melusine

How long do we have to file the packet3 ?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello there,

I have my friend who is going through the London embassy.

They received the packet 3 but are not ready to fill all the requirements for the affidavit of support.

Is there some kind of max delay before they send the whole thing back ?

Or is it better to send it all even if the Affidavit will most probably will deny, go to the interview and update the Affidavit after deny at the interview ?

What would be your advice ?

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

The approved petition, NOA2, has an expiration four months after issue so that's a consideration. While it can be extended, it's safer to not go beyond it. The DS forms can go in to kinda keep things alive so they don't think it's an abandoned case. The checklist can go in later when they are closer to ready for an interview. The Affidavit is presented at the interview, so it's not needed before sending back the DS forms of P3. They won't schedule an interview until the checklist is submitted. And when the checklist is sent back, a cover letter can be included saying you would like the interview scheduled after xx-xx-xx date. We did that...asked for an interview after July 15 because of a long planned trip and they accomodated us.

So there's my suggestion of stalling tactics to draw it out a little longer.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Wales
Timeline
The approved petition, NOA2, has an expiration four months after issue so that's a consideration. While it can be extended, it's safer to not go beyond it. The DS forms can go in to kinda keep things alive so they don't think it's an abandoned case. The checklist can go in later when they are closer to ready for an interview. The Affidavit is presented at the interview, so it's not needed before sending back the DS forms of P3. They won't schedule an interview until the checklist is submitted. And when the checklist is sent back, a cover letter can be included saying you would like the interview scheduled after xx-xx-xx date. We did that...asked for an interview after July 15 because of a long planned trip and they accomodated us.

Thanks. That's pretty good advice.

He's on the phone with the embassy and they say I must send a "notarized proposal with my intention to marry him within 90 days of his arrival and have it sent through a solicitor." I don't know why they ask for that when all we're interested in is an extension. Plus that brings in an immigration attorney which I never wanted to involve in this matter. What's up with that?

Just wanted to add to this -- I sent one of my forms in and I forgot to add a message or letter saying what type of visa I was sending in (I think it was the DS-156 and DS-156K). I nearly had a heart attack when I received a letter with those documents stating that my visa couldn't be processed in huge type and capital letters. Once I'd regained my composure, I went on to read the fine print that stated I had to schedule an interview, which was confusing -- I know you can't do that until you have all the documents in. So :D lesson learned is that you should just add a letter or something stating what type of visa it is (K1, etc.), your case number, etc.

He's on the phone with the embassy and they say I must send a "notarized proposal with my intention to marry him within 90 days of his arrival and have it sent through a solicitor." I don't know why they ask for that when all we're interested in is an extension. Plus that brings in an immigration attorney which I never wanted to involve in this matter. What's up with that?

I think they're just looking for some assurance that you're not stalling for any dodgy reasons. While you're legitimate in your intentions, they're a suspicious bunch and I know they do get the occasional applicant who wants the marriage just for the green card -- I think there was actually a recent Visajourney case whose girlfriend ran off with another guy. I don't know how difficult it is to get an immigration attorney, but does it mean you have to involve them in the whole process if you're just getting an extension? I know it's silly, but they're pretty rigid in these matters (because they're stiff meanie booboo heads).

Maybe they might offer an alternative way of offering proof?

Magpie.

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

Timeline

Just wanted to add to this -- I sent one of my forms in and I forgot to add a message or letter saying what type of visa I was sending in (I think it was the DS-156 and DS-156K). I nearly had a heart attack when I received a letter with those documents stating that my visa couldn't be processed in huge type and capital letters. Once I'd regained my composure, I went on to read the fine print that stated I had to schedule an interview, which was confusing -- I know you can't do that until you have all the documents in. So :D lesson learned is that you should just add a letter or something stating what type of visa it is (K1, etc.), your case number, etc.

I think they're just looking for some assurance that you're not stalling for any dodgy reasons. While you're legitimate in your intentions, they're a suspicious bunch and I know they do get the occasional applicant who wants the marriage just for the green card -- I think there was actually a recent Visajourney case whose girlfriend ran off with another guy. I don't know how difficult it is to get an immigration attorney, but does it mean you have to involve them in the whole process if you're just getting an extension? I know it's silly, but they're pretty rigid in these matters (because they're stiff meanie booboo heads).

Maybe they might offer an alternative way of offering proof?

Magpie.

Thanks Magpie. Do you know if they will then purposely schedule the interview within the expiration date? Because then that would have them interviewing on or before 2-5-09. If we asked them to interview later specifically because I'm awaiting a full time job, would they accommodate us and extend the expiration and the interview? It seems like it's hard to get info back from them (London) in a timely manner, if at all. I sent a fax on Thursday of last week and didn't hear back. My fiance called them and they said email us so we did. No word back as to whether they will do anything about our situation. I guess an attorney is all I can turn to right now.

Thanks Magpie. Do you know if they will then purposely schedule the interview within the expiration date? Because then that would have them interviewing on or before 2-5-09. If we asked them to interview later specifically because I'm awaiting a full time job, would they accommodate us and extend the expiration and the interview? It seems like it's hard to get info back from them (London) in a timely manner, if at all. I sent a fax on Thursday of last week and didn't hear back. My fiance called them and they said email us so we did. No word back as to whether they will do anything about our situation. I guess an attorney is all I can turn to right now.

You're in a similar boat to me and Knight -- on Nich-Nick's advice, I sent my documents steadily and finally enclosed a letter requesting an interview in February or March because I want to finish my degree and have time to plan my move. So long as you send all your documents before the expiration date, and if you mark the date upon which you sent the documents, then they're not gonna come down on you for not sending them before the deadline. They're pretty slow at the moment (I'm guessing because of the Christmas rush), so you're not alone in the waiting game. I've checked with them and they have all my documentation and it's processing, so I'd suggest that you send your documents in well before the expiration date but include a letter requesting a specific interview date. This seems to have worked with other people, and hopefully when I hear back from them, I might be able to say it worked out with me too =D.

Best of luck! I hope that helps -- I just wish I could advise you further on the attorney part. I don't think you'll need one (or an extension) if you manage to get an interview when you need it, so long as it's not too far into the future.

Magpie.

Edited by KnightAndMagpie

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

Timeline

You're in a similar boat to me and Knight -- on Nich-Nick's advice, I sent my documents steadily and finally enclosed a letter requesting an interview in February or March because I want to finish my degree and have time to plan my move. So long as you send all your documents before the expiration date, and if you mark the date upon which you sent the documents, then they're not gonna come down on you for not sending them before the deadline. They're pretty slow at the moment (I'm guessing because of the Christmas rush), so you're not alone in the waiting game. I've checked with them and they have all my documentation and it's processing, so I'd suggest that you send your documents in well before the expiration date but include a letter requesting a specific interview date. This seems to have worked with other people, and hopefully when I hear back from them, I might be able to say it worked out with me too =D.

Best of luck! I hope that helps -- I just wish I could advise you further on the attorney part. I don't think you'll need one (or an extension) if you manage to get an interview when you need it, so long as it's not too far into the future.

Magpie.

Thanks Magpie. Will definitely try it that way and let you know how it goes. Good luck to you as well.

All my best,

Aleisha

UK Love

Your expiration of NOA2 isn't until Feb. 6 Right?

You don't have to interview by then. You don't have to extend anything by then.

Just mail back the DS 156 (two copies), DS 156K, DS 157 (if male), and the DS 230 part 1 before the expiration. That shows you are still working on the visa. It's been 2 months that you've had P3 , so I would suggest sending those in now. They set up your file. That's it. Then they wait on you to gather documents and return the checklist. So don't send in the checklist for another month or 6 weeks. Then it takes them at least 3 weeks to get around to setting your interview. If you ask for a later interview, they will probably do it. Even if you don't, the interview could be weeks after you receive the appointment letter. There's somebody on this UK thread that didn't do anything with a NOA in the summer I believe and they are still okay. When you finally interview, take an updated letter of intent from each of you just because you are well past expiration of the NOA2. As long as the Embassy receives something from you, they won't think you have abandoned the petition.

Sometime people break up before the NOA2 and don't ever reply to a P3. So the petition just dies after a period of time, technically 4 months.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline
UK Love

Your expiration of NOA2 isn't until Feb. 6 Right?

You don't have to interview by then. You don't have to extend anything by then.

Just mail back the DS 156 (two copies), DS 156K, DS 157 (if male), and the DS 230 part 1 before the expiration. That shows you are still working on the visa. It's been 2 months that you've had P3 , so I would suggest sending those in now. They set up your file. That's it. Then they wait on you to gather documents and return the checklist. So don't send in the checklist for another month or 6 weeks. Then it takes them at least 3 weeks to get around to setting your interview. If you ask for a later interview, they will probably do it. Even if you don't, the interview could be weeks after you receive the appointment letter. There's somebody on this UK thread that didn't do anything with a NOA in the summer I believe and they are still okay. When you finally interview, take an updated letter of intent from each of you just because you are well past expiration of the NOA2. As long as the Embassy receives something from you, they won't think you have abandoned the petition.

Sometime people break up before the NOA2 and don't ever reply to a P3. So the petition just dies after a period of time, technically 4 months.

Wow, thank you. We sent in those forms before Christmas, but we haven't heard back. So, we assumed the expiration was still in Feb (2nd by the way). So, we've been pretty worried. I will still call them tonight (London embassy) just to let them know what we've done and if there's any cause to worry.

Thanks again,

Aleisha

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.