Tankgurl38

Canadian Cell Phone Contracts

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

If you have a fair amount of time left on your contract, it might be worth it to "upgrade" your plan to allow international calls when in a foreign country. That might cost more, but you'll be able to use your phone in the U.S. and depending on how much time remains in your contract, it might cost less. If you have only a few months left, don't bother. But if you have a year or more, it might be a good idea (unless the price is astronomical).

Filed: Other Timeline

I didn't have a contract left with Bell when I moved, I was just going month to month, but I had a helluva time to get them to cancel my phone! I sent them I dunno how many notices that I had moved and please cancel the phone service, and they just kept billing me every month. Luckily it wasn't automatic withdrawl, otherwise I would have had to get medival on somebody's #######. They tried to get a collections agency after me, but I won, because I kept all my records from the first time I asked them to cancel the phone, and every month after that for about 6 months :P eejits.

And I think US phone companies nickle and dime you worse than Canadian companies. I mean really, why the heck do they need to charge you for IN-coming calls from some network other than the one you're on? Rediculous :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My Husband's cell phone was with Bell as well, the contract had expired at least a year before we moved and we just went month to month after that.

Wasn't a huge deal cancelling it - except they said we would have to pay for another month, ie: instead of cancelling it in like 10 days, we will cancel it in 10 days plus 1 more billing month. :blink:

Since my Sister and her family were travelling to Calgary around that time, we mailed them the phone to use. Then Bell cancelled it early. (not exactly sure when) and sent us a small refund cheque :blink:

I too have found, when looking at plans here, that the price is pretty much the same. We have chosen to go with Virgin and just buy minutes with no contract.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The reason I switched to verizon from Sprint was because I had no home phone so was spending muchos money calling canada. Verizon has a Canada calling plan you can get on your cell phone. It has saved me a ton of money so far.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
And I think US phone companies nickle and dime you worse than Canadian companies. I mean really, why the heck do they need to charge you for IN-coming calls from some network other than the one you're on? Rediculous :P

They probably do it so they can get groups of people who know each other (i.e. friends, family coworkers, etc) to all purchase plans from the same provider. The incentive is calls won't cost or use up minutes that way.

As for charging for in-coming calls, I think that really depends on your plan and the provider itself. In Canada, I'm with Telus and they charge for in-coming calls (unless you're on a share plan in which the charge is waived for the other person only) before a certain time. If I call someone or someone calls me before 9PM every weekday, then I get charged. I believe weekends allow calling without charges, but I may be mistaken about that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They probably do it so they can get groups of people who know each other (i.e. friends, family coworkers, etc) to all purchase plans from the same provider. The incentive is calls won't cost or use up minutes that way.

As for charging for in-coming calls, I think that really depends on your plan and the provider itself. In Canada, I'm with Telus and they charge for in-coming calls (unless you're on a share plan in which the charge is waived for the other person only) before a certain time. If I call someone or someone calls me before 9PM every weekday, then I get charged. I believe weekends allow calling without charges, but I may be mistaken about that.

Do you mean you have to use your own minutes?

I get 200 minutes/month/daytime whether its incoming or outgoing, that's standard I'm pretty sure. Incoming are never free unless you have unlimited, no matter what the provider.

I plan to just pay whatever fee - I think I'm going to have to pay around $250. Oh well, I've budgeted it as one of my moving costs.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
The reason I switched to verizon from Sprint was because I had no home phone so was spending muchos money calling canada. Verizon has a Canada calling plan you can get on your cell phone. It has saved me a ton of money so far.

That's the cell plan I got, the Verizon Canada plan it's great!! :yes:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Yeah, we have the Verizon unlimited long distance plan, which includes unlimited long distance for all of North America and Puerto Rico. We've had it for 5 or 6 years now.

I hate that with Verizon (and probably other US phone plans) you CANNOT buy a new phone unless you renew the 2 year contract. I never had that problem with Bell Mobility. When my phone died after my initial contract, I just went and got a new phone and continued my service month-to-month. We tried to get new phones last time here and they wouldn't let us without renewing the 2 year contract. So we did, but now those phones are about dead (convenient how batteries last about 2 years innit? :P ) but since we were thinking about moving we don't want to renew a contract and then find out after we move that our phones don't work or we'd get charged extra fees or something to move the plan out of state :P

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

New York state somewhere.

Ain't gonna happen now though since the market crashed we can't sell our house here for anything near what it's actually worth, so we won't have money to buy a house anywhere else.

Filed: Timeline
New York state somewhere.

Ain't gonna happen now though since the market crashed we can't sell our house here for anything near what it's actually worth, so we won't have money to buy a house anywhere else.

Bleh. I hear you on the house. Makes me sick to my stomach when I think about it. I love New York State. There are so many lovely places to live. :)

iagree.gif

Timeline
Yeah, we have the Verizon unlimited long distance plan, which includes unlimited long distance for all of North America and Puerto Rico. We've had it for 5 or 6 years now.

I hate that with Verizon (and probably other US phone plans) you CANNOT buy a new phone unless you renew the 2 year contract. I never had that problem with Bell Mobility. When my phone died after my initial contract, I just went and got a new phone and continued my service month-to-month. We tried to get new phones last time here and they wouldn't let us without renewing the 2 year contract. So we did, but now those phones are about dead (convenient how batteries last about 2 years innit? :P ) but since we were thinking about moving we don't want to renew a contract and then find out after we move that our phones don't work or we'd get charged extra fees or something to move the plan out of state :P

So I could get a new phone with Telus Mobility without signing a new contract? That'd be neat. I have a Blackberry Pearl 8130, but I do like some of the newer ones, especially those with a QWERTY keyboard.

What type of cell phone did you purchase, Reba? Some are better than others. In general, I prefer the phones made by Motorola and LG. Of course, those companies have their low-end to high-end models, as well. I've seen the RAZR pretty much everywhere and to a somewhat lesser degree, the KRZR. The LG Chocolate is very good and my wife has one with Telus (these are also available with Verizon and other carriers).

I've had Verizon in the past and despite some of the fees and plan restrictions, I've found their network quality to be much better than Cingular/AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. Maybe that's just my experience. So far Telus seems really good, but I've never used Rogers.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I could get a new phone with Telus Mobility without signing a new contract? That'd be neat. I have a Blackberry Pearl 8130, but I do like some of the newer ones, especially those with a QWERTY keyboard.

What type of cell phone did you purchase, Reba? Some are better than others. In general, I prefer the phones made by Motorola and LG. Of course, those companies have their low-end to high-end models, as well. I've seen the RAZR pretty much everywhere and to a somewhat lesser degree, the KRZR. The LG Chocolate is very good and my wife has one with Telus (these are also available with Verizon and other carriers).

I've had Verizon in the past and despite some of the fees and plan restrictions, I've found their network quality to be much better than Cingular/AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. Maybe that's just my experience. So far Telus seems really good, but I've never used Rogers.

Yes you totally can - you just have to pay the full price of the phone - which sometimes is a lot and sometimes is worth it.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

I dunno what we've got now, some sort of LG something or other. They're 3 years old now, and I can make one phone call per full battery charge. And we're not about to spend much money on phones we only use sporadically, like "hey honey, I'm in CVS, what kinda itch cream did you want again?" and stuff like that. I have no interest in QWERTY keyboards or text messaging or taking photos or or or. I just want a phone. I don't think they exist anymore.

The reason we went with Verizon was entirely for the all inclusive long distance plan. None of the other carriers at the time had one, or if they did it cost a whole lot more to include Canada in the plan. Our cell phones used to be our primary phones, until we started getting nickle and dimed to death whenever someone from Canada called me! Then I got a Vonage for home, much much cheaper on the budget!

Timeline
Then I got a Vonage for home, much much cheaper on the budget!

Well I have a home phone with comcast but because I spent a lot of time away from the house, I only ever really use it on weekends.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.