nunyab

If you had known then what you know now??

373 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Insha'allah my husband will be here next month... and i am always asking people what the new things thing learned about their husbands and what would you have done differently?

Also quirky things to be on the look out ie. not having his underwear and hers washed together (mine could care less as long as he had clean underclothes) but that has happened to someone i have known.

Jen has helped me bunches :thumbs: with what to to so would like to hear other things.

OUr MENA s/o will have to get used to alot of things what did you do to help?

~Rajaa :star:

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found out last night that mine is not happy coz he doesn't have enough clothes. He hasn't said a word about it prior so I had no idea...especially since he always tells me that he doesn't need more clothes coz he doesn't get too dirty. Therefore, I'd recommend making sure your man has enough clothes :thumbs:

Have a lot of fruits and veggies in the house just in case he is wary of new foods.

Take walks around ur area to familiarize him with your area. Or take the bus if that is a main mode of transportation in your area.

Those are just a couple things I'd recommend. There are MANY more...but we'll take it one step at a time lol

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline

awwwww the clothes thing sounds like my husband mine would never say anything until absolutly necessary.... I am nervous since i will only have 2 weeks off with him then back to work. lots of walks for sure i like that anyway.

OH have a set of keys for the house ready for him when he gets here. Mine asked after a co uple days if he would have his own keys ever.... That's when it hit me that...uhh if he's gonna live here..he needs keys too lol.

Interview-December 2005

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Write down your phone number and address to put in his wallet. I "lost" my husband on his first outing. Some guy came bringing him home after he had drove him all around town looking for familiar landmarks. :P

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Write down your phone number and address to put in his wallet. I "lost" my husband on his first outing. Some guy came bringing him home after he had drove him all around town looking for familiar landmarks. :P

:unsure: aww poor thing :unsure:

If money isn't an issue...the sooner he can have his own mobile phone, the more independent he will feel....

Interview-December 2005

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If money isn't an issue...the sooner he can have his own mobile phone, the more independent he will feel....

That was going to be my suggestion, get him a cell phone.

My husband had his own computer in his room. He was planning to sell it before he came but I suggested that he leave it there for them. He said they didn't know how to use it. :bonk: I told him to teach them the basics to get onto yahoo and how to use the webcam. I think this helped him the most because he got extremely home sick, and talking to his family helped him keep his sanity.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

That was going to be my suggestion, get him a cell phone.

My husband had his own computer in his room. He was planning to sell it before he came but I suggested that he leave it there for them. He said they didn't know how to use it. :bonk: I told him to teach them the basics to get onto yahoo and how to use the webcam. I think this helped him the most because he got extremely home sick, and talking to his family helped him keep his sanity.

:thumbs: very good one!!!

also..magic jack works wonders!!!

Interview-December 2005

Filed: Timeline

I second the Magic Jack comment. We are visiting Morocco now and we set up the mj, so now they will be able to talk when we go back to the US, and of course while we are here we can communicate with our friends and family in the US.

Mine misses being able to walk around at night with friends, all the social stuff he is used to. Look into if there are any groups of Moroccans in your area, or any associations or meetups related to his interests. Of course he's not a child, so your not setting up playdates or anything... Think of things he can do to occupy his time before he creates his own social network, has a job, etc.

Actually, I'm hoping I will hear something that will help me help my SO...he gets a bit bored, I'm afraid I am usually content to occupy myself at home and my activities are mostly solitary. One of the early things he should do besides work on AOS is get his drivers license so he feels independant and does not have to depend on you to get around all the time.

BT

If I cause offense it is not on purpose, think about that before you take offense. If you feel offended, consider that maybe I'm not talking about you and maybe I accidentally stumbled onto a sore area and do not know. Thank you.

I second the Magic Jack comment. We are visiting Morocco now and we set up the mj, so now they will be able to talk when we go back to the US, and of course while we are here we can communicate with our friends and family in the US.

Mine misses being able to walk around at night with friends, all the social stuff he is used to. Look into if there are any groups of Moroccans in your area, or any associations or meetups related to his interests. Of course he's not a child, so your not setting up playdates or anything... Think of things he can do to occupy his time before he creates his own social network, has a job, etc.

Actually, I'm hoping I will hear something that will help me help my SO...he gets a bit bored, I'm afraid I am usually content to occupy myself at home and my activities are mostly solitary. One of the early things he should do besides work on AOS is get his drivers license so he feels independant and does not have to depend on you to get around all the time.

BT

another good one!!

Interview-December 2005

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Insha'allah my husband will be here next month... and i am always asking people what the new things thing learned about their husbands and what would you have done differently?

Also quirky things to be on the look out ie. not having his underwear and hers washed together (mine could care less as long as he had clean underclothes) but that has happened to someone i have known.

Jen has helped me bunches :thumbs: with what to to so would like to hear other things.

:luv: I hope things will go smooth for you, sis! I like the suggestions above about having a set of keys made, mobile phone, magic jack, etc. I think its important for them to feel like its both you and your husband's home...not him living in YOUR home.

You're already set on internet/webcam so that will be good for him too! That will help him try to feel less homesick. But hey, some people come here and are totally fine and adjust really well! I pray your husband will be too! :star:

P.S. You already know what I would have done differently... :devil::blush::crying:

Edited by Sheherazade

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Does Magic Jack require a computer and a modem or just a modem and a phone? My MIL can't use a computer but we could easily get a DSL modem in her flat. If I remember right you plug the MJ into something and then the phone into the MJ... I think we'd need an American phone too... (different size plugs)...

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

And as for the cell phone... my husband refused to let me put him on my plan because it raised my monthly bill by about $30 (Dang Verizon... it isn't $9.99 a month for a 2nd line... you have to increase your minutes so it came to much more!) And since he couldn't afford to spend $30 a month we went to Target and got a Net 10 phone. It was $25 for the phone, 2 months of service (300 minutes). And it only costs $15 a month after the first 2 months to keep the phone working (you are adding 150 minutes). He hasn't come close to using all the minutes but is happy that he can afford this phone even now without working... And I feel better because he has it if he gets lost (which happened once...)

Timeline

I work at t-mobile and already have his G1 ready with GPS and one that can show his own location I will also plug in our home address so he can get directions after pushing "at location" and hit to home.....

I feel bad about my husband ever getting lost i can't imagine poor guy :unsure:

Didn't even consider his own keys lol.... haveto put that on my list

Timeline

:luv: I hope things will go smooth for you, sis! I like the suggestions above about having a set of keys made, mobile phone, magic jack, etc. I think its important for them to feel like its both you and your husband's home...not him living in YOUR home.

You're already set on internet/webcam so that will be good for him too! That will help him try to feel less homesick. But hey, some people come here and are totally fine and adjust really well! I pray your husband will be too! :star:

P.S. You already know what I would have done differently... :devil::blush::crying:

yes sweety but i don't think any of that can solely be put on your shoulders. I am looking into the magic jack now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.