whiteew23

getting married in foreign country?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

I had a question regarding getting married in a foreign country....I want to marry my fiancee in her native country but I know that it will take much longer to go there (we planned for it in april) then wait for a k-3 application to be approved after the event. Wouldn't it be easier to just send out our k-1 package now and then just get married in april quietly while awaiting the approval for that one and then let her come on that visa? Or am I wrong? Maybe there is something or some downside that I am not seeing here....Please any thoughts about this.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi, if you read the faq's and guidelines at the top of the page, you will get a lot of information to help with the choices you have. I may be misinterpreting, but if you intend to apply for a k1 then your "fiancee" needs to be single on entry to the USA. If you have married by then the K1 visa will no longer be applicable. The dates will become important when your SO applies for AOS, so it is important to read all the information before you make any decisions.

Hope it helps

I had a question regarding getting married in a foreign country....I want to marry my fiancee in her native country but I know that it will take much longer to go there (we planned for it in april) then wait for a k-3 application to be approved after the event. Wouldn't it be easier to just send out our k-1 package now and then just get married in april quietly while awaiting the approval for that one and then let her come on that visa? Or am I wrong? Maybe there is something or some downside that I am not seeing here....Please any thoughts about this.

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

2006 July 21 06 GREENCARD

2008 I751 Application sent Mar 10: Texas Service Center Mar 14: Check cashed

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

2009 Feb 04 10 Year GREENCARD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.