about it before he went to militrey or not, and when he went there did you and him were wife and husband ? because like what i heard from ppl in miltitrey they cant let who married to foreign woman be in militrey.

Thanks

Consulate : Egypt

Visit Egypt : 2008-06-25

Marriage : 2008-10-13

I-130 Sent : 2009-07-15

Approved : 2009-07-15 Alhamdulilah

Packet 3 Received : 2009-07-21

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-08-04

Packet 4 Received : 2009-08-15

Interview Date : 2009-08-24 APPROVED with no AP

Visa Received : 2009-08-28

Entry into the USA : 2009-10-05 Insha Allah

Timeline
Hi All:

like what happened to me when i went to military they asked me if im married to foreign girl and i said yes, and now theyre look about if i should be in militrey or not they went to make sure its real .

so Olivia did they ask your husband about it before he went to militrey or not, and when he went there did you and him were wife and husband ? because like what i heard from ppl in miltitrey they cant let who married to foreign woman be in militrey.

Thanks

Yes we were married for a year already when they took him. We had the Ministry of Marriage wedding. For the year prior to them taking him the military intelligence gave him monthly interviews and some months weekly interviews. We don't know what that was all for or why it took them a year? What it came down to is they take all Doctors. He was rounded up with 700 other Doctors at the same time. But they do in fact take Egyptian males married to foreign women and there is no more loop holes like before. The only ones that are getting out (and this is on the rare occasion) are the men who are married to foreign women and who have high school educations or less so. They are not released until after they have had the 45 days in lock down training and the pants scared off out of them! The one case that I know right now where the couple were orfi married the guy was released after the lock down training still does not have the official release papers from the military. He is in a holding pattern. He can not move forward with his visa, and the military can call him back anytime for his 3 years service. So...?

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hi there

Thanks

You should probably get in touch with Olivia about this. She can help you as her husband is in Egyptian Mil right now.

My husband is being in military for 1 year and 7 months(9 more months to go). He is getting his vacation every month for 10 days(sometimes more). Since his military, i visited him 2 times(just came back a month ago,was there for 39 days). Every time i was there he got longer vacation, as same as i was there. My hubby is smart and he started to have a connection with an officers in there from the begin, that is how he is getting a little better treatment. Also he has a cellphone. I'm calling him every two days and texting eachother every day. it is very hard but there is nothing we can do. I wish you and other couples all the best.

06/29/2006-Met online(skype), start talking every day(5-6 hours a day)

07/01/2006 became bf & gf.

12/29/2006-flew to Egypt, met for the first time(happy time

01/06/2007-got married

01/15/2007- Flew back to Chicago(sad)

02/?/2007- hubby applied for Egyptian military

06/04/2007-2nd trip to see my love

06/07/2007-our honey moon in Sharm(7 amazing days)

06/19/2007-supposed to go back to USA, but call sick at work and got 12 more extra days.

08/?/2007- my honey went to serve for 2 years & 2 months(very-very sad)

01/30/2008-3rd trip to Egypt

02/20/2008-flew back

12/03/2008-4th trip to see my love

12/20/2008-found out than i'm pregnant(hubby is so happy,i'm surprised)

01/09/2009-left my love

02/10/2009-sent CR-1/IR-1

02/11/2009-reseived at Chicago

02/17/2009-moved to California Service Center

02/17/2009-check cashed

02/19/2009-NOA1 resived my mail

02/19/2009-touched

03/04/2009-touched

03/19/2009-approved

03/24/2009-received approval letter

04/27/2009-paid fee $70.00 on line

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.