ichirensha

Must you adopt dependent of K-1 visa?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My fiance came, we married and a couple of months later her 16 year old son came. We succesfully obtained an adjustment of status for her but now someone has said that I must adopt the son to get an adjustment of status for him. I have never heard of this; is it true that I must adopt him? Thanks in advance for any replies!

My fiance came, we married and a couple of months later her 16 year old son came. We succesfully obtained an adjustment of status for her but now someone has said that I must adopt the son to get an adjustment of status for him. I have never heard of this; is it true that I must adopt him? Thanks in advance for any replies!

No you don't have to adopt him. I adjusted my Wife and her daughter off of VWP. I never had to adopt her daughter. I adjusted them at the same time and they didnt ask any questions at all regarding my step daughter.

AOS

May 13 2008 (Day 1) - I-130/I485/I864/I765 Sent Via USPS for my new wife and step-daughter

May 23 2008 (Day 11) - Checks Cashed!

May 24 2008 (Day 12) - Received NOAs for I-130s/I-485s/I-765

May 27 2008 (Day 15) - Received Biometrics Appointment for June 12th @ 1PM at Tampa Office

June 12 2008 (Day 31) - Biometrics conducted in Tampa USCIS office also I-485 and I-765 TOUCHED!

June 18 2008 (Day 37) - I-130s and I-765 TOUCHED

June 24 2008 (Day 42) - That touch was actually an RFE letter being mailed. RFE for I-864 Evidence

July 16 2008 (Day 64) - Finally mailed back RFE letter with requested evidence

July 18 2008 (Day 66) - RFE Evidence delivered! Signed for by M. Miles

July 22 2008 (Day 70) - I-1485s TOUCHED and Received E-mail "Case Processing Resumed"

August 14 2008 (Day 93) - EAD Card Production Ordered!

August 15 2008 (Day 94) - I-765 TOUCHED

August 19 2008 (Day 98) - I-765 "EAD Approval Notice Mailed"

August 20 2008 (Day 99) - EAD CARD ARRIVED! - Applied for Social Security Number!

August 26 2008 (Day 105) - Received SSN - Took tests at DMV for License - Told license will arrive within 30 days by Mail

September 22 2008 (Day 132) - Received Driver License in mail - They sure took their time mailing that out!

October 11 2008 (Day 151) - Received Interview Letter for November 19th @ 7:00 AM

November 6 2008 (Day 177) - I-485s and I-130s TOUCHED

November 19 2008 (Day 190) - Had interview, APPROVED! Interview took less than 10 minutes

December 5 2008 (Day 206) - GREEN CARDS ARRIVE!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thank you for the fast reply. I also tried to adjust status for my step son at the same time; however, I didn't realize I needed to send in an additional $600 for him. My wife's AOS went through fine but they never contacted me concerning my step son's AOS. I only realized much later that something was wrong. And today, I called the USCIS, where two representatives claimed I must adopt the boy first before applying for AOS.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thank you for the fast reply. I also tried to adjust status for my step son at the same time; however, I didn't realize I needed to send in an additional $600 for him. My wife's AOS went through fine but they never contacted me concerning my step son's AOS. I only realized much later that something was wrong. And today, I called the USCIS, where two representatives claimed I must adopt the boy first before applying for AOS.

The 1-800 line is known as the Mis-info line they almost never give the correct advice.

You do not need to adopt your step-son you just need to file for AOS for him.

not true. been there and done AOS for K-2. I believe would need to adopt if using your last name.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Not true, they don't call the 800 number the misinformation line for nothing.

Son files an I-485 and checks "C" on the I-485, and attach a copy of marriage cert showing that parents have satisfied the terms of the K-1.

One positive aspect of adopting son is it is a shortcut to citizenship, son will get citizenship through the adopting US Citizen parent.

You would file an N-600 http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Lee on CFL did this: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=25649&hl=

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thank You, Do I need to redo all the papers for him, including the affidavit of support. And how much money do I send in?

Now that you cannot file the I-485 concurrently with the K-1 holder the fee will be

$930 if under 14

$1010 if 14 or older

and yes you will submit a complete application package including affidavit of support

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.