Sign in to follow this  
davidm1982

Request for Initial Evidence - oh no...

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well, bad news came in the post today, with an RFE for our Adjustment of Status. They want 2 things (at least reading through the terribly written letter): copies of my parent-in-law's passport to show that they are US citizens and "all supporting tax documentation" of the last tax return for my wife (the USC). Now, of course I know they are well within their rights to demand this evidence (rereading the affadavit of support instructions I can see the relevant bit), but it is incredibly annoying.

It would be really useful to know how difficult it is to get hold of W-2s and 1099s, which the letter mentions - I know almost nothing about the US tax system. Also, do these RFE's hold things up much, apart obviously from the delay in us sending back the information? The letter says that they will process the Application for Employment Authorization (I-765) within 90 days of receiving the RFE evidence - but the timeline on this website says the average is 59 days from the biometrics appointment (which I have on Friday). Is this just USCIS covering their backs or is it really going to delay things?

So frustrating.....

David

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

There are several places to get your US tax info from. You can check out irs.gov. The # to call to request tax transcripts (summary of past tax forms, which uscis does accept for affidavit of support) is -800-829-1040 and the link to the request form: tax transcript request form.

If she has had her taxes done by a professional tax service in the past, they keep copies & can supply her with these.

If she did them herself, she should have kept copies for her records.

Past w-2's can also be found here https://seemyw2.ceridian.com/seemyw2/cgi-bi...orts?cid=801229.

Did you not include the tax info with the affidavit of support in the first place, or did they lose it? If you provided it and they're requesting more info, I'd send them the past 3 years info.

In my AoS packet I sent tax transcripts for the past 3 years, copies of my w-2's for each year and a letter verifying my employment & salary.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Timeline

We sent them the tax return for 2007, and a letter from the accountant explaining why she did not file in 2005 & 2006, and the RFE letter only asks for the last year's tax stuff. I think the problem was that it was just a copy of the tax return and therefore needed the W2 with it. Hopefully we will be able to send it off fairly quickly, but we shall see. Many thanks for the advice

David

Hi! From what I remember it specifically says in the I864 instructions that they do have to have ALL supporting documents that go with the Tax return. Meaning the W'2 and the 1099, your wife should have these. You cannot file your taxes with out them.

And as far as the EAD, it says 90 days and to be honest the timeline on here is not that accurate (they do try), go to the actual DHS website and look at the timeline for whatever office you filed at. Oh and just an FYI your EAD is on hold till they get the requested information. I know becuase I had 3 RFE's and it took 6 months to get my EAD.

All the best!

AOS

APRIL 24 2008 - Filed AOS Packet APRIL 28 2008 - Package received and signed for by CHYBA

MAY 6 2008 ( Day 1) - Notice USCIS received MAY 10 2008 (Day 4) -Rec'd all 4 NOA's & Status of all 4 online

MAY 12 2008 (Day 6) - Received Biometrics letter MAY 14 2008 (Day 8) - Biometrics done early.

OCTOBER 22 2008 (DAY 170)- I-765:Card Production Ordered/I-131: Approval notice sent

OCTOBER 27 2008 (Day 175)- AP Received

OCTOBER 30 2008 (Day 178)- EAD Approval Notice Sent OCTOBER 31 2008 (Day 179)- EAD Received

NOVEMBER 4 2008- Applied for SSN / NOVEMBER 24 2008- SSN Received

JANUARY 15 2009- INTERVIEW-APPROVED!!

JANUARY 31 2009- GC RECEIVED_No more USCIS for 10 Months[/color]

ROC

October 27- I-751 Sent

October 30- I-751 Received

April 10-10 YR GC Received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

what if two college students ( one F-1 student, and one USC) get married, and they don't any income and never file tax return. how does that F-1 student get his I-485 approved with no tax information send to USCIS????

ROC

7/12 - Sent I-751 Package by USPS

7/15 - Package was delivered at 11am

7/15 - Date of NOA

7/19 - Check was cashed

7/19 - NOA letter was received

7/28 - Biometrics letter received, date- 8/23/2011

8/01 - Early Biometric was done

11/15 - Card Production ordered

11/19 - 10 years Green Card arrived.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
what if two college students ( one F-1 student, and one USC) get married, and they don't any income and never file tax return. how does that F-1 student get his I-485 approved with no tax information send to USCIS????

There's no assurance that the adjustment of status will be approved. If your fiance and later become your spouse.....he or she needs to find a co-sponsor to provide the affidavit of support for you to adjust your status. Even she/he doesn't have an income for the prior years, yet he/she still need to fill out the affidavit of support as a petitoner and your co-sponsor must fill out one, (one affidavit of support from petitioner and one from co-sponsor). As long as your co-sponsor meets the income requirement you'll be likely to get approved. But it depends in your case.

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Well, bad news came in the post today, with an RFE for our Adjustment of Status. They want 2 things (at least reading through the terribly written letter): copies of my parent-in-law's passport to show that they are US citizens and "all supporting tax documentation" of the last tax return for my wife (the USC). Now, of course I know they are well within their rights to demand this evidence (rereading the affadavit of support instructions I can see the relevant bit), but it is incredibly annoying.

It would be really useful to know how difficult it is to get hold of W-2s and 1099s, which the letter mentions - I know almost nothing about the US tax system. Also, do these RFE's hold things up much, apart obviously from the delay in us sending back the information? The letter says that they will process the Application for Employment Authorization (I-765) within 90 days of receiving the RFE evidence - but the timeline on this website says the average is 59 days from the biometrics appointment (which I have on Friday). Is this just USCIS covering their backs or is it really going to delay things?

So frustrating.....

David

Is your case available online? I'm hoping that there'll be no RFE on its way here....goodluck to you..just provide whatever they asked from you to make your case going....

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

so that USC fill out the affidavit of support as a petitoner is a MUST!

What if that F-1 student have enough money (100,000+) in the bank from his parents' support in other country, do they still need a Co-Sponsor?

There's no assurance that the adjustment of status will be approved. If your fiance and later become your spouse.....he or she needs to find a co-sponsor to provide the affidavit of support for you to adjust your status. Even she/he doesn't have an income for the prior years, yet he/she still need to fill out the affidavit of support as a petitoner and your co-sponsor must fill out one, (one affidavit of support from petitioner and one from co-sponsor). As long as your co-sponsor meets the income requirement you'll be likely to get approved. But it depends in your case.

ROC

7/12 - Sent I-751 Package by USPS

7/15 - Package was delivered at 11am

7/15 - Date of NOA

7/19 - Check was cashed

7/19 - NOA letter was received

7/28 - Biometrics letter received, date- 8/23/2011

8/01 - Early Biometric was done

11/15 - Card Production ordered

11/19 - 10 years Green Card arrived.

Timeline

Thanks for the good wishes - I am not sure if the case is available online. We just need to talk to the accountant and hopefully he has the stuff we need, it is just annoying as it holds up the work permit, and extra annoying as we have a joint sponsor who makes way more than enough money for the income requirements, so all teh extra stuff on top of the tax return for the petitioner (aka as my wife) seems a tad unneccesary.

Will keep you posted on the forum,

David

So frustrating.....

David

Is your case available online? I'm hoping that there'll be no RFE on its way here....goodluck to you..just provide whatever they asked from you to make your case going....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.