baby_yo

J-1 Visa holder married to USC

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Dear All,

I'm a J-1 visa holder (exchange student). My boyfriend is a US citizen and wants to marry me this month.

What i have to do to after we get married, where and how to apply to change my status from J-1.

We live in Washington DC.

Thanks in advance.

First, you inspect your visa to see if you have a requirement to return to your home country for two years. If not, simply follow the AOS Guide here. Click on the word Guides at the top of any page.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This wont be a K-3 visa so post goes in the AOS from Visitors/Student/Work visa forum. Moving it there.

This was recently posted about by another member: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2521271

Note J-Visa MAY have a foreign residency requirement that MAY need a waiver filed to be able to adjust status.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html#12

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
Dear All,

I'm a J-1 visa holder (exchange student). My boyfriend is a US citizen and wants to marry me this month.

What i have to do to after we get married, where and how to apply to change my status from J-1.

We live in Washington DC.

Thanks in advance.

First, you inspect your visa to see if you have a requirement to return to your home country for two years. If not, simply follow the AOS Guide here. Click on the word Guides at the top of any page.

Specifically the one that has to do with AOS from visas OTHER than a K-Visa.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Filed: Other Timeline
.First, you inspect your visa to see if you have a requirement to return to your home country for two years. If not, simply follow the AOS Guide here. Click on the word Guides at the top of any page.

oh god, yes i have to go back to my country for 2 years.

What i should do?

i dont want to go back, i cant live far away from him :(

Timeline
.First, you inspect your visa to see if you have a requirement to return to your home country for two years. If not, simply follow the AOS Guide here. Click on the word Guides at the top of any page.

oh god, yes i have to go back to my country for 2 years.

What i should do?

i dont want to go back, i cant live far away from him :(

There is a waiver option. http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1296.html

But more than likely you will need to file an I-130 for a spousal visa and file the waiver when the visa interview comes up at home.

Note also DO NOT overstay the allowed period on the I-94.

Overstays of 180 days to 1 year results in a 3 year bar, and overstays of 1 year or more result in a 10 year bar. Which would also require another waiver.

Timeline
Thank you

i only have 5 months left to finish my study. Dunno i can make it or not to process this.

Start with the DOS waiver page, and work from there, many foreign countries will waive the 2 year residency requirement.

Filed: Other Timeline

There are five grounds for waivers, they are :

* No Objection Statement (NOS):

* Request by an interested government agency (IGA):

* Persecution

* Exceptional hardship to a United States citizen (or legal permanent resident) spouse or child of an exchange visitor:

* Request by a designated State Department of Public Health or its equivalent, CONRAD:

And my situation is that i just don't want to separate with him. And they say "(Please note that mere separation from family is not considered to be sufficient to establish exceptional hardship.) "

So i think i dont have a gud reason to apply for a waiver. Dont you think so?

Timeline
There are five grounds for waivers, they are :

* No Objection Statement (NOS):

* Request by an interested government agency (IGA):

* Persecution

* Exceptional hardship to a United States citizen (or legal permanent resident) spouse or child of an exchange visitor:

* Request by a designated State Department of Public Health or its equivalent, CONRAD:

And my situation is that i just don't want to separate with him. And they say "(Please note that mere separation from family is not considered to be sufficient to establish exceptional hardship.) "

So i think i dont have a gud reason to apply for a waiver. Dont you think so?

The first one (NOS) is the one I mentioned, earlier this is obtained from foreign government.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

hey! I came here with a j-1 visaa and had the 2 year home residency requirment. I got a no objection letter from my home country and through that got a waiver. You should contact your countrie's embassy here in the USA and ask them what the process is. In my case on the costarican emabssie's website they had all the info.... good luck!! It is possible!! :thumbs:

Visit the Department of State website for detailed info: www.state.gov and contact your embassy to see what you need from them. I received my waiver based on a no objection statement from my home country- that is, I think the most common basis for a waiver as it is the easiest to prove and I think the most sure basis on which to apply. Feel free to PM me if you would like any help.

USCIS TIMELINE

N400 (Citizenship Application):

Package sent: 02/17/2012

NOA Date: 02/21/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.