jtracc

i-129f petition filed from canada. lots of questions.

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay hey guys,

Me and my fiance met 3 years ago at a wedding. Let me tell you now that i am duel citizen i am american and canadian. I was born in Canada, but moved to the US when i was 3 with my parents. My mom is american my dad is canadian. so.. me and my fiance are now living in canada ontario together (i moved here in september 08). i am assembling the i-129f package and getting ready to send to the appropriate service center (which is vermont, she used to live in the state of florida). however i am having some trouble understanding a few things.

1) Will we have any problems filing the petition from canada?

2) On the i-129f form it ask's me how i am a citizen of the USA. its PART A question 10. "My citizenship was acquired through.." i selected parents. then it asks "Have you obtained a certificate of citizenship in your name?" all I have is my birth certificate abroad which is a form called fs-545. in the i129f directions it says to submit fs-240 if born abroad, but i dont have that form, all i have the fs-545 form. can i use the fs-545? also it says give certificate number and date and place it was issued, but the fs-545 does not have a certificate number on it? any information on that need help about that question BIG TIME.

those are my first two questions i have rite now. i have more but i will wait for answers on these two. please i need help, i dont want to hire a lawyer and the toll free phone numbers available for help i cant use in canada, they do not work. please any help.

Nicole.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Please read the guides, they are very helpful with everything step by step.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Okay hey guys,

Me and my fiance met 3 years ago at a wedding. Let me tell you now that i am duel citizen i am american and canadian. I was born in Canada, but moved to the US when i was 3 with my parents. My mom is american my dad is canadian. so.. me and my fiance are now living in canada ontario together (i moved here in september 08). i am assembling the i-129f package and getting ready to send to the appropriate service center (which is vermont, she used to live in the state of florida). however i am having some trouble understanding a few things.

1) Will we have any problems filing the petition from canada?

2) On the i-129f form it ask's me how i am a citizen of the USA. its PART A question 10. "My citizenship was acquired through.." i selected parents. then it asks "Have you obtained a certificate of citizenship in your name?" all I have is my birth certificate abroad which is a form called fs-545. in the i129f directions it says to submit fs-240 if born abroad, but i dont have that form, all i have the fs-545 form. can i use the fs-545? also it says give certificate number and date and place it was issued, but the fs-545 does not have a certificate number on it? any information on that need help about that question BIG TIME.

those are my first two questions i have rite now. i have more but i will wait for answers on these two. please i need help, i dont want to hire a lawyer and the toll free phone numbers available for help i cant use in canada, they do not work. please any help.

Nicole.

Hi Nicole and welcome to VJ!

You will not have any problem filing the petition from Canada, it is perfectly ok to do this.

As for the FS-545 - I understand, from looking it up, that 'before November 1, 1990, consulates also issued Form FS-545 along with the prior version of the FS-240. In 1990, U.S. consulates ceased to issue Form FS-545'

I see no reason why they would not accept your FS-545 - it is their document, the one they were issuing for births abroad. An alternative, of course, would be for you to get a U.S. passport and use that instead - but as I said, I think your FS-545 will be fine.

As it has no certificate number, I would just note this on the I-129F and attach a sheet stating that your document has no certificate number however you are attaching a copy.

Oh and you may want to visit the Canada forum here on VJ as well:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93

3. What Documents Do You Need to Show That You Are a U.S. Citizen?

A. If you were born in the United States, give USCIS a copy, front and back, of your birth certificate.

1. Your original Certificate of Citizenship, or

2. Your Form FS-240 (Report of Birth Abroad of a United States Citizen).

D. In place of any of the above, you may give USCIS a copy of your valid, unexpired U.S. passport issued with a validity period of at least five years. You must submit copies of all pages in the passport.

E. If you do not have any of the above and were born in the United States, see Item 4, What If a Document Is Not Available.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.