JYJ

medical (immunizations for my son) in japan

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hey there everyone..quick question (after I give some background info). I'm in the process of getting the IR-1 visa for my wife (we are both in japan) and all that is left to do is get her physical done (which we are doing at the Tokyo British clinic). anyway my question is for my son- who is american/japanese but has lived his whole life (whopping 3 years) in japan. should he have any shots done prior to travelling to the us to live. ( i know we can do them there) he has had all the shots required here in japan but not sure if the embassy will say anything about it at my wife's final interview. i asked the hospital but they couldnt say and i dont feel like sending an e-mail to the embassy for ¥2000 yen ($20)...just for that one question. thanks all---it would really help

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hey there everyone..quick question (after I give some background info). I'm in the process of getting the IR-1 visa for my wife (we are both in japan) and all that is left to do is get her physical done (which we are doing at the Tokyo British clinic). anyway my question is for my son- who is american/japanese but has lived his whole life (whopping 3 years) in japan. should he have any shots done prior to travelling to the us to live. ( i know we can do them there) he has had all the shots required here in japan but not sure if the embassy will say anything about it at my wife's final interview. i asked the hospital but they couldnt say and i dont feel like sending an e-mail to the embassy for ¥2000 yen ($20)...just for that one question. thanks all---it would really help

Was your son born in japan or in america? if your son was born in japan i believe in order for him to get the american passport he will need certain vaccines before that happens. You should be able to find that out at the american embassy website or dept of state website. If your son does not have a american passport you can apply for him at the embassy and they will let you know. Now if he already has a american passport he can get all the shots in the US.

Timeline:

filed I-130: 2007/10/10 (child under 21 unmarried of a USC) "IR2"

uscis sends NOA: 2007/10/22

21st b-day: 2008/**/** (well that sucks)

I-130 approval notice: 2008/06/15 (was approved due to CHILD STATUS PROTECTION ACT, signed by Pres. Bush on August 6,2002)

case forwarded to NVC: 2008/06/16

biometrics bill received: 2008/07/13

biometrics bill paid: 2008/07/15

IV bill received: 2008/07/27

affidavit of support request received: 2008/08/02

affidavit of support request sent: 2008/09/20

IV bill paid: 2008/09/20

DS-230 request received: 2008/10/01

DS-230 request sent via express mail: 2008/11/20 (had to wait a loooong time for police certificates)

NVC receives DS-230 package: 2008/11/29

CASE COMPLETE!! : 2008/12/09 (no RFE)

case forwarded to embassy in Rio de Janeiro-Brazil:

medical exam:

interview date and time:

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Was your son born in japan or in america? if your son was born in japan i believe in order for him to get the american passport he will need certain vaccines before that happens. You should be able to find that out at the american embassy website or dept of state website. If your son does not have a american passport you can apply for him at the embassy and they will let you know. Now if he already has a american passport he can get all the shots in the US.

We went through the process of documenting US citizenship for our child in Canada (my spouse is a USC, I am not). There is no vaccination requirement to document your child's US citizenship. But the USC needs to provide proof of having resided in the US requisite number of years prior to the birth of the child in order to pass on the US citizenship to the child. US Embassy Tokyo has detailed instructions on documenting your child's citizenship as well as the requirements.

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7115.html

As you can see from the website, if you meet physical presence in the US requirement and your child gets US citizenship at birth there are no vaccination requirements.

Thanks

Edited by user97

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.