jase7678

K-1 application

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you all very much for the information.

7 years ago I spent all 90 days of a Visa Waiver working in the offices of a US client. I didn't have a work permit for that and just said to the immigration officer that I was working for a US company for as long as I legally could. That seemed to be OK, but I was only 21 at the time so maybe he gave me the benefit of the doubt??? Maybe too things have become tighter since then???

I have enough money to live comfortably for 3 months, could I use that tack, that i am living with my fiance and have no requirement to work. Could I show them a bank statement? I couldn't face getting to America only to be sent back home because I'm asking for too much.

None of these replies seem terribly promising :( I know I have to wait, but probably like most people on here, I can't bear to do that.

I can't really see a work visa being issued as I have no real need to be in the US. Yes, 70% of our client base is in North America so it would be easier, but it isn't exactly a requirement for us as we have managed thus far being UK based.

The idea of having to spend as much time here as there frightens me too, again I don't want to jeopardise anything.

Boiler, I do have a return ticket, but it's only 2 weeks after my arrival ticket so I'm worried if I say I want to stay for 3 months and they ask for proof of my return, I only have a ticket valid for 2 weeks. As it's a bottom of the range one, it is non-ammendable.

I'm going to take another read of all your replies and come back with more questions later. Thanks very much again.

Jason.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wasn't thinking of applying for a working visa, essentially be there as a visitor living with my fiance but continue working for my UK employer remote office. Is that legal?

No. You will be working illegally. If you are working for ANY employer while in the US, you need appropriate visa/authority to work. You can not do work in the US that you will benefit from in any way.

If you try to enter at the POE and tell them that you will be working for your foreign employer, without having an appropriate work visa, they will deny you entry.

Actually this is a little bit of a hazy area... if they are on WVP, it works like a B2, you can do activities that are related to your foreign employer while in the US. It is not illegal to take business calls when one is in the US on holiday... This would work roughly the same way....

However, to actively look in the US for employment, with a US employer, that is definitely no permitted.

It is not a hazy area. If you are on a B2, there is a clearly defined list of things you are allowed to do - things such as attend training, seminars, trade shows, sales meetings and so on. You cannot do actual work for a client on behalf of your company. Not saying that lots of people don't, but it is not allowed officially.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

1. When you enter the US on the VWP you need a return ticket to leave it. I thought you would be buying a return ticket in the US and coming back to the US on it. You can buy a UK-USA-UK ticket from anywhere.

2. A basic requirement of any entry is that you have funds for your stay.

3. I mentioned my Brother, he works for the UK Subsidiary a US Parent so he is not working in the US for US Clients on his visit, he has in the past, I think he had a L Visa, not sure, long time ago.

4. Your work situation sounds much more likely to raise suspicion.

5. Having said that I have seen examples where I would have said no way will you get in, and they have. When it comes down to it is partly luck. You just need to be prepared in case you are not lucky.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1. When you enter the US on the VWP you need a return ticket to leave it. I thought you would be buying a return ticket in the US and coming back to the US on it. You can buy a UK-USA-UK ticket from anywhere.

3. I mentioned my Brother, he works for the UK Subsidiary a US Parent so he is not working in the US for US Clients on his visit, he has in the past, I think he had a L Visa, not sure, long time ago.

5. Having said that I have seen examples where I would have said no way will you get in, and they have. When it comes down to it is partly luck. You just need to be prepared in case you are not lucky.

Hi Boiler.

1. Buying a return ticket in the US was my original intention, that's why my UK return date is so rediculous. I wasn't sure if the immigration officer would like me entering without some proof of a return date.

2. Agreed.

5. That's what I figured, I wonder how much room you have for negotiation. I have nightmares of them saying go home and not listening to a word in defence.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hi Boiler.

1. Buying a return ticket in the US was my original intention, that's why my UK return date is so rediculous. I wasn't sure if the immigration officer would like me entering without some proof of a return date.

2. Agreed.

5. That's what I figured, I wonder how much room you have for negotiation. I have nightmares of them saying go home and not listening to a word in defence.

You need a return ticket, if it is not transferrable it needs to match your travel plans.

Negotiation, no room at all. More an issue of being questioned and providing answers.

David

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Boiler, I do have a return ticket, but it's only 2 weeks after my arrival ticket so I'm worried if I say I want to stay for 3 months and they ask for proof of my return, I only have a ticket valid for 2 weeks. As it's a bottom of the range one, it is non-ammendable.

Jason.

The last time my fiancee came which was 12/05 we planned on her staying the whole 90 day limit on the VWP, but due to many visits we decided to get a changeable ticket (only about 50pounds more) and changed the return date from Jan 06 to March 06 after entry. We had no problem at all. We didnt want them thinking that we were abusing the VWP by staying the whole 90 days multiple times, so thats what we did and had no problems.

03/27/06 Sent I-129F to TSC (Express Mail)

03/29/06 TSC received petition (forwarded to CSC)

04/05/06 NOA1 date from CSC

04/10/06 NOA1 received in mail

06/23/06 IMBRA RFE notice date

06/30/06 IMBRA RFE received and sent to CSC the same day

07/01/06 IMBRA RFE received by CSC

07/03/06 Touched

07/04/06 Touched

07/05/06 Touched

07/06/06 Touched

07/07/06 Touched

07/08/06 Touched

07/27/06 Touched

07/28/06 Touched

07/31/06 approved NOA2

08/07/06 Received at NVC

08/11/06 Left NVC

08/23/06 Packet 3 received

09/07/06 Medical

09/07/06 Packet 4 received

10/02/06 Interview @ US Embassy London!!!!!!

10/06/06 Received Visa

10/09/06 Flying home

dev319br___.png

The last time my fiancee came which was 12/05 we planned on her staying the whole 90 day limit on the VWP, but due to many visits we decided to get a changeable ticket (only about 50pounds more) and changed the return date from Jan 06 to March 06 after entry. We had no problem at all. We didnt want them thinking that we were abusing the VWP by staying the whole 90 days multiple times, so thats what we did and had no problems.

I'd be careful the next time she visits, though. They now have record of her having stayed the full 90 day last time... and before that. (???)

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline

Jason.

Thanks

Edited by jase7678

Timeline
I'd be careful the next time she visits, though. They now have record of her having stayed the full 90 day last time... and before that. (???)

JenT

Yes I figured that they would probably question her the next time, but we have made that visit the last trip anyway. Next trip here for her would be when she gets her visa :yes:

07/03/06 Touched

07/04/06 Touched

07/05/06 Touched

07/06/06 Touched

07/07/06 Touched

07/08/06 Touched

07/27/06 Touched

07/28/06 Touched

07/31/06 approved NOA2

08/07/06 Received at NVC

08/11/06 Left NVC

09/07/06 Medical

10/06/06 Received Visa

10/09/06 Flying home

dev319br___.png

JenT

Yes I figured that they would probably question her the next time, but we have made that visit the last trip anyway. Next trip here for her would be when she gets her visa :yes:

KAA -

I'm going to be 'max'ing' out our 90-day 'allowance' next time as well. He's only here for 4 weeks now.... :crying:

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline

I went to california some years back and I had a ticket flying from london to LA but I ended up staying in san diago the ticket was for 2 weeks. When I got there I was having so much fun that I decided to change my ticket to add another 2 weeks to my stay - unfortunately when I rang the airline they said my ticket wasnt changeable - I ended up buying a one way ticket to the UK from San diago airport but had to pay around £100 200 (cant remember actually how much). So to your answer yes it is possible to bvuy another one way ticket from the US but best to go via the airline you are flying with originally to see if they can fit you in on another day :)

Lina

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

I once tried to change a ticket too, for the same reason, wanted to stay a bit longer.......................but it worked out cheaper to buy a new one, so i bought a return, to the UK then chose my return date back to the US, at the end of the year december, which worked out great as thats the ticket i used when i came to live here :thumbs:

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Timeline

I see a lot of people with UK partners posting. So why is it that we get 180 days on the VWP to the UK, and they only get 90 days here? Just want your opinions because my fiancee is always angry at that fact being that the UK is our biggest allies. If only they got 6 months like we do, we wouldnt have to be apart for as long as we do now.

07/03/06 Touched

07/04/06 Touched

07/05/06 Touched

07/06/06 Touched

07/07/06 Touched

07/08/06 Touched

07/27/06 Touched

07/28/06 Touched

07/31/06 approved NOA2

08/07/06 Received at NVC

08/11/06 Left NVC

09/07/06 Medical

10/06/06 Received Visa

10/09/06 Flying home

dev319br___.png

Probably because the VWP is the only thing that exists that allows citizens from allied countries to visit here (visa free). I'm not sure how it would fly for the govt to make a 'special' visa for the UK.

Aside from the fact that LOTS of people here can't even get tourist visas for their sweeties to visit.

Consider yourself VERY lucky to have a SO from the UK.

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

TracyTN

Did you read what I wrote? I wanted to know what people thought of US only giving them 90days and them giving us 180days.

Its a two way street and seems like we're screwing them on our end.

I do consider my self lucky, but not because she grew up in the UK.

07/03/06 Touched

07/04/06 Touched

07/05/06 Touched

07/06/06 Touched

07/07/06 Touched

07/08/06 Touched

07/27/06 Touched

07/28/06 Touched

07/31/06 approved NOA2

08/07/06 Received at NVC

08/11/06 Left NVC

09/07/06 Medical

10/06/06 Received Visa

10/09/06 Flying home

dev319br___.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.