sweetestcherry

Over a year later and still waiting

18 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So, it was a little over a year ago that my husband and I filed to remove the conditions on his greencard. On USCIS's website, it shows that Vermont officially received his application package on 12/26/07. He was fingerprinted on 1/23/08 (which is also the last date that this application was touched; other applications, including his adjustment of status and employment one were touched 3/9/08). At this time, we have heard nothing at all, as to the status of his case. His letter which extends his greencard is good through 3/2/09.

Since it's been over a year at this point, what is our next step? Do we continue to wait, until we approach a time closer to when his greencard will expire? Should I set up an Infopass appointment? I have not called them, because I've seen other posters who have and received no assistance.

Vermont's case processing timeline says that they are currently processing applications around 12/30/07- do I wait until they move on from that date?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

12/06/07 I-751 application sent

12/08/07 I-751 application received at VSC

12/10/07 Check cashed

12/17/07 NOA1 received

01/22/08 Biometrics Appointment

01/23/08 Touched

12/29/08 Contacted USCIS Customer Service for inquiry

02/19/09 Requested formal inquiry by Senator Arlen Specter

04/03/09 Card Production Ordered

04/10/09 10 Year Greencard Received!

It sounds like you will need to get another extention on the conditional card.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Thanks for your response. I understand that that may be a possibility, but when? Can I do that now? Or do I have to wait until a month before it expires? A week? The day of? And what about our case in the meantime? Should we make an appointment with Infopass now or do we have to wait until closer to the expiration date? Do I need to send a formal letter to USCIS to request why it's taking so long?

12/10/07 Check cashed

12/17/07 NOA1 received

01/23/08 Touched

Thanks for your response. I understand that that may be a possibility, but when? Can I do that now? Or do I have to wait until a month before it expires? A week? The day of? And what about our case in the meantime? Should we make an appointment with Infopass now or do we have to wait until closer to the expiration date? Do I need to send a formal letter to USCIS to request why it's taking so long?

My letter of extension expires on Jan 23rd. I called the helpdesk last week and got a really helpful lady on. She suggested that I make an Infopass appointment and get an I-551 stamp in my passport and in the meanwhile she would raise a service request to try and find out why my case had not been touched since March 3rd. I don't know if the service request will make any difference but I have an Infopass appointment for the 7th of January to be on the safe side.

Your dates confuse me though - you say that your husband's application was received on December 26th 2007 and he had his Biometrics on January 23rd yet his extension letter doesn't expire till March. Are you sure about that? Extension letters normally cover a year from the date that USCIS receives your I-751 application (or CR-189 as they refer to it), whicvh would make it around the end of December, so it seems odd that your husband appears to have a 15 month extension. Also, you mention AOS and Employment applications being processed this year - how did he get a provisional Green Card before he successfully adjusted his status (AOS)?

Linda & Dave's Timeline

*** Early dates removed due to size of sig ***

May 05 2005 - Visa interview scheduled in London [APPROVED!!!!]

Jun 08 2005 - Flew into JFK

Jun 28 2005 - Married!!!

Aug 04 2005 - Sent off AOS

Aug 09 2005 - NOAs for AOD

Dec 01 2005 - Infopass app in Philly: approved and issued and EAD. Biometrics done!!

Dec 16 2005 - case transferred to CSC

Dec 27 2005 - pass my driving test and get LICENSED!!!!

Feb 2006 - Conditional Green Card received

Mar 21 2006 - start first job, IT contractor

Jul 31 2006 - Job becomes permanent

Jan 02 2008 - Submitted I-751

Jan 28 2008 - I-751 NOA received

Feb 29 2008 - Biometrics

Jan 05 2009 - Approved!!!

My letter of extension expires on Jan 23rd. I called the helpdesk last week and got a really helpful lady on. She suggested that I make an Infopass appointment and get an I-551 stamp in my passport and in the meanwhile she would raise a service request to try and find out why my case had not been touched since March 3rd. I don't know if the service request will make any difference but I have an Infopass appointment for the 7th of January to be on the safe side.

Your dates confuse me though - you say that your husband's application was received on December 26th 2007 and he had his Biometrics on January 23rd yet his extension letter doesn't expire till March. Are you sure about that? Extension letters normally cover a year from the date that USCIS receives your I-751 application (or CR-189 as they refer to it), whicvh would make it around the end of December, so it seems odd that your husband appears to have a 15 month extension. Also, you mention AOS and Employment applications being processed this year - how did he get a provisional Green Card before he successfully adjusted his status (AOS)?

Now I'm confused. Doesn't the letter extend the greencard a year from its expiration date? His greencard expired 3/2/08- doesn't it now expire 3/2/09, due to the letter? Or does his greencard expire a year from when the letter was issued to us (which would be December)? If it expires a date from the letter, then now I'm panicking because technically it's expired.

The AOS and EAD applications were approved in 2005/2006- however, they are still in his online profile on USCIS and it shows that both applications were last updated/touched 3/9/08. Does that make sense?

I really really REALLY hate this.

12/10/07 Check cashed

12/17/07 NOA1 received

01/23/08 Touched

Now I'm confused. Doesn't the letter extend the greencard a year from its expiration date? His greencard expired 3/2/08- doesn't it now expire 3/2/09, due to the letter? Or does his greencard expire a year from when the letter was issued to us (which would be December)? If it expires a date from the letter, then now I'm panicking because technically it's expired.

The AOS and EAD applications were approved in 2005/2006- however, they are still in his online profile on USCIS and it shows that both applications were last updated/touched 3/9/08. Does that make sense?

Yes, you're absolutely right sweetestcherry, I missed the fact he'd applied 90 days before the expiration of his provisional card - too much b*e*e*r at Christmas. :(

OK, it was the March 08 'touch' on the AOS and EAD applications that threw me - too much b*e*e*r after Christmas too!! :( :(

And yeah, it does suck.

Good luck with his lifting of conditions - under the circumstances I think it is too early to consider getting an I-551 yet; perhaps if he's not approved by mid-February then he should consider making an Infopass appointment.

Linda & Dave's Timeline

Jun 28 2005 - Married!!!

Dec 01 2005 - Infopass app in Philly: approved and issued and EAD. Biometrics done!!

Feb 29 2008 - Biometrics

Yes, you're absolutely right sweetestcherry, I missed the fact he'd applied 90 days before the expiration of his provisional card - too much b*e*e*r at Christmas. :(

OK, it was the March 08 'touch' on the AOS and EAD applications that threw me - too much b*e*e*r after Christmas too!! :( :(

And yeah, it does suck.

Good luck with his lifting of conditions - under the circumstances I think it is too early to consider getting an I-551 yet; perhaps if he's not approved by mid-February then he should consider making an Infopass appointment.

So basically he is still "in status," and will remain so until 3/2/09?

I think I'm still going to schedule an InfoPass appt. They have a few avail. this Wednesday morning.

Sorry for the confusion! This stuff gives me an ulcer. I need a xanax, lol.

12/10/07 Check cashed

12/17/07 NOA1 received

01/23/08 Touched

Some others have suggested info pass, that should do it.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Looks like you can apply for USC soon if you want USC. I've "heard" doing so will expedite the I-751. Don't know how true that is.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

OK, it was the March 08 'touch' on the AOS and EAD applications that threw me - too much b*e*e*r after Christmas too!! :(:(

And yeah, it does suck.

I think I'm still going to schedule an InfoPass appt. They have a few avail. this Wednesday morning.

Hi sweetestcherry; the only reason I suggested waiting a bit longer to get the stamp is that I read that the local offices are reluctant to give out I-551 stamps unless there is a pressing reason as it means more work for them - I was reading a thread on another board recently where someone failed to get a stamp because their extension letter was not yet due to expire. It may be worth giving the helpline a call first, just to save a wasted journey.

Linda & Dave's Timeline

Jun 28 2005 - Married!!!

Feb 29 2008 - Biometrics

OK, it was the March 08 'touch' on the AOS and EAD applications that threw me - too much b*e*e*r after Christmas too!! :(:(

And yeah, it does suck.

Hi sweetestcherry; the only reason I suggested waiting a bit longer to get the stamp is that I read that the local offices are reluctant to give out I-551 stamps unless there is a pressing reason as it means more work for them - I was reading a thread on another board recently where someone failed to get a stamp because their extension letter was not yet due to expire. It may be worth giving the helpline a call first, just to save a wasted journey.

Would that be a helpline on the letter? Or on the website? Sorry for the dumb question. I tried calling this #: 800) 375 – 5283 on the website and checked our status and it was unchanged; and then it said the customer service reps had no additional information.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

12/10/07 Check cashed

12/17/07 NOA1 received

01/23/08 Touched

there's no help line; however you'll get to talk to an operator if you choose the option "you don't know/have your receipt number" or "your case is out of the processing time frame"

Thanks!

12/10/07 Check cashed

12/17/07 NOA1 received

01/23/08 Touched

Just apply for citizenship.You must be eligible already.Why worry about this damn card?

!. I don't think he's eligible for Citizenship until he's been a resident for at least three years- that would be March 2009. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. We don't have the extra cash lying around right now to apply for it, unless absolutely necessary. We both work full time, I'm also a graduate student, money is extraordinarily tight, as it is for many people right now.

As an added note, I resent the fact that I have to do additional paperwork and pay additional fees for an additional application just to get basic service on a previous application. That's BS. And I realize that we're dealing with Immigration here, but I'm not just going to roll over and say, oh well, that's how it goes.

3. My husband is still not sure he wants Citizenship. Personally, I would prefer that he go for dual citizenship because it would make both our lives easier with regards to all of this bs, but it's a personal decision, and it's his decision.

12/10/07 Check cashed

12/17/07 NOA1 received

01/23/08 Touched

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.