Washington Apple

AOS and employment

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am currently working and plan on filing for a K1 for my fiance within the next 2 to 4 weeks as we still have a few documents to gather. I work in construction and I am a union heavy equipment operator. My current contract will be ending in 1 to 2 months and after that I will probably be collecting unemployment benefits for a while, and I am not sure how long as my work is quite specialized and even though when there is work available I dont usually have a problem getting hired, sometimes openings are difficult to find. The contract I am working right now has been going for about 15 months, but will probably be ending before a visa is granted, so I am worried about how this might affect us.

I'v been working fairly steadily for the last 3 years, and have earned between $60k and $85k a year each of those years. I have a decent amount of savings put away too (kind of have to in my line of work because of possible lengthy unemployment between jobs), but still I am concerned that the word Unemployed might speak louder than all that.

Any advice?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If your un-employed, you will need to rely on your savings as an asset, this will need to equal 3 times (125% Povertyline) a little over 52,500 in liquid assets.

OR You can try using a CO-Sponsor, but sometimes this is not accepted in PI.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You could also choose to work outside of your career.... whatever it takes, 1 job or 2 to keep above the poverty line.

Keep in mind that filing, the medical, the visa fee, delbros, her hotel in Manila if she doesn't live in Manila, her flights to Manila, her flight here aren't free so this is on top of what you "might" be sending to her monthly already.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Timeline

Well I looked up what the 2008 Poverty level was, it says for a single person its $10,400 and for a couple its $14,000, so 3X that would either be $31.200 or $43,000. So if I maintain a least $43k in liquid assets then my employment wont be an issue? Do I need some kind of letter from my bank or will just a bank statement work?

She currently lives and works in Singapore so I am hoping she can do her interview there and avoid using the Manila embassy since I'v read they can be a bit difficult.

Your fine.

Your 2008 Tax return will reflect you way exceed the Poverty Level

If you are worried about being employeed, Go and start a small business and get a DBA in your name, cost around $10.

That way you can do your own employment letter.....

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I am currently working and plan on filing for a K1 for my fiance within the next 2 to 4 weeks as we still have a few documents to gather. I work in construction and I am a union heavy equipment operator. My current contract will be ending in 1 to 2 months and after that I will probably be collecting unemployment benefits for a while, and I am not sure how long as my work is quite specialized and even though when there is work available I dont usually have a problem getting hired, sometimes openings are difficult to find. The contract I am working right now has been going for about 15 months, but will probably be ending before a visa is granted, so I am worried about how this might affect us.

I'v been working fairly steadily for the last 3 years, and have earned between $60k and $85k a year each of those years. I have a decent amount of savings put away too (kind of have to in my line of work because of possible lengthy unemployment between jobs), but still I am concerned that the word Unemployed might speak louder than all that.

Any advice?

What's "a while"? I know that may be hard to say but if you would typically work in the summer, you'll probably employed again before you need to provide the I-134. I think if I were in your shoes, I'd fill one out and get it notarized even on the last day of your current contract, just in case. Technically, the financials can be provided a year in advance but I wouldn't generally advise it. What many Union folks do is to list the Union Local as their employer and then just provide three years of tax transcripts as supporting documentation. If you've got the $52K + in liquid assets you could try that but it would be down my list of options as a primary qualifier. You could certainly state the bank balance and provide a statement though.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Well I looked up what the 2008 Poverty level was, it says for a single person its $10,400 and for a couple its $14,000, so 3X that would either be $31.200 or $43,000. So if I maintain a least $43k in liquid assets then my employment wont be an issue? Do I need some kind of letter from my bank or will just a bank statement work?

She currently lives and works in Singapore so I am hoping she can do her interview there and avoid using the Manila embassy since I'v read they can be a bit difficult.

14000 is 100% poverty line this is for military persons, for persons NOT in the military it is 125% and 17,500 3x is 52,500.

The consulates hold people to the 125% considering that it will be the requirement when adjusting status.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Ok I think I will wait until near the end of my contract to get my forms filled out and notarized. By awhile between jobs it all depends on a whole mess of factors, last time it was 2 months before another position came open. Might be less or might be more this time considering the economy.

I dont really want to give them any reason at all for denial, so I am trying to do everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen. The AOS seems to be the potential weak point for me, we have tons of emails and photos, documents for 3 trips to see her, and most of the rest of the required stuff already or soon to be gotten.

Thank you all for your replies, at least now I have some info to work with.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I forget how it works (someone help me), but there is situation where if you do this or that, the interview is in the Embassy in which she is currently living. If she remains in Singapore, this is fine, if she returns to the RP and whatever it is people to make the interview have to take place in Singapore, she'll have to return to Singapore for the interview.

Someone help... I forget the details around what determines the place of interview. I know if can be tricky for those out of country.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.