Dante

Brand New Day

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I felt despair for a short bit. I managed to get there early enough that I was third in line. The woman who processed my paperwork was NOT happy with me. She asked for everything on the list on her window. What I had neglected to do was bring along photocopies of all of my documents. When it came to the divorce decree for my fiancee (around 20 pages), she was ready to send me out of the building to find a photocopier. Luckily I had a copy of the papers submitted by my fiancee in the first place, including a copy of her divorce decree. I had also forgotten to fill out the DS-156K. I was sent away to fill it out and wait for my fingerprints.

Fingerprinting didn't go so well either. (No explanation other than place my fingers on the pad. Small hint. Don't spread your fingers, and make sure you press them down.)

During the interview the very friendly woman questioning me noticed I didn't have a copy of my fiancee's tax returns. O_o She went off to check to see if I could get by without it. That was the LONGEST two minutes of my life. She came back and apologized, explaining she handles many different types of visas. Apparently mine does not require the tax forms, only my word that my fiancee is working and a description of her job. The interviewer even sympathized, knowing how stressful it must be waiting to find out if I didn't have the correct paperwork.

Other than that, things went smoothly. Rather than anti-climactic, I found the interview to be the least stressful, most calming event of the entire process. It was nice to finally feel in control at some point during this thing. :blush:

Oh, and a five hour wait for my return train ride (which took 5 hours 20 minutes to get to Toronto).

Now, the biggest debate is whether to ship my possessions down now, or store them for a trip later.

January 16th is coming up fast. But not fast enough. :dance: (My trip down.)

EDIT: Not only did the woman processing my paperwork not know what a DS-160 was, but was irritated I didn't have a full printout, only the confirmation with my photo, limited information, and the barcode. However, upon completion of the DS-160, it does specifically state to only submit the confirmation, NOT the full document. Keep that in mind anyone dealing with the new form. Perhaps I'm wrong? I could've sworn it told me not to submit the full document.

Edited by Dante

Filed: Timeline
Now, the biggest debate is whether to ship my possessions down now, or store them for a trip later.

Congratulations! To help with your debate..... lol...... your possessions must accompany you or follow you later. They can't precede you. (If that wasn't what you meant then please ignore this message. lol)

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations - best of luck and have a safe trip in January.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Congratulations! To help with your debate..... lol...... your possessions must accompany you or follow you later. They can't precede you. (If that wasn't what you meant then please ignore this message. lol)

Sorry. I did indeed mean accompany me. Not precede. :blush:

One strange incident though. I was never asked for my x-rays. I even pointed it out to the woman handling my paperwork. I was promptly told "I never asked for it, so I don't need it." :blink: Did I never need these in the first place? Anyone else have a similar experience?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry. I did indeed mean accompany me. Not precede. :blush:

One strange incident though. I was never asked for my x-rays. I even pointed it out to the woman handling my paperwork. I was promptly told "I never asked for it, so I don't need it." :blink: Did I never need these in the first place? Anyone else have a similar experience?

Only a physician is in a position to interpret xray results. When you had your medical, the panel physician would have reviewed the xrays once he received them and wrote a formal report about the xray results. This would have comprised his medical opinion that is forwarded to the consulate. The written report is what the consular officer makes his decision on when you're medical admissible or inadmissible. Mostly because a consular officer isn't competent to form a medical opinion based on results, he needs those results interpreted by a medically trained professional.

I am under the impression that xray are to determine whether there may be the presence of TB.

The gentleman at the consulate suggested that I provide the xray to my new family doctor in case they wanted to compare results from past . I threw mine in the trash at the hotel.

I am not sure about this.

I mailed stuff to the U.S. over a few months before I got here.

So....perhaps it is different if you ship them all at once??

Congrats on getting your visa Dante!

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hope everyone had a wonderful New Years.

My journey has had it's ups and downs. A wonderful Christmas gift of my visa approval. Yesterday I received my visa in the mail. And now I'm traveling down to my Love as a wonderful birthday gift. (Well, around my birthday anyways. :thumbs: ) So January 16th I fly down to Texas!

It's a whirlwind between now and then, closing out accounts, sorting out the rest of my apartment, saying fond farewells, and still working up until next Wednesday. :wacko: But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! So, for everyone still in the process, don't be discouraged. Your day will come!

And of course, thank you to everyone here for their knowledge and support.

Jaime

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hope everyone had a wonderful New Years.

My journey has had it's ups and downs. A wonderful Christmas gift of my visa approval. Yesterday I received my visa in the mail. And now I'm traveling down to my Love as a wonderful birthday gift. (Well, around my birthday anyways. :thumbs: ) So January 16th I fly down to Texas!

It's a whirlwind between now and then, closing out accounts, sorting out the rest of my apartment, saying fond farewells, and still working up until next Wednesday. :wacko: But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! So, for everyone still in the process, don't be discouraged. Your day will come!

And of course, thank you to everyone here for their knowledge and support.

Jaime

Congrats Jaime!! Good luck with the move!! :thumbs:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

congrats!!!

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.