jensky

us address on i-130 when we both still live in canada?

8 posts in this topic

I'm in the business of filling out the I-130, hoping it will be accepted at the Vancouver consulate.

I just got to question #18: "Address in the United States where your relative intends to live".

At the moment--like most people who file DCF I'd imagine--myself, the Canadian "relative" spouse, and my US husband/petitioner are both still residing in Canada. We plan to move to PA, and he may do so in the near future, after the petition is in, but as it is at the moment, neither he nor I have an exact street address in the US where we intend to live.

I'm not sure what I should fill in there. Pittsburgh, PA, and that's it? Nothing? The former with a letter attached? Is this an item that consulate dealing with DCF filings overlook? (I doubt it somehow).

As far as addresses go, we could put his parents address, which is in Arizona, but that seems wrong. He does receive mail there, has lived there, mother may well be my co-sponsor, (that address might help to establish domicile I think), but we have no intention of living there.

If anyone could shed light on this for me that would be wonderful.

j.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You will need to provide a US address where you intend to live, and US citizen petitioner MUST show that has NOT given up US domicile while living out of the country.

The visa REQUIRES that the petitioner provides an I-864, and the I-864 REQUIRES US Domicile.

More here: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

Note Vancouver will accept it but your visa interview will still be out of Montreal.

Lastly: pleas update profile, u\you are filing for DCF, and are from Canada, NOT N/A http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...rCP&CODE=01

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

You will need to provide a US address where you intend to live, and US citizen petitioner MUST show that has NOT given up US domicile while living out of the country.

The visa REQUIRES that the petitioner provides an I-864, and the I-864 REQUIRES US Domicile.

More here: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

Note Vancouver will accept it but your visa interview will still be out of Montreal.

Lastly: pleas update profile, u\you are filing for DCF, and are from Canada, NOT N/A http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...rCP&CODE=01

I just want to make sure I am absolutely clear, and sorry if I'm seeming a bit slow. I thought I had researched all of this thoroughly until I got to that question, and I'm finding it hard to believe that every single couple that lives abroad and files through DCF has secured a street address in the US before they submit the petition.

Which, essentially, is what this means: before you can file the I-130 at your consulate, be that in Vancouver (I do realise the processing and interview will be in Montreal) or Manila, the petitioner must have a street address secured in the US at which the couple actually intends to live?

This seems incredible, but if that is the case I do need to be crystal clear, because that changes our plans radically. In fact, I'm not sure how we could even manage the DCF filing. Hubby moves to PA to secure an address NOW, and then comes back to here to petition, and moves back. That is a lot of moving that we don't have money for. We planned for him to petition and then move.

Also, I realise he must have domicile, but from what I've read I don't think that will be too much of a problem in his case: his has a DL, bank accounts, has filed taxes (including 2008), left but 6 months ago, is still receiving mail in Arizona, has a po box in washington. From what I understood domicile and residence are distinct, and you can have domicile without a street address. Please inform if I'm misinformed on that, but that is following what I've read elsewhere.

So, I guess I am just double-checking that every single person who files through DCF has a street address in the US before they file the I-130. And again, I'm sorry if I'm repetitive and seem slow, it's just that this seems somewhat contrary to the whole point of DCF and also changes things drastically for us.

j

Edited by jensky

Just write his parents' address. That's what we put on ours even though we had no real intention to live there.

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Just write his parents' address. That's what we put on ours even though we had no real intention to live there.

Thanks, that's what I'll do I think. It still seems somehow strange, but I guess the form wasn't designed for situations such as this.

Thanks, that's what I'll do I think. It still seems somehow strange, but I guess the form wasn't designed for situations such as this.

Yep, the whole process can seem a bit strange. Using his parents' address or any close, trusted person's US address is perfectly fine. :)

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I just looked at my form I sent in and was approved in Toronto I put

"where the US military assigns us" because I wasnt sure where we would be...

so maybe you can put that you plan on purchasing a home in XXXX

Our Journey

6 June 2008- Mailed I130 to Toronto (DCF)

7 Nov 2008- I130 approved in Toronto!!

21 Nov 2008- Received Packet 3 from Montreal

4 Jan 2009- Mailed Packet back

9 Feb 2009- Medical in Toronto

24 Apr 2009- Interview in Montreal...Approved!!!

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

6 Apr 2009- Arrived at our new HOME!!

13 May 2009- Welcome letter received

19 May 2009- Went to social security office and "applied" for SSN

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

???????<<<<waiting for GC>>>>>>

• 1 year later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

My husband and I are working on our I-130 and need help with item 18 as well. Since this thread is rather old, I was wondering if anyone has new information on what should be filled in for a US address if we currently do not have one?

We both live in Canada right now, but my husband is a USC and will be moving down to Portland after completing the DCF in Calgary. I am confident that we have sufficient evidence of a US domicile as required by other forms, we just don't have a street address at this time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I apologize if I have missed a more recent post about this in my search of the forums.

Many thanks!

Edited by Raenfalle

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.