emmaline_g

when to file the papers..before or after he goes home?

4 posts in this topic

Hi, please set me straight!

I'm the American and my fiance's Albanian. I met him in the UK where he is currently living "without papers." I have been told again and again that's not a problem.

We are planning to go in Albania in the summer, where he's going to wait during the visa process. He won't return to the UK. My question is can I file the papers a couple months before we go, or do I have to wait until he is in his home country?

An immigration attorney SUGGESTED (but didn't say directly) that the only way I can prove we "met" in person is by showing us in Albania. I have lots of pictures, boarding passes, tickets, stamps that show we've met in the UK lots of times (I think 5 or 6 times now), but apparently they don't prove anything because of my bf's illegal status in that country?

help please, if you can

thank you ;)

Filed for removal of conditions: April 26, 2012

NOA: April 30, 2012 (received May 10, 2012)

Biometrics: June 8, 2012

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi, please set me straight!

I'm the American and my fiance's Albanian. I met him in the UK where he is currently living "without papers." I have been told again and again that's not a problem.

We are planning to go in Albania in the summer, where he's going to wait during the visa process. He won't return to the UK. My question is can I file the papers a couple months before we go, or do I have to wait until he is in his home country?

An immigration attorney SUGGESTED (but didn't say directly) that the only way I can prove we "met" in person is by showing us in Albania. I have lots of pictures, boarding passes, tickets, stamps that show we've met in the UK lots of times (I think 5 or 6 times now), but apparently they don't prove anything because of my bf's illegal status in that country?

help please, if you can

thank you ;)

You would need evidence you were both together in the UK, whether he's legal or not. You could use a proof of life type picture, like a close-up of the two of you holding a London newspaper with the date visible or a combination of the picture of the two of you with the paper and a separate close-up of the paper, if needed. USCIS doesn't care about your boyfriend's status in the UK but they do care that he's your fiance, not just your boyfriend.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

You would need evidence you were both together in the UK, whether he's legal or not. You could use a proof of life type picture, like a close-up of the two of you holding a London newspaper with the date visible or a combination of the picture of the two of you with the paper and a separate close-up of the paper, if needed. USCIS doesn't care about your boyfriend's status in the UK but they do care that he's your fiance, not just your boyfriend.

Thanks for the answer :) That newspaper thing is a good idea!

Oh,yes, he's definitely my fiance, I even have the ring receipt. I just type "bf" sometimes online..

If I am able to prove we met/have been meeting in the UK, would that enable me to file the papers before he goes back to Albania? (not too far in advance)

Filed for removal of conditions: April 26, 2012

NOA: April 30, 2012 (received May 10, 2012)

Biometrics: June 8, 2012

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

You can file the papers as soon as you would like. As pushbrk stated, they dont care about his status in another Country... they care that you both meet the guidelines for filing. Send what you have. ;)

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.