Island1902

Should I move now

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Hi,

I am new to this group, I am actually in dilemma whether this is the right time for me to move to the states looking at the economy condition. We have just got approved last week for I130 as per our time line here.

Now my worry is my husband who is USC has been laid off last June and has been working part time at the management office at the apartment complex that he is staying. Right now I have been helping him every month on supporting him giving about 2K a month. My husband does not has a degree but has been in security industry for a while and the highest payment e got was 19 per hour which was not included overtime.

I am currently making good money here in Bermuda, with less tax . I am working in financial services. Right now I am living very frugal on helping to supporting both of us.

My husband is trying to get into x ray tech school in Community College but the waiting list is very long.

I have 3 years working international and I think if the economy is good I should have any problem getting job but right now infact early this year I was offere for a job by co in states but they said that once I have the paperwork I can proceed however I think its the best to stay with my current company at least if I get laid off I can still get the compensation package.

One good thing alternatively I can try to ask for transfer to NY my office branch but we both really don’t like staying there, but I have some connection that can help me to contact the HR there.

We do not have any saving much and luckily we do not have any debt as we try to pay our bill as much as we can.

Now my question is,

Should I move to states as I am afraid if I will not get a job.

If we decided to proceed with NVC I know that we need co sponsor for us, he filed his Tax for 2007 and since we have not file 2008 tax we don’t have to worry about that.

We both always fight, sometimes its hard because of the academic background that we have. Everytime we brought this issue we will end up fighting. All I am trying to do is to think and deal with this but he seems trying to think that I am moving here is still the best withought giving and support reason on why.

I would appreciate for any comment as we always fight about this as he is always think all I think is about money but the truth is I am afraid if I cant handle being unemployed and I will be depress.

Timeline
Hi,

I am new to this group, I am actually in dilemma whether this is the right time for me to move to the states looking at the economy condition. We have just got approved last week for I130 as per our time line here.

Now my worry is my husband who is USC has been laid off last June and has been working part time at the management office at the apartment complex that he is staying. Right now I have been helping him every month on supporting him giving about 2K a month. My husband does not has a degree but has been in security industry for a while and the highest payment e got was 19 per hour which was not included overtime.

I am currently making good money here in Bermuda, with less tax . I am working in financial services. Right now I am living very frugal on helping to supporting both of us.

My husband is trying to get into x ray tech school in Community College but the waiting list is very long.

I have 3 years working international and I think if the economy is good I should have any problem getting job but right now infact early this year I was offere for a job by co in states but they said that once I have the paperwork I can proceed however I think its the best to stay with my current company at least if I get laid off I can still get the compensation package.

One good thing alternatively I can try to ask for transfer to NY my office branch but we both really don’t like staying there, but I have some connection that can help me to contact the HR there.

We do not have any saving much and luckily we do not have any debt as we try to pay our bill as much as we can.

Now my question is,

Should I move to states as I am afraid if I will not get a job.

If we decided to proceed with NVC I know that we need co sponsor for us, he filed his Tax for 2007 and since we have not file 2008 tax we don’t have to worry about that.

We both always fight, sometimes its hard because of the academic background that we have. Everytime we brought this issue we will end up fighting. All I am trying to do is to think and deal with this but he seems trying to think that I am moving here is still the best withought giving and support reason on why.

I would appreciate for any comment as we always fight about this as he is always think all I think is about money but the truth is I am afraid if I cant handle being unemployed and I will be depress.

I forgot to put my time line

Send I130-3/17/08

Case transfer to CSC -11/13/08

Case approve-12/11/08

waiting for NVC package

Timeline
Is it possible for him to move to Bermuda for a bit?

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to think if we decided to stay in BDA and abandon our I130 paperwork then what will effect on us. I can only stay here max 6 years next April will be my third year. In 3 years I will have to move back to states. I am only afriad if abandoning the paperwork for now will give negative impact on our future paperwork.

Again, I truly appreciate any advise.

One question if I am making 60K permoth is it enough to cover for both of us? We will be staying in MA the rent will be 1500. not including car, car ins and food and utilities? How much will be usually the tax?

Sorry for asking too much question.

Again Ireally apprecaite if anyone can gve some guidance on this.

Thanks!!

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

Are you a PR or citizen of Bermuda?

Something you might want to do is contact the US consulate in Hamilton and ask them if they process I-130 applications, if they do, what are the filing requirements, or if they don't, who would be responsible for that in your area. DCF filing tends to be very quick, between 1-6 months depending on the country. If you had a job offer in the US through your company at that time, it would probably make the I-864 very easy for you because they do accept the immigrant's income if it will continue in the US and meets poverty guidelines. Otherwise, your husband would have to show that he can support you from US sources on his own or with a joint sponsor.

But it is only a suggestion because I don't know how hard it is to immigrate to Bermuda (the USC has to be a legal resident of the country he/she is living in to file DCF). If it is expensive and takes a lot of time, it could be a hard decision to make.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is not a good time for you to move - remember you won't be able to work for a while and your husband is not earning enough to support you both. Best to wait until he gets a full time job - K1 is good for 6mths. Alternative, as your work is so well paid, might he consider moving to your country for a short spell?

:star:

With the current economy I would stay to Stay put where you are at. You mentioned you can be there for another 3 years, who knows what will happen by then, until then stay put and suggest it to your husband if he can move to Bermuda, i am not sure whats' the cost of living in Bermuda, but even some part of the states if you make $60K you can have a very DESCENT life, Great life i should say. Good luck

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

In the US, state & federal taxes will take at least one-third of your 60K income, even more in Massachusetts. The job picture in the US, especially in financial services, is getting bleaker by the day and will worsen in 2009. The US crisis is all about the financial services industry.

Where does your husband live? Jobs in the security field are more plentiful than in most other fields. To my knowledge, community colleges don't really have waiting lists for classes in the health care fields, including x-ray techs. They create more classes to respond to the demand. I am observing that you are sending him 2K per month, which is well above the basic cost of living.

So, I wonder about his truthfulness partly because of his habit of using anger as a control technique. Is he really trying? Why should he, with the support you are sending?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.