oliver-chris

do i need police certificate

8 posts in this topic

hi everybody I'm very new with this site.

I know i would get information from this site

I have a question, I have stayed in Alaska, USA for more 7 mos, and now we are applying for fiancee visa , do I need a police clearance from the US when I go to the interview , I read that a police clearance is needed if you have live in a country of more than 6 mos.

thanks

Edited by felicity26

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

From Embassy website:

If the applicant is living in their country of nationality at their current residence for more than 6 months then they need a police certificate from that country (over age of 16)

If the applicant lived in a different country for more than 12 months then they need a police certificate from that country (16yrs or older at the time)

In your case you do not need one if you lived there less than one year. But you didn't say how long you lived there for.

EDIT - If you were arrested for any reason, regardless of how long they lived there then you will still need a certificate.

Edited by Laura+Tom

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
you never need one from the USA regardless of your length of stay

Really? Could you please let me know where they state that? I thought I needed one from both places in the US where I lived for more than a year.

Filed: Timeline
you never need one from the USA regardless of your length of stay

Really? Could you please let me know where they state that? I thought I needed one from both places in the US where I lived for more than a year.

USCIS will conduct those checks for you. It's in the guides if I remember properly.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I find google helpful... While I could not find it on the DOS website, here it is from London Consulate...

Applicants who have resided in the United States are not required to furnish a police certifiate to cover their period of residence as a clearance will be obtained on their behalf by the Department of State.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/pbcerts.html

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.