AngelSaint

When should I get SSN

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good day!

Just want to ask,When should i get SSN? Before or after marriage? Thanks for ur advices...

Have a nice day!!!

Eternally destined,

Angel&Saint

MY K1 TIMELINE

AOS

CIS Office : Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2009-02-04

NOA Date : 2009-02-06

Bio. Appt. : 2009-03-03

Interview Date : 2009-05-19

Approved :2009-05-19

Got I551 Stamp : yes

Greencard Received:2009-06-26

EAD

CIS Office : Chicago IL

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2009-02-04

NOA Date : 2009-02-06

Bio. Appt. : 2009-03-03

Approved Date : 2009-04-01

Date Card Received :2009-04-13

Good day!

Just want to ask,When should i get SSN? Before or after marriage? Thanks for ur advices...

Have a nice day!!!

Would be better after marriage.Could be anytime after you get married.Best of luck!

Good day!

Have a nice day!!!

Even though you've file for K1 and posted this in K3 Forum.

I always advise to get your social security card/number as soon as possible and before marriage. Some people place a great importance on obtaining the SS card in their married name and often end up having to wait until they get their EAD to get the SS card in their married name. For us it was simply important to get the card/number and deal with names later. :thumbs:

VJ Getting A Social Security Card Guide

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving from K-3 to:

Working & Traveling prior to getting a Green Card

If you do not enter on an immigrant visa when you get to the US you will not typically be able to work or leave the US without jeopardizing your immigration status unless you have an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or an Advance Parole (AP) from the USCIS. This section also covers getting a Social Security Number (SSN) and is for general discussion on all these topics.

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

Whether you apply before or after you get married is up to you and shouldn't matter. However, some SSA offices seem to get confused when a K-1 has married and applies in the married name. If it was me I would apply now and worry about the name change after you are married. Just be sure that once you have your SSN and are married you go back to the SSA office to apply for the name change right away. Once you have been here 76 days you must have an EAD card or I-551 stamp or card to be assigned an SSN and/or issued a card.

If they give you a hard time applying in your married name, first ask for a manager and tell them to read RM 00203.500 C1 and RM 00203.210 C.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

"When an alien applies for an SSN card, presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued."

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500

It just seemed to work out easiest for us to have Claudeth get her SS card about two weeks after she arrived. It took about a week to receive it after she applied.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.